Spiderweb Game names

adc.

I haven't made a topic since... can't remember...

I'm not making this topic for fun or spam, but this is just my theory.

Where did the Spiderweb game names come from?

Exile: Obviously, people who were misfits are exiled into the underworld.

Geneforge: Dunno, maybe because the Geneforge pool forged magic into people's genes?

Avernum: From Lake Avernus in Italy.

Avadon: In Hebrew, Abaddon means the "Destroyer".

Nethergate: ???

-----

-Nightwatcher

Edited by Revan

Avadon was made up so it wouldn't have trademark conflicts with an existing brand. I thought it was a variation of Avalon.

Nethergate refers to a gate, entrance, to the Netherworld, a lower plane of existence in this case the one of death and magic.

There are probably other explanations.

Geneforge centers on the titular artifacts, which remake people (at a genetic level, in a magical way) and is all about making new creatures.

Lake Avernus is the entrance to the underworld in Greek mythology, so it fits.

Abaddon has an etymology with death and destruction in it from Hebrew. I'm not sure what could possibly get you banned. It doesn't fit with Avadon, though. I think Jeff just liked the sound of it and didn't think through the fact that it's too similar to Avernum. It makes our letter-number abbreviations harder!

—Alorael, who also still cringes at "Lynaeus" every time he reads it and starts picturing phylogenies and Latin naming.

But it also refers to the village of Nethergate. It's unclear why it has that name. I can only assume from its proximity to the portal to Annwn.

—Alorael, who sees all kinds of gates to all different nethers in the area. It is, perhaps, a nether region.

He's said it's from Avernus, the gateway to the underworld, associated with the actual lake in Italy. Avernus is the nominative case and Avernum is the accusative.

—Alorael, who is pretty sure Jeff gave just that reason. He could be wrong, though. That etymology has been brought up on the forums without Jeff so much that it could have driven out the real, secret history of the naming.

He's said it's from Avernus, the gateway to the underworld, associated with the actual lake in Italy. Avernus is the nominative case and Avernum is the accusative.

—Alorael, who is pretty sure Jeff gave just that reason. He could be wrong, though. That etymology has been brought up on the forums without Jeff so much that it could have driven out the real, secret history of the naming.

he totes did give that reason, i'm pretty sure it's even in the avernum 1 readme

It's stated right up front in A1 that Avernum was a name for the underworld, so Jeff was obviously aware of the etymology when he chose the name.

ever wanted avernum and avadon to fuse?

Genevernum!

(Dikiyoba felt the sudden need to inflict that on the newest generation of Spiderwebbers, sorry.)