Game suggestions?

dave s

There was a thread about this a while back, but it seemed like maybe we could use an updated thread.

Any good RPGs out there?

I just got done with Bastion, which is a great, if short, action RPG. It has a "home base" set up, where you venture out to different areas. Cool interactive narration. If you walk north it might say "The kid decides to walk north for a while, doesn't find much up there though." Available on Steam and XBL.

I just find it harder and harder to find games that interest me. I was playing Anno 1404 a.k.a. Dawn of Discovery, but those wide open RTS/city builders are only entertaining for so long for me. I need a story to drag me along. Avernum 3 is probably my favorite Spiderweb game. Avadon was okay, but dragged you along by the nose. Plus character development was pretty flat with the skill-web with its arbitrary prereqs.

Anyway, I wandered offtopic.

Good games to play? I've played most of the classics. Not any Ultima after 4, but those are hard to get into and have no choice when it comes to character growth.

I just played Jade Empire, and it's pretty much one of the top 3 games in the Bioware cannon as far as I'm concerned.

If you can wait, TES V: Skyrim comes out in 52 days, and it's certainly one of the biggest franchises in the RPG genre.

I can't think of many others that weren't covered in the previous thread already, though I'm sure I'll think of one as soon as I hit the Submit button.

Transcendence is pretty good if you like space-based free games, also, I've recently been playing X^2: The Assault. Both are very fun if you are into space-based openended RPGs.

While X^2 (and it's prequels/sequels) cost money, they have the bonus of being complete, having better graphics, and 3D.

Oh, and always DF, adventure mode is pretty RPGey.

• 2 weeks later...

Im lookin for a recommendation for a game (that i can finish in a lifetime). I cannot stress that last bit as i find that games that are too big and long 25+hrs cause me to get distracted. I must have 20 games on gog and probably have only beaten 1 or 2 due to distractions. Ive played avernum's 1st series but they are way too big. What i need is something that really can grab me. The last game that did that was when I played geneforge 1. Like jeff's blog has stated, games that are really awesomesauce, allow you to not get distracted due to its awesomeness. I didnt like avadon either.

Ive also played gene 2, 3 and 4 (which didnt work) as i really want to get into an avernum game instead of just geneforge. I played avernum4 and 5, but they were kind of meh. Is avernum 6 any good or is it just a lower quality gene game like avernum 4 and 5. Any recommendations for a game that i can complete in this lifetime?

Avadon is the shortest. After that, Nethergate is probably the next shortest, and it's considered one of the best. Give it a try.

—Alorael, who doesn't think any games are considered bad. Avernum 4 and Geneforge 3 are the least favorites, but no Spiderweb games are very short. 20 hours or so for Avadon is definitely the least.

I actually own blades of avernum. The main reason i stopped playing was that the 1st scenario took me about 8 hours and finally i stopped playing it due to the unclearness of it and countless frustrations. I never completed it. I never got really into the other 3 scenarios because i worried they were going to be just like the 1st-neverending, boring and frustrating. The only scenarios i ever completed were 2 scenarios made by other people and not jeff.

Edit-I would play blades of exile now that its free but last time i tried to get the demo working, it wouldnt work. I think its too old on modern computers and i cant figure out that stuff.