After two years...

keira

Originally Posted By: Seiðmaðr Eld
And how do you know he's in another country? tongue

Tintin is a Belgian reporter, and yet in the linked image both he and the people carrying him are sporting clothes suited for an environment much warmer than Belgium (The average temperature is [...] highest in July at 18 °C (64.4 °F)" - Wikipedia). Also he is clearly either sunburnt, or embarrassed for some reason. Since his hat is a particularly good one, we can safely assume it isn't the latter.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Congolese people weren't employed to carry people around in Belgium in that manner, and certainly not for somebody with Tintin's job.

Originally Posted By: Cock a dudle doo
Originally Posted By: Nikki.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Congolese people weren't employed to carry people around in Belgium in that manner,

I'm sure they made exceptions for the king/queen, and don't they still have rickshaws in east-asia?

In response to your first point, please read sentences fully.

Quote:
Oh, and I'm pretty sure Congolese people weren't employed to carry people around in Belgium in that manner, and certainly not for somebody with Tintin's job.

In response to your second, sure. But Belgium isn't in East-Asia, so either way he's in another country.

While reading over the wiki entry on Tintin in the Congo I found this gem.

"When the album was to be published in Denmark and Sweden in the 1970s, the publishers objected to a scene on page 56 of the colour book, in which Tintin blows up a rhinoceros with a stick of dynamite." lol OMG

Points go to Skomer. Little known is that Tintin was a good bit of the inspiration for the Raiders of the Lost Ark film. See "Prisoners of the Sun" in particular to see some uncanny resemblances. I loved these books as a kid. Apart from the first two rather embarrassing Tintin books from the 30's, Tintin wasn't particularly any more racist than other period material of western origin. But they were the comic book series that made me laugh out loud more than anything else I read in my childhood. There are a lot of cultural references to Tintin that seem to have outlived familiarity with Tintin himself. Thompson Twins, the group, being one.

-S-