Basslivaka Tunnels

Faerie Storm

When I played through Bahs, I found that having Far Sight at a high level and a mage with enough SP to cast it when needed was an IMMENSE help. Seeing as most of the monsters were only vulnerable to Cloud of Blades, my priest was doing most of the heavy lifting in combat whereas my mage was just support (instead of the other way around.)

Originally Posted By: Kelandon
Wow, I'm kind of pleased to see that someone's still playing this old thing. I've always intended to go back and fix it up a little bit. Was my first real scenario. Has some things here and there that I'd change now, a few years later.

...yeeeeah, that's one of the greatest BoA scenarios ever. I'd image that people will still play it for quite a while.

Also, do you confirm or deny allegations that you will be completing the trilogy at some point? I think you made a comment to that effect a little while ago (was it in the contest thread?).

Originally Posted By: Dantius

...yeeeeah, that's one of the greatest BoA scenarios ever. I'd image that people will still play it for quite a while.

Also, do you confirm or deny allegations that you will be completing the trilogy at some point? I think you made a comment to that effect a little while ago (was it in the contest thread?).

Seconded.

You can avoid the whole level cap problem, either by making us start over with a new, lower-level party, or by making it totally story-driven and combat-free. Which would be quite a departure.

Originally Posted By: Kelandon
Wow, I'm kind of pleased to see that someone's still playing this old thing. I've always intended to go back and fix it up a little bit. Was my first real scenario. Has some things here and there that I'd change now, a few years later.

I wouldn't take its contemporary reception by the scenario design community too seriously if I were you, considering that the scenario design community of the time pretty much finished swallowing its own tail shortly afterwards. Exodus, on the other hand... well, it was an admirable effort at making a scenario work at levels where the BoA engine really starts to break down.

In hindsight, I do wish I'd pushed harder for you to either completely redesign Bahssikava's end boss or make a non-combat solution available. It's quite possible to make a party that can get through the rest of the scenario with a reasonable degree of difficulty but is essentially unable to harm that enemy. Unfortunately I was still a combat snob at that point and didn't really care about making a scenario accessible to the average player. Oh well; I guess there's always the character editor.

• 3 weeks later...

I fail at reading the BoA forums. While I do suspect that I will be pulled back to Spidweb for at least a little while in the not-too-distant future, it hasn't happened yet.

As for whether the final scenario in the Slith Homeland Trilogy is actually going to be made, well, I have a choice when I come back. I can either make a sequel to Nobody's Heroes, which would be substantially easier and lighter. Or I could make the final trilogy scenario, which would be substantially more ambitious, more draining, and more work. I haven't decided which to do.

I will say that my idea of the plot of Homeland (the third scenario) has changed somewhat in the nearly four years since I released Exodus. There have been some hints (in Nobody's Heroes) about what happens in Homeland, and a lot of the plotline was foreshadowed to some extent in Bahssikava and Exodus. But I do think I have a surprise or two that I could pull out for people.

Either way, it's very likely that I'll at least replay Bahs and Exodus and release revised versions.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you work some more on Exodus!

It is one of the most memorable BoA scenarios I have played, probably second only to Mad Ambition.

That's not to say it's not as good as MA, Exodus needs more balance and a bit would need to be a bit clearer.

(WTF was it with that temple/tent thing?)

The combat was not the best, but that's perhaps bound to the level limit thing, I doubt it's possible to properly balance things when the game itself can´t handle them.

The demon pit was a bit gonzo, did not like it particularly.

Also, it felt a bit like being in Alices shoes, you get through all these caverns and they are all open and big, then you go into this Pit and at the bottom there is a trapdoor or somesuch where you go through and end up in another really big open cavern. Yeah, I think thats how it was.

I also remember this abandoned fort, it was awesome even for an abandoned fort. Abandoned forts are always awesome.

I remember vast stretches of empty caverns, those were a bit off-putting.(Would have thunk these Slithzerikai would have put more thought to the decor.........:Þ)

Maybe I should go back and play it again, did not realise it was so long ago I played this.