i have been thinking of changing my party from one sword, one pole, one mage and one priest to three mages and one priest or a two and two party.

i'm only in the first dungeon, the nephilim fortress, so i'm not too far in. should i try to convert my fighters to mages or am i better off starting from scratch?

i'm playing on hard. This party makeup is what i have been fielding since the first Avernum and i have been happy with it. I have two tanks block off a space and then fire from behind with mage and priest. But if mages rule here maybe I should switch to all magic users.

actually my question is more on turning a melee character into a mage. would it work? or is it missing the first crucial points and won't keep up until the levels balance out?

You really might as well just start over. However, I don't think hard difficulty would require you to have so many magic users. I don't even think torment difficulty does (I have always used a pole weapon user, a bow/melee weapon user, a priest, and a mage, and have beat Avernum 1-6 and A:EFTP on torment and am making progress on A2CS torment). I would just play how I want and ignore the min-max stuff that I don't want to do (although min-maxing stats is typical of my playstyle).

Well, I continued playing for a bit and finally just restarted with an all human party of one melee, two mages and one priest. It seems to be working much better.

It also seems that one tank can basically block off most enemies while the magic users take them out. With two mages attacking and the priest healing the tank fights are going faster with less actual dying.

Well, I continued playing for a bit and finally just restarted with an all human party of one melee, two mages and one priest. It seems to be working much better.

It also seems that one tank can basically block off most enemies while the magic users take them out. With two mages attacking and the priest healing the tank fights are going faster with less actual dying.

I played like this in A:EFTP but because they nerfed dual wiedling, now i'm playing with 3 mages and self-healing priest-tank. So much dmg. :)

Unless your warrior can do a lot of dmg, 3 mages setup will be better than 2. Imho warrior is average, not only because early he's missing a lot (because he needs to be tanky) but don't have AoE too.

I tried playing with a priest tank and 3 mages but didn't like it. The priest tank, being the tank, gets hit by all the debilitating abilities enemies throw at him.. stuns, nullifies, slows, etc. Misses enough turns that healing himself doesn't always work well, and he rarely has a chance to throw a heal at the mages if they need it, and if he dies, no one else has a castable resurrect. This pretty much means one of your mages will need to get enough priest spells for unshackle mind and mass healing to help in the support role, which reduces damage.

Therefore, I prefer keeping the priest in the back. If you're gonna go all casters, having a mage tank might be a better option. Too bad mages don't have a "nova" style damage spell.

A 2 priests with one a tank/healer and the other a healer/attacker and 2 mages works at torment difficulty. Both priests usually summon shades to acts as extra meat shields. It's not as good as 2 fighters, mage, and a priest party until most of them can do adrenaline rush and then all those area of effect attacks can crush most encounters.

• 2 weeks later...

my party was going well until i reached the cold slime by the slith fort. after trying a number of times i couldn't continue anymore. i was getting surrounded by minor enemies which were preventing me from killing bosses fast enough and i couldn't inflict enough damage and heal everyone before my tank got killed. i tried both concentrating on the bosses first and then the minors as well as the minors first and then the bosses but it wasn't working out. so i downgraded to normal for the rest of the game. after that i swept through the aranea web in about three minutes pretty much getting one-shot kills on everyone and same thing on the slith fort nearby. i swept the young ogres and the undead group near formello in two turns. one to smash everyone and the second to mop up.

and i just stopped playing. it was just too easy.

i reloaded my hard mode game, went over to formello and invested in icy rain which gave my two mages AoE. then i skipped the cold slime and slith fort and went to the aranea web first. it is slower but a more satisfying experience and after i level up i'll go back to the slith fort.

i think that the best advice that you can give anyone in the beginning is to invest in AoE as soon as possible. it isn't too hard to get to formello early and the ability to dish out hurt to multiple targets is a serious advantage. this also gets around the fire immune enemies which come way to early in the game.