Of game features long since lost

Masquerade

Ive been playing through Quest for glory for the hundredth time and i had a thought. What if somebody resurrected the character import system from quest for glory? I know it isnt suited to any of Jeffs current games but i really like the idea and it works really well with rpgs. Think about it, you spend who knows how long training and geting emotionally invested in a character or team of characters, so it would be good to at least see them again in what ever spin offs or sequels that game generates even if you dont get to play them it would be nice if you could intergrate them into the game a bit. Does anyone else have some long dead feature that they would want to see used again?

Originally Posted By: Masquerade
According to mum logic attaching a game-playing device to the television = me perminantly attached to the television = mum not being able to watch her shows.

As someone who dealt with a very similar setup growing up, you have my sympathy. However, Lilith is correct in that Mass Effect did that very same thing.

Also, if your household only has one tv, or only one tv worthy of attaching a console to it, that is a very valid point your parents have made.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos

Also, if your household only has one tv, or only one tv worthy of attaching a console to it, that is a very valid point your parents have made.

true, but its not as if i would forsake my macintosh and become atached to the TV, I would just use the console when nothing is on. But i supose i can get a bit engrossed into a good game.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos

However, Lilith is correct in that Mass Effect did that very same thing.

This is not completely true, in Quest for glory your character kept the stats, spells and items you finished with in previous chapter (so if you trained a very capable fighter-mage with climbing capabilities you kept and improved it through the rest of the games).
From what I gathered from friends, Mass effect 2 only keeps your reputation (renegade-something)and name while erasing all your stats and skills and gives a nice death and resurrection plot to explain it.

maybe SC2 will have a similar feature

Cant, I'm on a mac and consoles are illegal under the laws of the evil parent overlords.

According to mum logic attaching a game-playing device to the television = me perminantly attached to the television = mum not being able to watch her shows.

Do what I did: I got my mom addicted to the Zelda games on the N64. Then I would ground her from playing them for weeks at a time. After a month of fighting and an intervention by my dad we both could by video game when ever we wanted.

EDIT: Golden Sun lets you use your old characters in the newer game. Nothing like playing with level 58 characters to make the game unbalanced.

It's probably cheaper to buy Windows and install it on a Boot Camp partition. That's how I've played Mass Effect.

On the other hand, No More PLL is somewhat correct about the difference. Quest for Glory assumes that your character has completed the previous games whether or not you actually import an old character, so the only difference is your stats. Mass Effect 2 gives you a few bonus levels and some more starting money and resources if you import a Mass Effect 1 character, but since the level, power, and inventory systems were completely overhauled there's no way to import them. The plot has nothing to do with that. Mass Effect lets you make many large and small decisions that affect the plot and the world, though, so those are imported with you. That gives you everything from some little emails from old friends to complete changes in who is running the galaxy.

—Alorael, who noticed that the plot does give a convenient excuse for allowing you to change your appearance. You can do so, but then everyone will recognize you anyway. The plot doesn't actually recognize it.

Originally Posted By: Biurgy is worse
It's probably cheaper to buy Windows and install it on a Boot Camp partition. That's how I've played Mass Effect.

See, recently I've been trying to get into PC gaming on Steam. The problem is, despite having a computer that's less that six months old, the graphics card it came loaded with us about five years old, so the most recent game it can play with any level of playability is Oblivion. Plus, the cost and hassle of getting and repacing and installing a new Card would make it much cheaper to just buy a used 360/PS3 off of EBay, and it's not like PC games are so much cheaper that it would be a good investment to get the card. So I've now just gone back to console gaming right now.

Except for Spiderweb games, of course!

Originally Posted By: Biurgy is worse
—Alorael, who noticed that the plot does give a convenient excuse for allowing you to change your appearance. You can do so, but then everyone will recognize you anyway. The plot doesn't actually recognize it.

to be fair, does anyone who doesn't have some reason to know who you are in advance actually recognise you before hearing your voice and/or name?

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Upright and Thrifty
his horrific scarring

by which you mean "awesome glowy scarring"

It's like your face is made of lava. Why would I want Cerberus to fix me looking like a badass?

I mean, I suppose it could be incredibly painful, but hey, you're a biotic space marine. Suck it up a bit.

I enjoy the fact that the paragon responses also let you abuse people. But none quite reach the level of some of the more excellent renegade responses.

—Alorael, who enjoys having a game that finally lets him shoot NPCs for being too irritating and have bystanders cheer him on for doing so.

—Alorael, who enjoys having a game that finally lets him shoot NPCs for being too irritating and have bystanders cheer him on for doing so.

Which game is this? I so want to do that.... well, I'd shoot annoying people on other games, i just wouldnt get cheering with it.

hell, if you get your paragon meter high enough you can sometimes get the NPCs to shoot each other and save you the trouble

Originally Posted By: Tirien

Which game is this? I so want to do that.... well, I'd shoot annoying people on other games, i just wouldnt get cheering with it.

hint: what game was i talking about in the first post. what do you think its sequel is called.

I enjoy the fact that the paragon responses also let you abuse people. But none quite reach the level of some of the more excellent renegade responses.

i dunno about this either, punching your own party members in the face and having them thank you for it is pretty awesome

i dunno about this either, punching your own party members in the face and having them thank you for it is pretty awesome

You're talking about the Australian Labor Party here I presume...

Ive been playing through Quest for glory for the hundredth time and i had a thought. What if somebody resurrected the character import system from quest for glory?

If you haven't already, I would recommend playing Baldur's Gate, followed by Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn and Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal. You can play with the same character all the way through, and they are an awesome set of games. Added benefit: also available on the Mac.

Neverwinter Nights and its expansions also allowed you to import your character (as do several user mods/series available for that game). Again, has Mac versions.

Interestingly, Baldur's Gate II lets you import a character or create a character at the level of a character who has completed BG1. Since the engine gives you more class options in BG2, it's often preferable to just create a new character that's very similar to your old one.

—Alorael, who has of course ignored the items you can take with you. There aren't very many of them, though.

Originally Posted By: waterplant

You're talking about the Australian Labor Party here I presume...

LOL! the public sure loved it but i dont think Fuddy Ruddy is thanking anybody.

• 1 year later...