how to download?

noname

I only have dial up, modem access. No high speed or broadband or whatever. So I can't even download the Avadon demo let along the full game. Demo takes 6 hours and network resets before that happens. I would like to see the demo before buying the whole game on disc which would cost about $41.00. Is there some way I could still download it? Thank You.

Software magazines used to come with CDs full of demos of shareware and commercial software. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen very much any more, so there aren't many good channels for freely distributing software on physical media to the general public. If your internet connection isn't fast enough to download the demo, I'm not sure what to suggest. Sorry.

Safari browser is the only one that I know that allows you to resume the download after the network resets. There is a Windows version of Safari that you could download if you don't have an Apple computer, I've done that for massive downloads in the past and it should work here. It doesn't work with all website downloads.

Thanks everyone. Tried Safari windows and couldn't get it to work. Tried Flashget with same results. Tried wget also negative. None of them will resume a download after the reset. I appreciate the advice though. Why does Jeff have to make such big demos'. A smaller one would certainly enable anyone to tell whether or not he likes the game or not, and if you like it you are not going to keep playing the demo but instead order the full game. At least that's the way I look at it.

The demos are actually the full game, and a code unlocks them. The larger download isn't a problem for most of his customers; the hassle of having to download another large file is a problem. He actually tried the system you suggested for two games, and neither one sold well. It may not have been linked, but he gave up that system.

—Alorael, who doesn't think most of the size is, in the end, terrain or scripts. Most of it probably the graphics, and trying sort out which graphics are necessary would be more of a problem than it's worth to Jeff.

Originally Posted By: Nephils vs. Sliths NO RUSH
The demos are actually the full game, and a code unlocks them. The larger download isn't a problem for most of his customers; the hassle of having to download another large file is a problem. He actually tried the system you suggested for two games, and neither one sold well. It may not have been linked, but he gave up that system.

—Alorael, who doesn't think most of the size is, in the end, terrain or scripts. Most of it probably the graphics, and trying sort out which graphics are necessary would be more of a problem than it's worth to Jeff.

Oh really? Which games were those?

Nethergate and Blades of Exile. Actually, I'm not even sure Nethergate was available for download. When I got it, I got in on a CD.

—Alorael, who knows BoE was available for download from the FTP site as well. Maybe that was a later addition, or maybe for some reason Nethergate alone was CD-only.

In most cases, it is the server not permitting resumption of downloads, once the connection is lost and with modern downloaders such as my Orbit downloader there is not much they can do about it. They try, however the server tends to be obstinate. FTP ( as with CuteFTP ) is probably your only real alternative and praying a bit to, might not hurt any. I would like to know more about your system's configuration tho, as I might have other suggestions that could help the system stay online instead of losing connection. Your specific modem type, model #, would be necessary. If interested contact me at Yahoo ID ' hantoyo1 ' on Yahoo Messenger and please let me know why you are contacting me, else might not identify you properly.

Originally Posted By: noname
Thanks everyone. Tried Safari windows and couldn't get it to work. Tried Flashget with same results. Tried wget also negative. None of them will resume a download after the reset. I appreciate the advice though. Why does Jeff have to make such big demos'. A smaller one would certainly enable anyone to tell whether or not he likes the game or not, and if you like it you are not going to keep playing the demo but instead order the full game. At least that's the way I look at it.

Have you tried all the 4 download links? The first three links won't let you resume after pause except the 4th one. Alternatively the ftp link from the support page also allows the pause/resume feature.

Also, under some certain circumstances your internet connections might be reset when your download speed reaches the max-limit. So you might try to limit your download speed and disable multi-connection with some download manager softwares metioned above. And if none of them work for you, you can try the orbitdownloader. I downloaded the Avadon demo with it, and the pause/resume feature works well on the 4th link.