Fool me once, shame on you

Masquerade

I have bought Dragon age origins, it is an awesome game but, unfortunatly, it is ridden with bugs that break it, and the services availible to fix these bugs are shot through as i discovered after contacting the technical support provided by ea.

Originally Posted By: ea technical support livechat

Kally: Hi, my name is Kally. How may I help you?

2275090059: hello

2275090059: i still have the unauthoised dlc issue on my mac version of DA:O ultimate

Kally: Okay

2275090059: ive tried the 1 to 0 fix but that dosent work, neither does logging in and out and leaving it logged in overnight

Kally: Do you play on x-box or on pc or on ps3?

2275090059: i told you already im on a mac

Kally: Oh, Sorry.

2275090059: i checked my account and everything is registered correctly online but it still apears as being unauthorised on the dlc screen, it has done since last friday i think

2275090059: are you still there?

Kally: I am here.

Kally: I am providing you some steps, I hope that that this will help you to resolve your issue.

2275090059: thankyou

Kally: Please try the steps listed on this link: http://help.dragonage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2247

Kally: I hope that these steps will help you to resolve your issue.

2275090059: im on a macintosh and i can not do that because the mac version works differently, please give me some mac specific advise

Kally: Yes, I though that this will work on MAC.

Kally: In this case, You have to reinstall your game , and this will definitely be resolve your issue.

2275090059: will i loose my saves?

Kally: You have to back your saved game files.

2275090059: how do i do that? and furthermore the people on the forums insist that reinstalling borks the game more, is there anything else i can try first?

Kally: May I share your desktop?

2275090059: i beg your pardon? i dont really know what you're refering to

Kally is requesting to view the desktop on this computer. If accepted, the agent will be able to view, but not control, this computer.

Kally: Please accept my screen sharing request.

Initializing and connecting screen-sharing session...

The screen-sharing session has started.

2275090059: ok, should i minimise the window or something now?

Kally: Before you uninstall the game we back up all season.

Behavior Positions:

You must copy the folder to a safe place, "Sims 3 ", located in HardDrive-Users / / Documents / SIMS third After re-installing the game, the whole folder "The Sims 3" to copy again in this place, where he was previously. After this operation, the progress of the game is restored.

Kally: Please go through the steps.

2275090059: wait, what does the sims 3 have to do with dragon age working?

2275090059: and whats with the grammar? it looks like you fed through bable fish, doesnt really make much sense

2275090059: *fed it through bable fish

The screen-sharing session has started.

Kally: Yes

Kally: I can see your desktop.

Kally: May I use your desktop mouse?

2275090059: alright, but no going through my collection of abandonware and branding it piracy, its not piracy if they dont sell it tongue

Kally: Okay.

Kally: Sorry.

* ten minute pause, the mouse jiggles a bit*

The screen-sharing session has ended.

2275090059: hello?

Kally: Yes, I am here.

2275090059: then what am i supposed to be doing

Kally: You can find it into document.

2275090059: um, grammar? you don't happen to live in India, do you?

Communication with the RightNow Chat service has been lost. Please wait while attempts are made to restore the connection.

Disconnection in 240 seconds.

Connection resumed.

Kally: yes

2275090059: what am i supposed to be finding in documents?

Kally: there should be a folder named bioware>

2275090059: yes but what do i do with it, i know that it is there

Kally: * Slect the BioWare folder.

* Select the Dragon Age 2 folder.

*Right-click the Characters folder and select Cut.

* Right-click on your desktop and select Paste.

* To restore your Dragon Age 2 save games, move this folder back into the Dragon Age 2 folder.

Kally: These are the steps to back your saved game files, before uninstalling your game.

2275090059: what about all the other stuff? like the profile folder?

2275090059: and im asking about dragon age origins not dragon age 2

2275090059: are you still there?

Kally: Click on the Start button and select My Documents.

Open the BioWare folder.

Open the Dragon Age folder.

Right-click on the Characters folder and select Cut.

Right-click on your Desktop and select Paste.

To restore your Dragon Age saved game files, move the folder mentioned above back into the Dragon Age folder.

Kally: These are the steps to back the save game files of the game DAO.

Kally: Actually, we have to handle multiple chat at the same time.

2275090059: you said that already but should i or shouldn't i save the profile folder also

Kally: That's why we are not able to respond in the timely manner.

Kally: Yes, You should save it as well, if you don't wish to recreate the profile.

2275090059: alright, should i reinstall the whole dragon age package or just use the dlc installer that comes in the game file

Kally: Yes.

Kally: Exactly.

Kally: Is there anything further I may assist you with today?

2275090059: yes i should use the complete reinstaller or yes i should use the dlc installer?

Kally: You may try to reinstall , the DLC un installer and then check for effect.

Kally: If it still doesn't work, then you may try for reinstalling your game.

2275090059: ok, thankyou, i think. lets hope this works

Kally: I hope so.

Kally: Is there anything further I may assist you with today?

2275090059: no, thankyou

Kally: Thank you for your participation. Have a wonderful day

Kally: Good bye and take care

Kally has disconnected.

Save to say reinstalling acheived absolutly squat diddly. I mean yeah, she was polite enough and she probibly is trying to fix the problems of ten other people at the same time but thats kind of the problem, why on earth does ea employ people to solve problems when they clearly dont have much of an idea of what to do themselves? i mean its a bit counter productive to employ people to do something ineffectivly when simply apointing one experienced programmer to go to the forums and actually talk to the people there would be much more efficient and cheaper that emloying a legion of cheap labourers? its very irritating because i can not access any of the content i forked over an extra 20 buck for, and im not going to mention the bandwidth costs of downloading 23 gigs of data, some 7 of which i cannot use. thankyou very much ea. I will not be buying from ea anytime soon, and i deffinatly wont be shopping at game tree again.

*sigh* i know im ranting and you guys at spiderweb really dont need to lisen to me, in fact if my mother was lisening she would be sobbing melodramaticly into an invisible tissue and playing a tiny invisible violin so ill just end this rant right now by stating what i have learned from this experience. Small companies always offer better customer service, when i had issues with my games my emails were responded to promptly by the person who actually designed/programed the game and hence knows what they are talking about. Thankyou jeff and so long EA, im gonna go back to my old faithfuls and kick some empire butt cool

well im sorry if im a bit stressed, some of the things she said made no sense and id already been trawling through help forums for 2 hours and a good deal of time yesterday afternoon and had already tried the fix she offered me, i was trying to be polite and i apologize if i come across as mean or exessivly angry.

Regardless of how Masquerade may have acted, good tech support means good customer loyalty. I hope this was a single unfortunate occurrence. Alas, the support member does seem to be using some sort of translator in certain phrases, yet seems completely fluent in others. Quite baffling. And people are never as good at multitasking as they think: tech support shouldn't have to do it.

Originally Posted By: Master1
I hope this was a single unfortunate occurrence.

nope, on tuesday (4 days after the issue started) bioware finaly stated that the issue was due to their server mafunctioning, thousands of people and almost every person who bought the ultimate addition had this problem, and despite the pc peeps being fixed, that mac games still arn't working. At least ill have the time to finally finish avernum 2 after all these years tongue

Customer service is rarely helpful unless they have seen the problem and know the solution. These people are at the bottom of the pay scale and mostly just push buttons to get a page of information to pass along. I always dread having to deal with them.

Hopefully the problem will be fixed soon since they now know it's their fault.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Customer service is rarely helpful unless they have seen the problem and know the solution. These people are at the bottom of the pay scale and mostly just push buttons to get a page of information to pass along. I always dread having to deal with them.

I always feel sorry for customer service people. I've been blessed with (mostly) good results with them, so maybe I'm a little biased, but they don't deserve half the stick they're given. Sure, sometimes they come across as a little rude, or seem to be ignorant of what you're saying, but in the vast majority of cases they're giving you all the information/technical knowledge that their superiors have given them. That means if they haven't been informed of something, there's no way they can tell/help you with a problem concerning that thing (beyond offering common sense solutions, which I'd hope most people would try anyway).

Sure, in an ideal world the customer service rep will know the product inside out, and will be able to offer helpful advice that fixes your problem, but until the companies employing them educate them on those products, all they'll be able to do is offer generic advice that anybody could give.

Originally Posted By: Masquerade
Thanks for letting me rant guys, i feel much better now. I should really stop using these forums as a dumping ground for my insubstancial gamer rage, please stop me if i do this again its turning into a bad habit, as if i need more rolleyes

Don't feel bad, it feels good to vent, and sometimes there is nobody around.

Actually, it is probably better to spend all of your fury on the faceless hordes than to bother people close to you.

Originally Posted By: Impudent Strumpet!
Originally Posted By: Randomizer

I always feel sorry for customer service people. I've been blessed with (mostly) good results with them, so maybe I'm a little biased, but they don't deserve half the stick they're given. Sure, sometimes they come across as a little rude, or seem to be ignorant of what you're saying, but in the vast majority of cases they're giving you all the information/technical knowledge that their superiors have given them. That means if they haven't been informed of something, there's no way they can tell/help you with a problem concerning that thing (beyond offering common sense solutions, which I'd hope most people would try anyway).

Sure, in an ideal world the customer service rep will know the product inside out, and will be able to offer helpful advice that fixes your problem, but until the companies employing them educate them on those products, all they'll be able to do is offer generic advice that anybody could give.

As a tech support customer service rep for a major DSL company, I can tell you that a lot of people do not try the common sense solutions. tongue

That said, what Randomizer said can be true of some reps, but that varies wildly from company to company and even from rep to rep inside a company. I would say that I have seen the problem before in 95% of my calls, and in the calls where I haven't, I don't let the customer go until we have some kind of resolution.

Also, tech support is not at the bottom of the pay scale (although we can often see it from here). That is reserved for true customer service reps who are nothing but glorified receptionists.

Surprisingly I have had good experiences with customer service. Even more so when I called up Time Warner about internet contention issues. I may have been on the phone with them for 3 hours and talked to three people, but each one of them did their job and once they could do no more about it passed me up the chain.

Was it a bother that it took 3 hours? Sure. Was it a bother that they did their all to help me and that is why it took 3 hours? No.

Thanks Customer Reps for being so great.

Originally Posted By: Nikki, or whatever he calls himself these days
Stuff about CS

I can definitely relate to this issue, being a grocery store cashier. There are customers that get pissed off when I explain why an item is the price that it is, and they expect me to be able to fix everything magically for them. I can't do crap without being told to do so by my supervisor/manager. Likewise, if I make a mistake (which most of the time isn't a mistake, it's the customer being dumb), I can't always fix it on my own. Sure, most people understand that I'm working in a system lined with sharp sticks pointed at me, but irrational people get irrationally mad at me for things beyond my control.

Also, I think a good deal of the time customers expect the employees to know everything, while every job I've gotten(library, bagel shop, and tech support) has just started me and told me how procedures(and, in the case of tech support, how to fix things) as the issues came up. Not every employer fully trains its employees before putting them on the job.

The part I really hated about customer service was after taking down my information and telling me that they would call back, they never called back. I know because there was always someone able to answer the calls that never came.

So a few days later I was back to calling to find out what had happened. In one case it seemed like they were trying to out wait the warranty.

Quote:
i know im ranting and you guys at spiderweb really dont need to lisen to me

Meh, once and a while, we don't mind. Besides, I myself just bought dragon age origins, and it's entirely Jeff's fault. (His blog made me do it.) Jeff should buy stock, he's selling them so well. Or at the very least, he should get a deal in which they plug spiderweb games!