Avernum 6 Geography changing.

Firecage

I still don't understand how places magically moved closer and farther away from eachother between A1 and A6. And also how some places disappeared and re-appeared.

1. In A1 (And A2 I think aswell) Blosk and Dharmon was not merely few meters away from eachother and they were also not directly across eachother, they were a bit away from eachother as can be seen on A1's map. In A6 they are directly across form eachother. Barely a few ssteps away.

2. What happend to the ruins of Grah-Hoth's(forgive my spelling, forgot name a bit) fotress at the lava? It is seemingly gone.

3. How did that great lake(the huge watermass south of Cotra) shrink so much between A1 and A6?

4. What happend to that maze-like river area in A1? In A4 a similar place does show up in the map in its spot, but it is not nearly the same.

5. In A6 and A4 there seems to be alot less tunnels in certain areas than there was in A1 and A2. Take Motrax's caves from example.

6. In A6 Erika's tower seems severely smaller in size than in A1 and A2. And there is no rubbel outside really to indicate that parts of it were crumbled and fell apart.

7. In A6 Fort Duvno seems to have moved farther North, and strangely Silvar has moved directly South of Fort Duvno, unlike in A1 and A2.

8. Fort Franlon has moved south in A6, to the middle of the area. Whereass in A1 and A2 it was alot closer to the top of that area next to the river.

I shall edit this later to insert more changes.

Cavequakes. smile

The change in game engine between the first trilogy and the second accounts for the compacting of Avernum. Then Jeff only included the areas he wants and shrinks or omits less important areas.

Between A5 and A6, the area around New Harston to the Blackchasm Fortress shrunk dramatically.

Interestingly, there seems to be a noticeable change in scale between A5 and A4/6. It's not quite as dramatic as the change from the world map/town map system in A1-3 to the unified map in A4-6, but it's still significant. In terms of the actual area one plays in, A5 isn't that much smaller than A6: A5 seems to have about 150 zones, A6 about 180 (estimate based on checking through the script folders). If you compare the 'world maps' of A5 and A6, the Northern Frontier seems to be about 20-25% of the size of Avernum proper.

• 2 weeks later...

But at least now in Avernum 6, the Honeycomb has returned to the incredible maze that one might really get lost in that it was back in the Exile days.

But the incredible-shrinking-world of Avernum 4&6 annoyed me (it did feel less noticeable in 5, but I think that might just be because so much was previously unknown territory). Good thing the storyline makes up for it.

Originally Posted By: Agnessa
But at least now in Avernum 6, the Honeycomb has returned to the incredible maze that one might really get lost in that it was back in the Exile days.
You can get lost in Exile's Honeycomb? I never knew that. tongue

Seriously though, I never got lost in the Honeycomb in the Exile series; in Avernum 4, however, the Honeycomb had me stumped for almost a month. I haven't seen the Avernum 6 Honeycomb yet.

Well, the Avernum 4 Honeycomb seemed hardly deserving of the name, too easy to map. Exile's Honeycomb seemed to have a lot more maddening turns and dead ends that you *thought* were the path you wanted (and then there was the whole bit about walls to walk through that weren't necessarily apparent when you came back). But the Avernum 6 Honeycomb definitely had me feeling like "yeah, someone could get lost in here until he ran out of food and died". It just seemed like the Avernum Honeycomb was *much* easier to travel through than the Exile variant, until Avernum 6.