Where in the World?

Actaeon

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Oh, I'm in the Pacific Time Zone, eight hours away from said ocean in a very mountainous area. Go figure.

Yes, and "central" time is actually a quarter of the way around the earth from the Prime Meridian. I mean, both are arbitrary designations, so why not just move one to match the other? It would make way more sense that way.

I'm more or less complaining that it's dark at 4:30 PM in the winter. In high school I got out of class and the sun was already going down. It'd be more reasonable if Nevada was in Mountain time.

Oh, I'm in the Pacific Time Zone, eight hours away from said ocean in a very mountainous area. Go figure.

If you count the Salish Sea as part of the Pacific Ocean then I'm only 5.5 hours away. Otherwise its just over 8 hours from me to get the the ocean while living in Pacific Time Zone also.

I'm more or less complaining that it's dark at 4:30 PM in the winter. In high school I got out of class and the sun was already going down. It'd be more reasonable if Nevada was in Mountain time.

Except for the great old party question, what's the most populous city in the US east of Reno, Nevada? Answer, Los Angeles. Longitudinally it is east of Reno.

I'm wondering about the people in Arizona, though. Now they're on Mountain time, but in the winter they're on Pacific time, so which should they pick? ;-)

Originally Posted By: Slarty
Uh, the answer is New York City. Did you mean "in California"?

Since Reno is in Nevada, mentioning California would give the trick in the trick question away. You'd have to change the question to "second most populous city east of Reno" or "most populous city in the American Southwest east of Reno" or something along those lines.

Originally Posted By: Kreador
I'm wondering about the people in Arizona, though. Now they're on Mountain time, but in the winter they're on Pacific time, so which should they pick? ;-)

Most computer-based clocks give me a specific option for Arizona when dealing with time zones, so I chose "United States (Other)."

Dikiyoba double-voted, since Dikiyoba spends about as much time in Oregon and the Pacific time zone as in Arizona and its time oddity.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Originally Posted By: Kreador
Except for the great old party question, what's the most populous city in the US east of Reno, Nevada? Answer, Los Angeles. Longitudinally it is east of Reno.

Uh, the answer is New York City. Did you mean "in California"?

West of the Mississippi and east of Reno. Right. As Dikiyoba points out, you give the trick away if you say California, because most people think of Nevada as being entirely east of California.

• 2 weeks later...