Anybody else have trouble passing up all those stone blocks after Queen's Wish?

I really enjoyed Queen's Wish, which is the game of Jeff's that I'd played most recently before starting Geneforge: Mutagen.  When looking at stuff on the ground in Geneforge, I keep coming across wooden boards and stone blocks, and I keep thinking, "Aargh!  I want that to improve my keep!"

That said, I much preferred the Queen's Wish version of treasure, where I didn't have to keep scanning the ground and tables and whatnot for lamps or living tools or something.

Anybody else wish they could pick up those Geneforge resources and send them over to Queen's Wish, or am I the only one who can't keep her Spiderweb games straight? :-)

Like you, my last SW game was Queen's Wish, but I had forgotten about those stone blocks as resources. My problem was an entire 1st run collecting sacks of meal, waiting for the merchant/quest-giver who wanted them...and realizing that had been taken out of the remake. D'oh!

55 minutes ago, BenS said:

My problem was an entire 1st run collecting sacks of meal, waiting for the merchant/quest-giver who wanted them...and realizing that had been taken out of the remake.

While I absolutely & completely understand wanting to avoid spoilers... checking out the usual "What to keep" topic in Strategy Central is usually a good thing to do (of which Randomizer usually has up on the release date, major thanks for that & all the other hard work).   Even if I'm coming back to a game after a few years I'll give it a quick look just to remind me that "Oh yeah, in 'this' game I need to gather up all the bottles of beer that the guards tend to have laying around but don't need to do anything with ... scientific equipment ... other than immediately sell it..."

(you wouldn't believe all the piles of assorted cra...er...things I had piled up all around Vakkiri during my first beta playthrough ... "You never know, Jeff may have decided bleached bones or broken swords have value this time around....")

I piled up that stuff because I didn't know how crafting would work in the game or what was important which is why I make that "What to Keep" post. I still remember going back through a game because I skipped getting something for a collection quest in Avadon: The Black Fortress or worse sold it off in Avernum 6 and now wondered where I could find more of them,

I'm grateful to Matt P. who did those Walkthroughs for the earlier games before I started doing my own.

I didn't realize there was a "What to Keep" post; I'll go look for that!

I wasn't talking, in my initial post, about picking up things because I thought they'd be useful, though.  I was talking about mindset or about yearning for being able to build my own keep, instead of being dependent on the mercy of friendly serviles.   Queen's Wish spoiled me. :-)

Edited to add:  So, having been alerted to a "What to Keep" post, I searched on "What to Keep" in the Geneforge Mutagen section, and the only results were from this thread.  Er, does it have a different name?

Edited by Corylea

26 minutes ago, Corylea said:

So, having been alerted to a "What to Keep" post, I searched on "What to Keep" in the Geneforge Mutagen section, and the only results were from this thread.  Er, does it have a different name?

? ... (wanders off to Strategy Central) ... ? .... Huh, whadda know ... "In all 'other' games there tends to be a "What to keep" thread..."

(I understood what you were getting at in your initial post.  I've just been around SW games since the Exile days  (yes I'm old...sigh) & am used to gathering up/looting everything in sight to trade for cash.  Building a fort isn't the first thing that springs to mind for me (although that would be cool in some of the longer games (where you're there for months of years of game time) if you could build a fort/castle somewhere & stock it with henchmen to guard your loot...of course that didn't work out so well for Kyass* so...))

*A1EFtP/A2CS reference if you haven't played those yet

10 hours ago, TriRodent said:

? ... (wanders off to Strategy Central) ... ? .... Huh, whadda know ... "In all 'other' games there tends to be a "What to keep" thread..."

(I understood what you were getting at in your initial post.  I've just been around SW games since the Exile days  (yes I'm old...sigh) & am used to gathering up/looting everything in sight to trade for cash.  Building a fort isn't the first thing that springs to mind for me (although that would be cool in some of the longer games (where you're there for months of years of game time) if you could build a fort/castle somewhere & stock it with henchmen to guard your loot...of course that didn't work out so well for Kyass* so...))

*A1EFtP/A2CS reference if you haven't played those yet

Hee!  I gather that you're REALLY into loot! :-)  Personally, I liked the Queen's Wish model, where we didn't have to look at all kinds of crap on the ground and decide whether it was useful or not.  I hate playing Diablo and its clones because the loot is just ENDLESS, and I want to get on with exploring the world.  I was really into the first Witcher game, and one of the things I liked about it was that there were only three pieces of armor in the entire game, so when you got something new, it was rare, and it mattered.  So of course most players dinged the game for not having enough loot. 😞

Oh and don't worry, I'm old, too! :-)

10 hours ago, Randomizer said:

What to Keep was merged with the Atlas to Quests and Items and placed at the top since there weren't that may items.

Ah, thanks!  I'll look for it there.

2 hours ago, Corylea said:

Hee!  I gather that you're REALLY into loot!

No, not really.  Unfortunately it's one of the more reliable way to gather money in most of Jeff's economies (I do like the QW model too).  Also understand about Diablo.  Grim Dawn is one of my favorites & ... good lord ... the sheer volume of loot that would be great for a different build (& not the one you're currently playing of course...) is overwhelming.  Thankfully there are filters that will not show items that just aren't worth your time or trouble to schlep back into town (except at the very beginning where you do need every gold piece).

2 hours ago, Corylea said:

Oh and don't worry, I'm old, too! 🙂

I would offer an internet fist bump ... but we might break/sprain something...alas

23 hours ago, BenS said:

My problem was an entire 1st run collecting sacks of meal, waiting for the merchant/quest-giver who wanted them...and realizing that had been taken out of the remake. D'oh!

There's never been a meal-related quest in any Geneforge... There's one in Avernum 4, and then obviously meal is very important in Avernum 6, but meal has always just been a minorly-valuable loot item in the Geneforge games. The only standing subquests of that type in Geneforge 1 are for Shaper records and Shaper equipment, and both are retained in the remake.

37 minutes ago, googoogjoob said:

There's never been a meal-related quest in any Geneforge... There's one in Avernum 4, and then obviously meal is very important in Avernum 6, but meal has always just been a minorly-valuable loot item in the Geneforge games. The only standing subquests of that type in Geneforge 1 are for Shaper records and Shaper equipment, and both are retained in the remake.

I sit corrected. I guess I conflated the 2 series.

1 hour ago, googoogjoob said:

There's one in Avernum 4, and then obviously meal is very important in Avernum 6

Not to threadjack too too much... I think all Avernums have some sort of meal quest. A1 (replaying at the moment so fresh in my mind) is delivered to Formello, A2 I can't think of off the top of my head, A3 the rich guys north of Sharimik, A5 Muck(?).

It's funny the little things that Jeff keeps consistent on throughout all the games/universes - such as meal being really important to A's economy but common in G's.

2 hours ago, TriRodent said:

I think all Avernums have some sort of meal quest. A1 (replaying at the moment so fresh in my mind) is delivered to Formello, A2 I can't think of off the top of my head, A3 the rich guys north of Sharimik, A5 Muck(?).

The meal quests (as with a bunch of other minor sidequests) in 1 and 3 are only in the re-remakes of those games, which I haven't played very much of. 5 doesn't have any meal-related quests, and I don't think any version of 2 does either.