New Humble Bundle, Featuring Avadon: The Black Fortress

Spidweb

We are thrilled to announce that Avadon: The Black Fortress is part of The Humble Bundle For Android 2. For two weeks, You can get Avadon and several other worthy indie games for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android. Even better, you can pay whatever you want, and a chunk of your contribution goes to charity! This is the first time Avadon has been available for Linux and Android tablets, which is really exciting for us. Enjoy!

http://www.humblebundle.com/

If you would like to know more about the Humble Bundle or you have questions about the Linux or Android tablet versions of our game, you can check out my blog ...

http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2012/03/were-in-new-humble-bundle.html

- Jeff Vogel

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
This will reduce the complaints that Jeff's games aren't available for Window's tablets.
It always was available for Windows tablets. (Tablets running Windows) I think some open source enthusiasts would be quite angry to hear Android referred to as Windows. tongue

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
What original platform does Humble Bundle require? (I'm assuming it's either Windows or iOS, since we're looking at Avadon and not AEftP... which really needs a better acronym.)
I doubt it's iOS, since the Humble games have never been released for iOS.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
I doubt it's iOS, since the Humble games have never been released for iOS.

Fair enough. I though perhaps that one touch based interface would be easier to convert to another.

Originally Posted By: Archmagus Micael
I just saw this. Spiderweb's certainly branched out Distribution the last year or so.

Indeed. We can only hope that sales ride the delicate balance between keeping Jeff in business and not letting him retire.

Originally Posted By: Sylae
I literally "squeed" when I saw this topic.

I gave up the right to squee when I grew a beard. It is not a decision I generally regret, but the exceptions usually have something to do with Spiderweb.

(Yes, I'm aware that I retain the right despite the beard. For all I know, Sylae has a beard and is laughing at me for giving in to societal expectations.)

The addition was for that very purpose. I had Sylae alongside Lilith, Dikiyoba, Andraste, etc in my mental list of probable women on the boards. But then I remembered the (female) singer of my favorite local band wearing a moustache the last time they played, and decided to pull back a bit on the assumptions. (Being at college makes me fear being tagged with terms like heteronormative).

Getting back to the actual topic, I'm curious as to how many actual Android tablets exist. I did a search a while back, and found a massive bias toward phones. I guess I assumed Chrome OS filled (or neglected to fill) that market.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Define... oh, never mind. *facepalm*

You're only doing that to hide your beard, aren't you?

Actaeon, anybody else who has been sleeping: Sylae was born male, but identifies as, and wishes to be addressed as, a female. Dikiyoba prefers to be referred to in non-gendered terms. Lilith, I think, everybody has a handle on (which isn't to be dismissive, just this stuff isn't hard to get your head around). Now, that's SW 101, so lets move on.

So um...I'm doing some math, and according to the website, 45,109 units have been sold (as of this writing). It's been up for about 4.5 hours, that's about 10,000 copies in an hour. The average purchase is $6.20, and if we assume the developer cut is split evenly and that the average payment to the developers is 55% (the default), that means Jeff gets 68 cents a game.

68 cents * 10,000 per hour means Jeff is making $6,800 an hour. If that figure keeps up for all 14 days, Jeff will make 2.2 million dollars.

Originally Posted By: Sylae
If that figure keeps up for all 14 days, Jeff will make 2.2 million dollars.

33mc136.png

But seriously, if that happens, it's awesome. I'd like to wait a day or two before doing this kind of thing though; sales are bound to drop after the first day (when emails are sent, and threads like this are popping up).

Jeff posted sales numbers per day for a sale on his game and the numbers drop quite quickly after the first day. He'll probably make half his sales in the first twenty four hours and see about $100,000 to $200,000 which is still a year's sales under his old system.

Of course we can't have Jeff making too much money because then he'll think about retirement or taking more vacations and delaying production of the next game. smile

Nor is it getting cheaper. But $100,000 on top of the normal sales for Avadon is a pretty good step in that direction.

I'm a little floored by those numbers. Did everyone stop drooling over Elder Scrolls graphics and start appreciating the little guys, or were these customers always out there, untapped?

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
Nor is it getting cheaper. But $100,000 on top of the normal sales for Avadon is a pretty good step in that direction.

I'm a little floored by those numbers. Did everyone stop drooling over Elder Scrolls graphics and start appreciating the little guys, or were these customers always out there, untapped?

Maybe some of us just like both?

In Graphics, Sound Work (really epic soundtrack) and Modability, Spiderweb games can't hope to compare with big budget titles like Skyrim. But that's okay, since Jeff's not trying to compete with them. Spiderweb games' strength are their Stories (which let you use your imagination), their role-playing decisions (do I help the Shapers or the Rebels? Do I help Erika or kill Grah-Hoth first) and their general old-school coolness (I miss shareware CDs, they were a great way to try new games).

Either way, both types of games have a place in people's hearts. And the humble bundle has quite a following now.

That being said, I have all the other games in this bundle already, and I (blasphemy) wasn't overly fond of Avadon, so I won't be getting the latest bundle. Though I do like that not only is Jeff taking the plunge and branching out to new distributers (and more importantly they're taking his games on) but also new platforms.

I do wonder how much those 3rd party porters charged him though... Can't imagine it would have been that cheap.

- Archmagus Micael

Or their cost might have come out of their slice of the sales. My guess is that it's some kind of built-in mini-Wine that just translates on the fly. Not ideal for the big-budget, processor-intensive games, but great for indies!

—Alorael, who thought Jeff must be kicking himself over the years of high prices and limited exposure. But is that true? Before the relatively recent indie explosion, there weren't Humble Bundles and Steam and the like to put your basement games out there. It's possible that lowered prices have only recently become highly viable as more eyeballs have arrived on the scene.

Originally Posted By: Alorael
But is that true? Before the relatively recent indie explosion, there weren't Humble Bundles and Steam and the like to put your basement games out there. It's possible that lowered prices have only recently become highly viable as more eyeballs have arrived on the scene.
This, I think. The point of competitive pricing is to attract buyers from your competitors, and when you're in a niche market with word-of-mouth pretty much as your only source of new buyers, there's not much point to it.

Not entirely, Dinti. A fair amount of the pricing right now isn't about competitors so much as it's about what people are willing to pay for a game on some nebulous principles. It's possible that not so long ago people who weren't won over by Spiderweb's charm wouldn't have been any more won over by a moderate reduction in price; now that people are used to seeing lower-budget, one-man games, they're more willing to entertain the proposition, and then price point actually starts mattering.

—Alorael, who thinks it's mostly a matter of the indie market expanding. Before, there just weren't many people who would consider a superficially crude game. Now that's become fairly mainstream, so the whole thing works more like economists say it should.

Wow, utterly fantastic Android port.

I have to confess I never came across Spiderweb before, despite being a huge fan of similar games, but I'm a convert already.

I was hoping for a really deep RPG on my Xoom for ages, and Avadon is exactly that. It seems to me that a tablet is almost the natural home for these games. Great to just dip in and out whenever I have a few minutes without booting up the PC (although that keeps turning into several hours).

So good I'm actually going to increase my donation, as I didn't realise how good it would be.

I'll definitely give the PC games a go now, but:

More Android please!

Jeff once released figures stating that ~4000 sales was a well-selling game for him. Obviously those sales were at his usual price of $25, and spread out over a year, so doing the very rough math I just did (~96000 sales so far; average price is ~$6, of which the developers get about half, so about 50/60 cents each), SW just earned about half their usual annual income from just this one promotion.

Considering the Steam special offers, as well as now selling there and the App store, I'll hazard a guess at saying Jeff is pretty stoked with how well Avadon has done.

I'm and old school gamer (Ultima/Wizardry/Phantasie etc) and enjoy new games (Skyrim/etc). I purchased Avadon through steam...was actually the first Spiderweb game I purchased...bought it again on Humble Bundle for Android...then again for Ipad...crazy I know but just wanting to show my support for all platforms.

I think a new day is coming as evidenced by Brian Fargo's kickstarter of Wasteland 2...old school rpgs are being sought and Jeff is one of the few that kept the old school wcrpg alive during the recent dark ages. I don't have a MAC but I will definitely purchase both the Windows and Ipad versions of Avernum as I can't wait to play them.