A6 - Same old models...WHY?

Bereval

While Avernum is an astonishing game, what astonishes me even more is that no new player character models have been created. I'm not talking about replacing the old ones, but adding more of them. The possibilities are countless and a lot of new awesome models representing different character classes could have been made, but it has not happened. It's really puzzling me why haven't the devs undertaken this simple task. Of course this game isn't about graphics but having more choices for your character's appearance would still be a great bonus.

It takes time to make the graphics since you need several poses for each new model. Walking animations weren't added until Avadon to reduce the number of poses. This is one of the last parts that gets done when Jeff adds new ones.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door.

This is a pretty long way from "astonishing." Spiderweb isn't Bioware. Jeff doesn't have dozens of staff around the world and millions of dollars. When you have limited resources, you allocate most of them to the most important things. Story and functionality is first. New character images is like fortieth. Spiderweb still exists because decisions have been prioritized in this way.

Most game companies nowadays have gone through a greedy/evil metamorphosis. They've started saying: Here's our game, but it's not complete, if you want the rest of it you need to buy the other five segments of the game for the same exorbitant(I actually learned this word from E/A) price as you payed for the first game, and if you want to finish the game in your lifetime we will charge you another 10,000$ in order to upgrade tidbits that would otherwise drive you crazy.

Originally Posted By: Erasmus
Most game companies nowadays have gone through a greedy/evil metamorphosis. They've started saying: Here's our game, but it's not complete, if you want the rest of it you need to buy the other five segments of the game for the same exorbitant(I actually learned this word from E/A) price as you payed for the first game, and if you want to finish the game in your lifetime we will charge you another 10,000$ in order to upgrade tidbits that would otherwise drive you crazy.

usually you can just wait a couple of years and buy the "collector's edition" once all the DLC has come out. of course that still means you're paying near-new-game prices for a two-year-old game but oh well