New Scenario: Tales From the Tabard Inn

Lazarus.

I'm finally releasing my 24 Hour Contest entries, along with two extra scenarios. The first three took me a week, the next two took me 5 months.... Go figure. Anyways the compilation is finally ready for download (As long as you're on a PC, or willing to convert graphics yourself. I'll have the Mac version soon, hopefully.)

Thanks to my beta testers, who I didn't give much time, and all the graphic artists whose talent I leech off to make up for my complete lack.

Without further ado, Tales From the Tabard Inn . Play them or you suck (although playing them doesn't necessarily mean that you DON'T suck.)

This is indeed a unique scenario. It was very intriguing to play the overall tale through the perspective of each of the characters. It seemed a little buggy in that you had to try various clicks and actions to get the character or program to move when the character was deposited in a new situation surrounded on the screen by blackness, but this was overshadowed by the richness and convolutions of the plot. Maybe a bit too much text for the Hack-and-Slash crowd, but I really enjoyed it.

GOOD WORK LAZARUS!

Quote:
Originally written by Foxman:
It seemed a little buggy in that you had to try various clicks and actions to get the character or program to move when the character was deposited in a new situation surrounded on the screen by blackness
I realized a good way into the scenario that I was being very inconsistent with the "Wait to proceed" / "Attempt to move to proceed" / "Try to talk to proceed" thing, and I apologize. There were times when doing the "Attempt to move" option was required due to engine limitations (Can't move to a new town unless I make you step on a special), and there were other times when for whatever reason I decided to trigger the special from the start_state, so you had to wait instead of trying to move. I probably should have given you both options whenever possible (OCCASIONALLY I do, but not as often as I should), so yeah.... I was too lazy to go back and rip everything apart once I realized this.

Glad you enjoyed it despite this.

I downloaded this for Mac; the Read Me said I didn't have to cut and paste the graphics, so I didn't. Were they supposed to be available in game? They weren't. It didn't seem to affect gameplay, but the scenario did end unexpectedly in the middle of the basement fight from the courier's viewpoint.

Overall, I thought the concept was creative and engaging, and the writing was well done. The whole thing reminded me of The Hunter's Haunt by Dave Duncan, a good read.

You were supposed to be able to switch your PC's graphic to the custom ones (The graphic used by whichever NPC is telling you the Tale in the inn.) Graphics in CMGs are supposed to override default graphics, which is why Mac users don't need to copy the graphics into the data folders to have these graphics accessible.

And what do you mean by unexpectedly end? Did it crash, or did it end the way it's supposed to? (You're supposed to teleport out and find yourself in a clearing, same as in the prisoner's side.)

Note to TJC Shaper: Designing a scenario requires some degree of narcissism (as certain designers are more apt to show than others), so don't be afraid about angering designers.

The Tales are fairly good. Different from "the norm" (although the recent entrants make me question what "the norm" even means), but by no means bad.