Unbound[G5]

Malical

If I'm remembering right, you probably got that quest long before you're capable of completing it. The heavy optimizers here might be able to give you advice to make it work, but my suggestion is to go away and come back when you have higher-tier creations and more essence with which to make them.

—Alorael, who doesn't think anything you're likely to produce is going to live long enough to finish off one of the Unbound. You could try to get lucky with a clawbug horde, but that's still a losing proposition.

How far are you in the Mera-tev? It's possible to take one down before you leave for the Storm Plains, even on torment, but I've yet to hear of anyone doing before they've cleared out pretty much all the level-appropriate content (except maybe Kratoa-kel) in the area. The levels and items one gets from sidequests in the area make a pretty serious difference.

Aside from that, I have the following advice bits:

1) fight them in the outskirts of the swamp, not Gorash-kel. I'm pretty sure the ones in Gorash-kel are stronger.

2) consumable items can be really useful in these fights. Healing items don't help much, since Unbound can take out pretty much anything of yours (including you) in one turn, but some of the spores (especially chaotic) are very good for pre-battle buffing, and ensnaring fibers can cause them to miss a substantial number of turns if you get lucky.

3) it's hard to do, and kind of cheap, but you can make the battle much easier by backing the Unbound into a corner. At this point the AI will only use melee attacks so long as it's blocked in. Unbound melee attacks, while still dangerous at this level, are a lot less vicious than their ranged lightning attacks. This also ensures that it won't attack the squishy PC.

Mauve deer: do all the sidequests you can in Mera-tev, build up a swarm of clawbugs with a bit of ranged backup, buff the hell out of them. Engage the Unbound, debuff the hell out of it, try to coax it into a corner where you can surround it.

The guy has about 115 essence so i think he will get about 4 creatures. With the lightning the unbound will kill 1-2 every round.With acid he will probably kill all by 3-5 rounds but till then they have more chance to live and attack compared to lightning. I guess it's pretty much useless arguing abut this because I am 99.99% sure you can't kill the unbound so quickly/so early. They are called "the unbound ones" for a reason.

Yep. I've beaten them before leaving the Mera-Tev as well, on torment even, but it took a fair few tries, and this was on a pretty min-maxed game.

@Cute Melnachion: I'm not entirely certain as to the subject of our argument at this point. My statement, which may or may not contradict yours, is that Unbound in Gorash-kel use substantially more area attacks, which can wipe out multiple creations in one turn and seriously damage everything else in attack range, and are thus more dangerous.

Originally Posted By: FnordCola

@Cute Melnachion: I'm not entirely certain as to the subject of our argument at this point. My statement, which may or may not contradict yours, is that Unbound in Gorash-kel use substantially more area attacks, which can wipe out multiple creations in one turn and seriously damage everything else in attack range, and are thus more dangerous.

Well the only thing i wanted to say was that when i did them with a high level party the inside ones were easy.But yes you are probably right for a low level party.

To be fair, we've been discussing how to kill Unbound without leaving the Mera-tev or cheating, and you can't get Firesteel Gauntlets without doing one of those things. That said, if you did get Firesteel Gauntlets at level 7 without cheating...how? That impresses me a lot than killing an Unbound relatively early in the game.

Originally Posted By: FnordCola
That said, if you did get Firesteel Gauntlets at level 7 without cheating...how?

I got them at level 5 by avoiding experience. I levelled up to 4 just before leaving the Whitespires. I snuck into the Secret Laboratory through West Shadow road and got the Infiltrator's Tunic. I distracted the Murkwood bandits with Thahds and snuck into the cave via the front door. I used the same tactics with the golems in Kratoa Stoneworks: the second set of servant golems were the only dormant golems to ever wake up. Note the key you can get from Somini is useless. The power core gave me level 5. I let the golems kill Makar outside combat mode and got no experience for it.

I sacrificed Thahds and Fyoras for the Solidified Flame in Thistlewood, then reloaded many times before successfully escaping the bandits (really should have just escaped first - the bandits only spawn once).

Perikalia Orchards is cleared by crossing, Gazaki-Uss not required.

I got the Essence-Infused Iron from Kayar's Spire Cells by luring the guards to the Servant Mind one at a time. The one in Dera Lost Vault would have been easier, though: surrounding the Eyebeast with Thahds will buy you enough time to escape.

At level 7 I'm only missing an Agent's cloak, a decent piece of body armor and a better ring than Dhonal's Band.

Uh, what? There are far more than ten zones in G5. And there are fewer than ten acts, assuming you define as acts the sections that prevent you from moving into new areas until you complete some plot-relevant quests.

—Alorael, who is trying to figure out how you're measuring length, and it's not working. Better units please?