So I see that higher posts give different title.

AethirWeb

Glass does not flow at room temperature. The fact that there is no clear transition from solid to liquid does not mean that it is, in fact, a liquid. And as has already been said, old windows were first made lumpy.

—Alorael, who thinks that can be most easily seen by the fact that you never see windows that have sagged to the point of having holes. You also never see any that look anything like slow-motion collapse. Wavy, yes. Collapsing, no.

Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, rebel servile.
This all leads to the most important question. Is cornstarch mixed with water a solid, or a liquid?

I believe that it's a non-Newtonian fluid, which means that it's a liquid that doesn't behave like one when you subject it to pressure, because it doesn't have a constant viscosity.

But fluid dynamics isn't exactly my field. You might be better off asking one of the physicists here instead.

Smoke is not a gas. You're mostly seeing suspended solid carbon particles.

—Alorael, who believes water vapor is also colorless. In clouds, you're seeing aerosols of suspended liquid and ice particles. In steam, you actually see the edge of the vapor as it condenses on contact with cooler substances.

Gases are not necessarily perfectly colorless, but most are close enough that you'd need to look through an awful lot of gas to be able to see any tint. Some exceptions are the excited sodium vapor that makes the yellow glow of some streetlights, and the excited mercury halide vapor that makes the bluish glow of BMW headlights.

Gases have to be composed of rather small and simple molecules, or they wouldn't be gaseous. Small molecules can normally absorb infrared light with molecular vibrations and rotations, or ultraviolet light with electronic transitions. In between happens to be a sort of dead space range of frequencies, that isn't usually covered by either kind of molecular excitation. So most gases are close to transparent in that particular range. It's not a coincidence that this range of light frequencies are visible to humans. It would not be worth evolving light-sensitive cells at frequencies for which even dry air was like thick fog.

Water vapor (steam) in particular is pretty transparent to visible light, though it absorbs both IR and UV quite well. In that sense it is probably the main reason why our eyes can't see in those ranges. What you see in a hot shower is not really steam, but a fine mist of liquid water droplets so tiny that even slight indoor air currents will keep them aloft. If you look really closely, you can see them individually.

Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, rebel servile.
Cornstarch is sol? Solid?

Originally Posted By: Dantius
t's a non-Newtonian fluid, which means that it's a liquid that doesn't behave like one when you subject it to pressure, because it doesn't have a constant viscosity.

Do you even read what other people post?

I just hope noone here is ornicopytheobiblopsychocrystarroscioaerogenethliometeoroaustrohieroanthropoicichthyopyrosiderochpnomyoalectryoophiobotanope-gohydrorhabdocrithoaleuroalphitohalomolybdoclerobeloaxinocoscinodactyliogeolithopessopscphocatoptrotephraoeirochiroomychodactyloarithstichooxogeloscog-astrogyrocerobletonooenoscapulinaniac.

Originally Posted By: Karoka
I just hope noone here is ornicopytheobiblopsychocrystarroscioaerogenethliometeoroaustrohieroanthropoicichthyopyrosiderochpnomyoalectryoophiobotanope-gohydrorhabdocrithoaleuroalphitohalomolybdoclerobeloaxinocoscinodactyliogeolithopessopscphocatoptrotephraoeirochiroomychodactyloarithstichooxogeloscog-astrogyrocerobletonooenoscapulinaniac.

GAHH! WHAT THE HELLS THE MATTER WITH YOU?!??

Isnt that considered spam? I susspect thats getting deleted.

-500,000 points because I said so and I prevent you from getting anymore points! XD

I experimented with it once it my earlier years, with a bunch of tooth picks, and my hands. It was very fun, Punching it and its solid, puting my finger on it and its liquid. I saw once on a show some one running across cornstarch+H2O

Originally Posted By: Trenton
Isnt that considered spam? I susspect thats getting deleted.

It's not spam. It's a joke that plays off the fact that sesquipedaliophobia, or the fear of long words, is a long word itself and scares anyone with the phobia.

Remember, Trenton, you're a lot younger than most other posters. There's going to be a lot of stuff that goes over your head. Read carefully and think before you post.

Dikiyoba.

I meant it in the general sense, not just in this thread and the last few posts. You mostly do a good job, but you can be a bit spammy when you ask lots of questions or talk in all caps.

Also, Karoka, when it's just you and Trenton posting back and forth, that's a sign that you should take the discussion to PMs.

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Karoka
Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, rebel servile
I saw once on a show some one running across cornstarch+H2O
What show was that? I bet it wasn't as awesome as that Korean stunt show where people have to get past these crazy obstacles. I don't remember what that show was called, unfortunately.
Sasuke. (known as Ninja Warrior in the US) It's Japanese, not Korean.

Originally Posted By: Space Between
The example of flowing glass that I referenced earlier was hollow glass tubes that were stored on a rack that only supported the ends, leaving the middle to sag. Like

Code:
_________T       T

Is that not an example?

If an object sags in the middle when arranged as such, and is therefore classified as a liquid, then pretty much everything is a liquid. Wood and steal beams bend down when supported only on the ends. It's a result of the forces being applied, not liquid flow.