Randomised Scenario Contest

tridash

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we lack an official pronouncement, I'm going to assert that the deadline will be the end of Sunday, PST. Given that this should approximately double our set of finished entries, it seems reasonable to me. If anyone with more authority disagrees, they should say so.

Quote:
f I am lucky, my scenario will be done early tomorrow, giving me and my testers less than a day to polish. Which, I guess, is workable, but so it goes, no?

With that short a period of time, I wouldn't bother trying to conduct a traditional beta test. Communicating back and forth just takes time, and there comes a point when the amount of rushing required just isn't worthwhile. If you can find other people who can and want to test on very short notice, by all means go ahead, but otherwise your time may be better spent not agonizing about it.

...ha ha. If late submissions are allowed, then I may as well get to bed. :-P

I'm not sure whether I should submit first and wait for beta revisions to submit later, or whether I should just run my beta after the deadline and submit it late. (I'm not sure if any of this matters, really. :-P ) I'll probably submit by the deadline, and then revise it as I go on, unless there are rampant errors... (Ha ha--I suppose there will have to be. ;-) )

Well.

All the plot-important parts of my scenario work. There are some things that need tweaking, some things that may be hard to figure out, and some things that end with the party getting stuck; in short, it needs polish. However, it's ready enough to be submitted by the deadline.

I'll open a beta-testing thread probably tomorrow, after I've made some of the most important tweaks.

If I'm right, this is a mere half hour before the deadline. Ugh. I need to sleep.

Originally Posted By: lampshade
Do you guys remember the rule of thumb that things will take longer to complete than you think? Yeah...
This is why I dropped out early, I knew at that point I wasn't going to finish on time. If I'm lucky, I'll submit mine by the end of September; but it'll more likely be closer to the end of the year.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think we've started judging yet, so feel free to refine/finish your scenarios. This isn't all that formal, so don't worry about time constraints unless you don't plan on finishing until November.

Originally Posted By: Grail Shadowblade
Bah apologies, my laptop decided to wipe itself and took my scenario along with everything else with it. Only just really recovered.

That sucks, dude, I'm really sorry.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
That sucks, dude, I'm really sorry.

That it did, although it's not a total loss, I just found my design notes on the memory stick I run BoA on (yes it works as a portable just so long as you don't mind sometimes needing to do an over install to fix a few qurisk that appear that way). I'd transferred my projects and scenarios to the laptop because I needed the extra space to give a friend some photos, but hey design notes is better then nothing.

So hopefully once I've read up on the code again (I've forgotten how to code some of what I know I used), I will get around to releasing End Days.

Good grief, that would mean that I need to get cracking on that thing again. I find it a bit unfair really. I spent a lot of time and energy to get my scenario ready by the deadline. Now your telling me everyone has till the end of this month? What does Tridash have to say about this?

Originally Posted By: B.J.Earles
Good grief, that would mean that I need to get cracking on that thing again. I find it a bit unfair really. I spent a lot of time and energy to get my scenario ready by the deadline. Now your telling me everyone has till the end of this month? What does Tridash have to say about this?

Wouldn't you rather compete against higher quality work and possibly more entrants?

Originally Posted By: B.J.Earles
This was the complaint I thought participants would have when the deadline was first being pushed back. Remember, it's September now and some people won't be able to take advantage of the perpetually extended deadline. Yes, everyone in the community would benefit if scenarios are polished after the contest, but it's only fair if everyone has the same timeslot to work in. If this contest was just for recognition, I wouldn't mind the extensions (it's happened before that sub-par scenarios have improved a fair bit after the contest is over, and the community knows this). But since there's prizes at stake, even relatively small ones, I don't think it's fair to extend deadlines that people haven't planned for.

Of course, I'm not the only one with a say in this. Anyone else have any thoughts?

As a contestant myself (and one whose entry, as submitted, is not very polished), I say that the entries should be judged as submitted. This is what we were all, I think, expecting and it gives a reasonable approximation of fairness.

I would certainly encourage all contestants to polish up their work so that the final version shared with the community is as good as possible. This is certainly what I intend to do.

What Dintiradan said.

I for one assumed that after the deadline had passed that no more submissions would be accepted, and in all honesty, that assumption is not any kind of stretch in anyone's imagination. I have not worked on my scenario at all since the deadline, partly because I knew it wouldn't make a difference in the contest (the other part is that I simply didn't feel like it). Others have gone through several rounds of beta testing. Pushing the deadline back farther would, in my opinion, give them an unfair advantage.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...