Spiderweb Games Intro Music

Death Knight

I have played many of jeff's games and beaten only about 4, but Ive always found that the intro music to his games were always really really cool, even moreso cooler than the game's themselves.

I like the Avadon 1 music the most because in my opinion it sounded the most like what was going on in the game-An epic Game of Thrones type feel. When you complete the game and get to see what happens at the end, the music playing in the background really made it really cool for an ending.

Avernum Escape from the Pit had a cool soundtrack too and it fit the background of what was going on-Survival.

Geneforge 5 I really didn't like as it just didn't appeal to me that much.

Avernum 6 is pretty epic, but Avernum 5 was the best intro music for the Avernum series games. It really sounded like a song I heard before. Probably an intro from metallica.

I don't know, maybe its because the games appeal to me, but they definitely got some of the coolest music.

Does anyone else find any of the intro music to be really catchy?

I find the quality of the intro music varies. Only Nethergate:R and Avernum 6 have music that really sticks in my head, music that I'll randomly hum to myself sometimes. Most of the other games have intros that I'd recognize if I heard them, but that I couldn't recall on my own. I don't think of them as key parts of their games the way I feel the N:R and A6 intros really lend flavor or atmosphere to their games.

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
Nethergate will forever have the best intro music - end of discussion.
Ain't that a little absolutist?

But I agree with you that apart from Nethergate, spiderweb's other games have a poor soundtrack, which suits geneforge 1 and A1 to some extent: the reason for that is that they have a highly naturalist touch despite being fantasy based. Other than that the others need a more interesting soundrack; like that found in starcraft 1 or diablo 1.

Yes, Nethergate's is the best by far, and I also like A2's quite a bit. The rest for me are mostly forgettable. A4 stands out as making me mute the game before starting it.

—Alorael, who actually likes a lot of the composer's music. Just not that one piece. Not repeatedly.

(For those not in the know, Tyranicus maintains a complete collection of the intro music here.)

I kind of like Geneforge 5 (and remember being impressed with it upon first hearing it). It perhaps isn't terribly fitting for a final epic(?) installment, but the slightly depressive tone kind of fits the entire series in my opinion. Avernum 5 is my favourite from that series too; again, it's probably not the best piece of music, but I felt it meshed well with what little I played of the game.

But yeah. Nethergate is the best, hands down.

Originally Posted By: Crack Team of Cracksmen
Yes, Nethergate's is the best by far, and I also like A2's quite a bit. The rest for me are mostly forgettable. A4 stands out as making me mute the game before starting it.

—Alorael, who actually likes a lot of the composer's music. Just not that one piece. Not repeatedly.

Its funny cause before I found out about the rest of the games, I tried Avernum 4. When I first heard the music, I thought it was epic. Then when I found out that Nethergate Resurrection was the source of it, I was convinced that that was some of the best music for a video game out there.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Didn't E1 have a midi of a Bach fugue looping in the background or something? I seem to recall that being discussed sometime a while ago...
Yes, the early versions of E1 and E2 had midi background music. You can find the music, along with the intro music to every game on my site.

Originally Posted By: Death Knight
Its funny cause before I found out about the rest of the games, I tried Avernum 4. When I first heard the music, I thought it was epic. Then when I found out that Nethergate Resurrection was the source of it, I was convinced that that was some of the best music for a video game out there.
Actually, N:R came out after A4. The music heard in the menu of N:R was in A4 first. The original Nethergate had no in-menu music.

Quote:
Actually, N:R came out after A4. The music heard in the menu of N:R was in A4 first. The original Nethergate had no in-menu music.

The menu music from N:R is also a longer snippet than the A4 opening, which makes it a little more listenable.

Also, because repetition is fun, you can find the music, along with the intro music to every game on Tyran's site. tongue

I don't like the intro music in the newer games much. They're just not very interesting or dramatic compositions, and then the constant looping kills what little interest the piece had. (To be fair, the quality of intro music in many of the older games is pretty meh too. But at least they don't loop.)

Anyway, Dikiyoba's favorites are Exile 1, Nethergate, Geneforge 1, and Avernum 2.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Originally Posted By: Sylae
In case you missed it, today Tyra added the Exile Remake Remake opening music to his site.

Originally Posted By: Nikki
Look at me, I can't even be bothered to post my own link to Tyran's site! I am truly the more optimal spammer!
Wait, are you saying that Tyran's site has the complete musical collection of all the Spiderweb games? I had no idea!

there are very few games that i have played where the music doesnt get annoying after a few hours of play. i think its a problem that has been wondrously avoided by the Civilizations series. the last few iterations have had musical scores that were always noticeable, but yet hardly there. almost enchanting at times. very rarely can i find myself listening to a games background music for 5+ hours and not be horrendously annoyed by it.

mind you though, these BG pieces probably had thousands and thousands of dollars spent on them.