An Apology

Little Fyora

I wanted to apologize for that ridiculous post I'd made over here a while ago.

The purpose of a forum is to provide Interactive Entertainment. If there wasn't any entertainment, there wouldn't be anyone here (it's not as if we get paid for posting). Spam -as in 'useless garbage' and not 'advertisements'- doesn't affect a forum at all. After all, how can it ? It can irritate some people, but you need a bit of a difference once in a while to disrupt the equilibrium, break the monotony.

I love SS games, and I look forward to being an integral member of this community.

Originally Posted By: Little Fyora
Spam -as in 'useless garbage' and not 'advertisements'- doesn't affect a forum at all. After all, how can it ? It can irritate some people, but you need a bit of a difference once in a while to disrupt the equilibrium, break the monotony.

I agree with you in theory. In practice it really depends just how useless it is. If it's garbage that is unique or interesting in some way, that can be good spam. If it's "garbage" because it is both unnecessary and milquetoast, that's bad spam.

I think you misused milquetoast there, Slarty.

I'll point out, though, that the purpose of Spiderweb is selling interactive entertainment, i.e. games. The purpose of these forums is to aid and abet that business. Jeff likes having a way for customers to get help and support from us (he doesn't have to do the work and can make games!), and he's happy if people have fun here, stick around, and buy more games. But spam isn't necessary for either of those, so he frowns upon it.

Or, to rephrase what Slarty said, silly, funny nonsense is fine in moderation, but it has to be funny enough to entertain people.

—Alorael, who acknowledges that there's a fine line. Ultimately, it's a moderators' call. A biased one, admittedly, but one that has to be made.

Originally Posted By: !Trenton.
You could google for one...

Or steal Dikiyoba's, color it red, and take out the backround, but thats a whole bunch more work than needed.

I directly linked to the image on SS's website (I only just realized that this is possible!). Now my only complaint is that this fyora is from Geneforge.

Originally Posted By: Dire Hobbit
I hope we don't get banned for making silly posts sick

I've not been banned. laugh

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Originally Posted By: (absolutely) everything i ever
Pretty much what I thought, but I wasn't strong enough in my convictions to say so earlier. Google-fu has confirmed.

I saw what you did there, but I'm not sure if I should comment on it or not...

That probably counts, right? tongue

Um, milquetoast is used as an adjective way more often than it's used as a noun. Wiktionary lists it as both, but adjective first:

Originally Posted By: Wiktionary
Adjective

milquetoast (comparative more milquetoast, superlative most milquetoast)

Meek, timid.

Yes, it derives from a fictional character named Milquetoast, but that doesn't mean it can only describe a person.

Does any dictionary besides Wiktionary list the adjective form? I've never seen it, and I'm not finding confirmation elsewhere. I appreciate the descriptivism inherent in Wiktionary, but I'm not ready to take that plunge quite yet.

—Alorael, who will point out that the word sounds like breakfast because it does, in fact, come from food. Specifically, bland, soggy food for invalids. The character was named for that, and the word is after the character.

From the first page of google results, besides wiktionary:

thesaurus.com sucks, and it does list milquetoast as a noun; however, it also lists it as a synonym for a few adjectives, in the middle of a huge list of only adjectives. There are plenty of other nouns that could qualify for thesaurus.com's very loose definition of "synonym", and it doesn't list any of them, so it's clearly using milquetoast as an adjective there.

urbandictionary.com (helloooo, descriptivism) lists 4 examples of milquetoast being used. One is a noun, two are adjectives, and the fourth is as a verb (!).

I think this probably is a case of actual use today versus actual use several decades ago. Merriam-Webster lists an adjective form of the milquetoast noun: "milquetoasty"! I've never heard that word used; if it ever was, I'd say it's been displaced.

Originally Posted By: Slarty
Merriam-Webster lists an adjective form of the milquetoast noun: "milquetoasty"!

That adjective is ridiculous yet awesome and so needs to be brought back into use as soon as possible.

Milk toast, however, is disgusting. (It's what Dikiyoba's parents used to make for breakfast when there was too much stale bread in the house for the birds but not enough for bread pudding.)

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Milk toast, however, is disgusting. (It's what Dikiyoba's parents used to make for breakfast when there was too much stale bread in the house for the birds but not enough for bread pudding.)

I dip my french toast in milk/cinnamon sugar before I dip in in the eggs. Works fine for me.