Redbeard battle

Abdulla AlBinali

Heys,

I've been in a battle with Redbeard for the past 15 mins, his health is on half and he seems to be immune to all my attacks..literally. That includes the wands and scrolls.

Any idea as to how he could be defeated? He doesn't seem to be as tough as I though he would be..just time consuming.

There are switches on the far north wall of the room that unlock secret rooms on the far south wall. In those secret rooms are some golems. Destroying them will temporarily make Redbeard more vulnerable to attacks until they respawn, so you have to plant one or two characters in or near those rooms to keep watch and kill golems as they show up.

How many times do Soul Jars spawn? And I no longer believe I could defeat Redbeard especially considering just how few resurrection scrolls I've got. There should have been a merchant before the fight starts to restock. I'll give this fight a couple of tries but If I fail, it'll be it. I would have restarted from an earlier save I have but the leveling cap makes it annoying to actually restart. That said, I look forward to playing more of Spiderweb's games.

Originally Posted By: Abdulla AlBinali
How many times do Soul Jars spawn? And I no longer believe I could defeat Redbeard especially considering just how few resurrection scrolls I've got. There should have been a merchant before the fight starts to restock. I'll give this fight a couple of tries but If I fail, it'll be it. I would have restarted from an earlier save I have but the leveling cap makes it annoying to actually restart. That said, I look forward to playing more of Spiderweb's games.

The Soul Jars respawn infinitely. If you're finding this fight frustrating and don't want to quit, I recommend using the cheat codes. You won't get the Terminal Insubordination medal, but you do get the satisfaction of finishing the game and seeing the end.

From the Avadon Strategy Central...
healmenow -- restore all HP
rechargeme -- restore all Vitality
shieldsup -- provides massive shielding status effects to party

These are good cheat codes to use in this fight. Shift+D, then type in the codes. Use the third one at the start of every round, the other two as necessary, and the fight will go a bit faster.

Originally Posted By: Abdulla AlBinali
How many times do Soul Jars spawn?

They'll keep spawning for as long as Redbeard is alive. You have to keep killing them as they appear while still having at least one character attack Redbeard so you can actually do damage to him. Don't expect to consistently keep all the jars down at once, but if at least two of them are dead then you can deal meaningful amounts of damage.

If you don't have the loyalty of most of your allies for this fight, it's very difficult as there's just too much work for one or two characters to do.

I really feel like this fight would have been better received if Redbeard had automatically taken 100 points of damage or so every time he spawned a soul jar, so that killing the jars didn't feel like such a frustrating waste of time.

Would it be a good idea to have all 4 of my characters in one room, this way I would be able to kill to Jars easier and at the same time have characters near Redbeard to do damage to him.

I'll try for a couple more times before I consider using the cheats. The one cheat I constantly used was to retrain my characters.

Redbeard loves to use terror mental effect and other area effect spells. It helps to leave one out in the main room so he doesn't affect everyone.

I found one sorceress or melee physical attacker in a soul jar room keeps them down fast enough to leave the rest outside.

Yeah, this fight sucks. Hard.

Boss fight design (and the general battle design in most of the game as well) is actually one of the things I love most about this game. Most of the fights are varied enough and just complicated enough to be fun without getting repetitive.

But this one is just hair-pullingly tedious because it takes SO LONG. It even sucks with all 5 characters.

I think it would have been more fun if either Redbeard spawned golems at a slightly slower rate, or if all the Golems were in one room, rather than two (so you don't have to split your team up as much). As it is, usually he'll spawn another golem within 1 turn of when you destroyed the last one. And if he terrifies/stuns just a couple of your characters, it's possible that you'll loose some turns and he'll be able to spawn 2 or 3 Golems, making you loose ground and perhaps permanently set you back.

Which wouldn't be so bad, but it's such a long fight that if he does this after you've been going at it for 20-30 minutes it can be a massive headache. It's really not a fun fight.