Need more living tools

I keep running into these locked doors and don't have enough tools to open. I buy every tool I can and there are so many locked doors that I will never remember where they are later if and when I get enough tools. Sure I could put many points into 'mechanics' but then my life would be 'nasty, short, and brutish'. Am playing as Shaper and finding it hard.Yes, don't laugh, but I am playing on easy difficulty. 

Raising both Leadership (slightly more important) and Mechanics up to about 5-6 over the first 3-4 levels is pretty essential. Not sparing those points for combat/magic/shaping skills may seem like it hurts or is a waste at first, but trust me - you'll thank me later. With those levels (eventually skilling up to at least 7 Mechanics before training/canister boosts), you'll still be using living tools fairly regularly, but you'll be getting more on practically every map lying around on the ground and in containers for free. I haven't bought a single living tool the entire game, and have a stockpile of 50 unused in my inventory by doing this, with only 5 maps left to complete.

You don't need much Mechanics to have enough living tools. Having 8 by the time you reach Holding Two, Reading the book in Pentil event though you use lots of tools or joined the Obeyers,buying a level in the Winding Road, and getting the Tlnker's Glovers will get you through the game. Also some places have a key that will unlock most doors and containers in a zone. Don't try to open everything until you only need 1 or 2 living tools.

There may be something wrong with your character build if you are having too much trouble.

I'm an extremely thorough completionist, so I hear you. But especially in the early game, before you've had a chance to pump up Mechanics and start collecting some free living tools (i.e. in and around Vakkiri), there are just going to be a few areas you'll have to note down and return to later. Good luck, and have fun.

Spiderweb Software games ALWAYS feature lots of backtracking. Many people keep notes if they can't remember where everything is, including things like locked doors, magic barriers, etc. If you want to see everything in the game, you have to come back to certain things later.

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff

4 hours ago, The Almighty Doer of Stuff said:

Spiderweb Software games ALWAYS feature lots of backtracking. Many people keep notes if they can't remember where everything is, including things like locked doors, magic barriers, etc. If you want to see everything in the game, you have to come back to certain things later.

I'm sure you're right. However whenever I come to a door that requires 16 tools or more to open my first thought is that "Ah hah! Jeff has hidden some super hyper-atomic disrupter blaster in there and I want it!" A peculiar insanity, no?

56 minutes ago, Noman said:

Zounds! I just came across a door requiring 33 tools to open.  That must contain the atomic napalm neutralizer gun!!!!

How low is your mechanics skill? Because there are plenty of doors requiring over 20 to unlock without living tools that have nothing special behind them.

45 minutes ago, mikeprichard said:

Yes, I've never seen anything remotely like 33 living tools required!

It's in the Inutile village just SE of Thorny Fen. The one with all the monsters guarding the entrance. I used all my saved crystals and daze to kill them. Lost my 2 blue buddies. I guess with a mechanics of only 2 I'll be seeing a lot of these doors.

Mechanics of 2 is quite low, but for that particular door there's a key received from Brea for completing the bandits quest - so that would explain it.

https://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/topic/26318-barren-research-how-to-get-inside-the-facility/?tab=comments#comment-315242

Edited by mikeprichard

16 hours ago, Noman said:

Yes, I did find a key once to open a couple of doors. My problem is that it drives me crazy to leave an unopened door behind me. I need to complete things or I'm not happy. I am really enjoying the game regardless. Thanks for the advice.

In Geneforge 4 I left a door locked. Later, I learned there's a whole ZONE behind that door. It was Monarch's basement door. 

In Geneforge 2, 3 and 5 I never got to those special zones. 

As a result, I have never seen an Eyebeast in the game, ever. 

47 minutes ago, Randomizer said:

That fight was supposed to be so hard that you don't do it. At least not until you are over level 10 since the area beyond isn't much easier.

I must have been really lucky because I'm level 4 and was killed every time I tried the Pentil(sp) area. Plus I had several crystals and I got a few critical hits. Now I wonder where to go next with my low level. There is no grinding in this game so guess I'll try that area west of Crag Valley. My options are limited.

The very basic "recommended" area progression is to move east through the southern half of the island, scouting the areas in and around Vakkir, Pentil, and Kazg in turn, then later start exploring the northeast and northwest sectors of the isle. There are still going to be a couple areas that you'll need to come back to when you're stronger (Ascended Labs is one notable example). I don't remember for sure, but the Spiral Burrow (area west of Crag Valley you're referring to) might be another that's a bit tough for level 4.

4 minutes ago, mikeprichard said:

The very basic "recommended" area progression is to move east through the southern half of the island, scouting the areas in and around Vakkir, Pentil, and Kazg in turn, then later start exploring the northeast and northwest sectors of the isle. There are still going to be a couple areas that you'll need to come back to when you're stronger (Ascended Labs is one notable example). I don't remember for sure, but the Spiral Burrow (area west of Crag Valley you're referring to) might be another that's a bit tough for level 4.

It looks like everywhere is too tough for a level 4. Guess I'll go back to the Pentil area and just run back and forth to get healed in the nearest town. Thanks again.

7 minutes ago, mikeprichard said:

If you're on Normal difficulty and below, you should be able to do plenty of stuff around Pentil and continue on the level raising curve that way without many problems. Sorry I can't remember very specific areas that might be good for you right now, but that general plan worked fine for me.

Thanks. I just remembered why I have trouble in Pentil. My blue cryo are both cowards. They run away and leave me to die. HA!

14 minutes ago, Randomizer said:

You need to do the east corner of Ellhrah's Keep to get Cure Affliction to reverse mental effects.

OK, Thanks. I never finished that place because of all the locked doors and the guard. I'll go back and do it. But I'll bet that the Cure Affliction cost a lot of essence which I don't have much of. Maybe I should get rid of one of my blue buddies . Sad.

35 minutes ago, Randomizer said:

Cure Affliction is 1 essence, 3 energy, and 6 action points Combine with Heal and it should help with those flighty creations.

Thank you, I just tried it. Worked fine for 1 rogue at a time. 2 rogues gets very difficult and 3 is hopeless. I thought the shaper was supposed to be the easiest of the 3 characters.

How you got 3 rogues? I only got 1 runner at a time when facing Vlish because they cast terror. What's your control? I have 3 creations and I am at "Weak" control. I never do "very poor" control creations and I bump Fire Shaping to have control. 

The Shaper is probably the easiest class. The Roguecrafter is not. 😛  You are not supposed to spam creations you can't control. And I say that as a very pro-rebel.