Shutting Down My Site

Tyranicus

All good things come to an end, and no web community can last forever. I remember saying something similar when SV started dwindling, and when Logalot decided to close down www2.polarisboard.net. We had a good run while it lasted. Thank you, Tyran, for what you've done for the community. Seriously man, from the chat logs onward you've been doing stuff for the community. Good work.

Would you be able to zip up the scenario database? Or the contents of the forum? I could try do it myself before the 7th, but it would probably be easier on your end. Then you could pass the archives around to a bunch of us. I'm not a compulsive archivist like Aran was or Slarty is, but there was some good stuff on SV, design-related and otherwise, that's worth saving.

I had an archive plan for the forums already set up, so no one else needs to rush to do so if they don't specifically want to. (Mind you, it won't do a nice job like something of Aran's, just spider the pages and scrape all of the HTML, omitting some URLs by pattern to keep redundancy down.)

Originally Posted By: Dinti
Thank you, Tyran, for what you've done for the community. Seriously man, from the chat logs onward you've been doing stuff for the community. Good work.

Seconded. Thanks from me also, Tyran, for all that you contributed to the community.

Originally Posted By: Slarty
And good god, please let those chat logs die.

I think that Tyranicus had the good sense to do this already.

The chat logs are long gone, Slarty.

Niemand and I are currently discussing the feasibility of copying my site onto his webspace. The scenario database, music database, etc will be going up on his site. The forums will be closing, but we are discussing making a read-only archive of them, if such a thing is reasonably simple to do.

Ahh well, it was good while it lasted. Thanks for footing the bill for as long as you did.

I'm glad the scenario reviews were saved at least. I don't know how much people read them anymore but some of them came all the way from the lyceum and it'd be a shame to lose them. It's not like the spidweb board looks to be taking off anytime soon.

Edit: Now my title is gone as well as my avatar? What a crock....

Originally Posted By: Lazarus.
Ahh well, it was good while it lasted. Thanks for footing the bill for as long as you did.

I'm glad the scenario reviews were saved at least. I don't know how much people read them anymore but some of them came all the way from the lyceum and it'd be a shame to lose them. It's not like the spidweb board looks to be taking off anytime soon.

Edit: Now my title is gone as well as my avatar? What a crock....

Yeah man, welcome to the club. I lost my avatar, then my title. I got the title back for a while but then it left again. I guess It's only a matter of time before all the custom titles are rounded up and deleted.

Quote:
Somehow the forums are using relative timestamps based on when they were archived.

The 'somehow' is pretty simple: my script visited each page it could find on the forum (skipping some at my direction) and stored the HTML to a file on disk after correcting all internal links. Since it did so the day after Tyran's announcement, the announcement will forever have occurred yesterday. Which is, I agree, oddly poignant.

Bizarre. I see the problem as well, and the data is actually there for the hidden text (you can see it if you view the source, not that I'm suggesting that reader should be expected to do so), but I have no notion what's wrong with it. I'll try to look into it soon, and if I come up with a solution I'll ask Tyranicus to apply it.