Randomised Scenario Contest

tridash

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
If judging is done, where are the rankings? Hidden away in some PM or chat log? I can see one judge's rankings were sent to the contest e-mail account, but that's it.

So what we're getting at is that this is my fault? I don't really like taking responsibility for my actions, so I'm not going to. I personally blame my choice of OS for not writing out my opinions and emailing them for me, but that's what you get for the cost of freedom. Isn't that what America is all about?

I've emailed my rankings, which were hidden in a forgotten PM. Sorry about that.

• 2 weeks later...

It pushes ("bumps") a thread to the top of the forum, so that people will see it. A "bump" is used to raise a neglected or forgotten thread to get people's attention. Since the person "bumping" the threat generally has nothing to add, their post says nothing but "bump."

Or you could imagine they are trying to play some strange form of forum bumper cars. smile

I really don't want to get involved in the judging aspect of the contest, since I sent in an entry. But yeah, this thing needs to be completed. Once again, remember that there were actual prizes tied to this contest, prizes that people should have gotten almost three months ago.

A couple of the judges have already sent in results, so if need be, these two wonderful, exceptional people could be the only ones who determine who comes in first. I propose a tight deadline for the remaining judges. Two weeks? Maybe even one week? At any rate, this thing needs to be done by Christmas.

Once again, remember that there were actual prizes tied to this contest, prizes that people should have gotten almost three months ago.

It's pretty bad that I forgot this, considering I'm donating one of the prizes. tongue

If you don't mind waiting until, I dunno, Wednesday/Thursday, I'll chuck my two-pence worth into the judging ring. I'll need a list of scenarios and hefty bribes from entrants, please. smile

The results of the Randomised Contest are now available!

Congratulations to all those who completed an scenario, especially Handyman who created the top entry! Also, a big thanks to Turtle, Enraged Slith, and Dantius for spending time judging the entries, and to all those who organized and helped come up with the idea for this contest. The rankings for the Randomised Scenario Contest are:

• 1st: Waterweb by Handyman

• 2nd: The Sorcerer's Apprentice by Niemand

• 3rd: Cradle by B.J. Earles

• 4th: Oops by Dintiradan

• 5th: The Black Crown, Part 1 by Duck

• 6th: Melliput Mobsters by Celtic Minstrel

• Unranked: Pilgrimage to Thrakos by w-dueck (Pilgrimage to Thrakos is a Blades of Exile scenario, and the judges were unable to review it)

Again, congratulations to everyone who submitted an entry. I think the judges were quite impressed with the entries.

A question for the community: do you want the judges' individual rankings and reviews to be published? They will be posted on the contest website.

If you're eligible for a prize, don't worry, you haven't been forgotten. One of the prize donors will be contacting you shortly, probably by PM.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
I think it's extremely lame that somebody's scenario was excluded from judgement (and potential prizes!) because it was a BoE scenario. Unless S.C. asked and expected this, but nowhere did _I_ see anything saying BoA only.
Not going to lie, this really, really sucks for w-dueck/Sylae Corell. On the other hand, it was hard enough to get three BoA-playing judges. One less, and it wouldn't have been possible to come up with a ranking at all. If you (or any others) want to keep the BoE dream alive, please consider judging for the next contest where a BoE scenario is submitted. We're having a hard enough time keeping BoA alive as is.

Again, really want to apologize to w-dueck/Sylae Corell about the way things turned out, but the wait for judges had gone on long enough.

Players with BoE were more than welcome to step up, and I had made it clear that I wouldn't be able to play w-dueck's scenario. Even if I could get the game running on my machine, unless the scenario was for level 1 parties, I wouldn't be able to play it anyway. If you want to disqualify me from judging for that, then feel free.

Originally Posted By: B.J.Earles
Well, third isn't bad. I would definitely like to see the judges' reviews. I'm going to take some time to clean up my scenario, maybe expand the ending a bit, before going into beta.

You still got a prize man, and released a good scenario. Congrats for that. smile

Several people discussed using BoE in this thread, and nobody ever said "can't do that."

I'm not defending BoE. I prefer it to BoA, but BoE is dead and that's that. But I can tell you that if I worked for days on end on a project, submitted it to a contest, and then other people got prizes without ANYONE looking at mine, I would be pretty steamed. Wouldn't matter what the reason was.

I get the dilemma of the judging. Judging takes a long time, and I agree that the judges deserve a lot of thanks and not flack. I also get the dilemma of the organizing, which takes a huge effort too, and Dintiradan deserves a lot of thanks and not flack.

However, if you're going to solicit work from someone and you don't explicitly tell them that their work will be totally ignored by all the judges, I think it's incredibly irresponsible to allow their work to be totally ignored and to give out prizes to others.

Perhaps Mr. Vogel can be asked to provide a "consolation" prize to the competitor who could not be judged? It might not earn him any income, since BoE is apparently dead. Still it's just ~$25, and it would be a sign of goodwill that would increase rapport.

Otherwise, I don't really know what to do, other than plan better for the future. Perhaps future contests might ask for judges *before* the beginning is announced, so it can be known whether a BoE scenario would be viable. And, even if fewer judges will use BoE than BoA, perhaps the scores from non-BoE-using judges can be statistically manipulated to infer how they would have scored the BoE scenario, given those judges' average scores, deviations, etc. This obviously isn't perfect, and may seem unfair; but no option seems ideal.

Originally Posted By: Handyman
Perhaps Mr. Vogel can be asked to provide a "consolation" prize to the competitor who could not be judged? It might not earn him any income, since BoE is apparently dead. Still it's just ~$25, and it would be a sign of goodwill that would increase rapport.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Jeff Vogel had exactly nothing at all to do with this contest. It'd surprise me if he even knew there was a contest going off. Any organisation came from the community, judging was handled by the community and the two prizes were donated by two members of the community.

There were only 6 BoA entrants, but I wouldn't feel discouraged since I don't think your scenario was particularly worse than the others. Its main problem was that it was unfinished.

I personally voted it higher, but I had already played through a much more polished version in beta.

You should try to release it soon.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
He has apparently mentioned eventual plans to do just that. Nothing has come of it yet.
Sixth out of twenty-one isn't bad.
Wait, it's out of twenty-one? I thought it was out of six.

21 people signed up, but only 7 completed products.

Unless the contest organizer(s) are adamant about it, soon, and bit-by-bit. The versions submitted to the contest were many of them somewhat rushed (mine was, anyway) and the designers would like to polish them up so that players can enjoy them maximally (at least I would, anyway).

I'm working on getting mine in order; I hope to conduct beta testing over the next week or two, and get it out directly after. Celtic Minstrel was doing beta testing for his, and had made a lot of progress, but things got quiet, so I'm not sure what he's waiting for, besides perhaps just a respite from classes to get the last work done.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Is there anywhere I can download the entries?
Right, I forgot to ask this earlier: how do people feel about me linking/mirroring the entries on the contest webpage? I could either upload the scenarios as they were at the time of submission, or I could just have each entry provide a link to the designer's download page (or Blades Forge page).

It might take me a while to add the scenarios (and the judges' comments), as I'm kinda busy with a course project right now. I'm just making these posts while my SVM is training (if it trains at all, that is; see signature).

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Several people discussed using BoE in this thread, and nobody ever said "can't do that."

I'm not defending BoE. I prefer it to BoA, but BoE is dead and that's that. But I can tell you that if I worked for days on end on a project, submitted it to a contest, and then other people got prizes without ANYONE looking at mine, I would be pretty steamed. Wouldn't matter what the reason was.

I get the dilemma of the judging. Judging takes a long time, and I agree that the judges deserve a lot of thanks and not flack. I also get the dilemma of the organizing, which takes a huge effort too, and Dintiradan deserves a lot of thanks and not flack.

However, if you're going to solicit work from someone and you don't explicitly tell them that their work will be totally ignored by all the judges, I think it's incredibly irresponsible to allow their work to be totally ignored and to give out prizes to others.
Contest organization: Don't want to make it seem that this contest was organized by just one person. The central idea for the contest was decided on collaboratively (the 'co-op contest' idea being proposed now first came up when making this contest). Everyone contributed to the scenario elements list, the contest deadlines, etc. I'm just most visible now 'cause I'm the guy incessantly bumping the thread. I don't mind taking the flak, but I won't take all the credit.

Judging: You could ask for judges before designing even starts, and use the number of BoE-playing judges to indicate whether or not BoE scenarios would be judged. Even then, judge dropouts would be a problem, especially for non-1/10 contests which have a long design period. In retrospect, we should have asked for BoE-playing judges the moment a BoE scenario was proposed, and then rejected it from being ranked in the contest when no one volunteered. Again, mandating that all judges be able to play BoE would have resulted in no judges for this contest.

(Rereads thread.) Yeah, basically what Handyman said.