No difference between lvl 10 and lvl 30?

noname

I just tried an experiment. At level 10 I can kill a rat in two turns with my melee character. So I saved and reloaded game to same spot then retrained up to level 30. Same rat took two turns to kill again. Tried this several times. You would think that with greatly increased strength I could kill the rat with one turn now. Am I simple or something? BTW- I don't like the level cap or the skill tree. What choices do you have on the tree except to build up from the bottom until you get to the top.? Very little!

That shouldn't be right. Shima (my melee guy) could kill some enemies with 1 shot, and those enemies weren't rats. Oh and the skill tree has usually a few paths you can go on. You can go all out with the left and a little down the middle, or the middle and the right. Or you can do what I do-I usually take a character, find an area of effect spell/ability that I can get early, and put the rest of the points in utility skills/the right side of the tree. You will get other abilities/scarabs early on, Its worked for 2 characters I made. The reason that utility skills/right side are awesome in avadon is because they usually help the group and can be had early on. Sorceress has an arcane blessing and other useful right side abilities like daze that help the group, shaman has group heal and melee blessings.

There are not as many paths you can take in this game particularly, but there still are a few you can choose from.

Edit-Oh and Ive never gotten to the abilities at the top, but from what I can gather, doubt I would ever want to.

I just tried an experiment. At level 10 I can kill a rat in two turns with my melee character. So I saved and reloaded game to same spot then retrained up to level 30. Same rat took two turns to kill again. Tried this several times. You would think that with greatly increased strength I could kill the rat with one turn now. Am I simple or something? BTW- I don't like the level cap or the skill tree. What choices do you have on the tree except to build up from the bottom until you get to the top.? Very little!

Did you actually invest stat points into strength? The automatic stat gains are only 1 point in each stat every 4 levels, so that alone might not have been enough to make the difference between killing a particular enemy in one hit or two.

Dunno, tried it again and got the same result. I have kind of lost interest since finding out that I could not go above 8 on the ranged skill. I am partial to bows and usually like to play the ranger but in Avadon you are forced into building both skills. My first frustration was learning that I had to have the healing skill up to 8 to progress. I didn't want to spend any points on healing! Jeff, pay attention, I want choices. If I screw up my game because of my poor choices then I can try again. That's the fun of it.

Dunno, tried it again and got the same result. I have kind of lost interest since finding out that I could not go above 8 on the ranged skill. I am partial to bows and usually like to play the ranger but in Avadon you are forced into building both skills. My first frustration was learning that I had to have the healing skill up to 8 to progress. I didn't want to spend any points on healing! Jeff, pay attention, I want choices. If I screw up my game because of my poor choices then I can try again. That's the fun of it.

Sorry, I dunno what to tell you. Avadon has apparently been Jeff's best-selling game of all time by a pretty wide margin, so you can expect him to do more of what works for most of his customers. Avernum: Escape from the Pit does have a little bit more openness in character building, though.

What difficulty are you doing it on? You may just be seeing almost killing it with the first blow and then finishing it off with the second as opposed to doing two blows and doing half damage at level 10. I'm guessing that these are the rats from the very beginning,

Actually I was in the Beraza pit area. Overall I did like the game and thought of starting over but was daunted by the level cap, skill tree, and the immense distances,indoor and outdoor, to travel with very little to discover. Just clicking and moving, clicking and moving. Very few enemies, but I guess that's because of the level cap too. Otherwise you would reach the level cap too soon. The story and writing are very good too. Oh well, now to try Avernum the Pit.

Jeff likes level caps because it makes game balancing easier. He wants to make a casual player be able to get through the game and not suffer because the beta testers are using god like characters.

For instance in Geneforge 5 players are supposed to reach the Storm Plains through Kratoa-Kel and not by killing the gazer in Lerman's Pass first. *cough* Delicious Vlish *cough* :)

In Avadon you aren't supposed to play the game on torment without being accompanied by Hands.

I wonder: If I change the level to 31, will the cap be broken and allow you to level further?

Maybe. That depends on the type of condition check Jeff used. But since you'll have to hack it all up to get to level 31 at all, you might just as well hack it all the way and make it level 50 or any number you like.