A6 - Unstable Mass!

MJ

Two things work. Slow will have a 33% chance of it not splitting because it doesn't have an action that turn. Daze when it works is 100% successful in stopping splits.

So have your fighters attack and then daze it.

These are actually easier than the ones in Avernum 5.

[Edit: Too slow]

Unless you are playing on a low difficulty or can do a ton of damage in one round, you probably can't.

Unstable masses split in two in any round they are hit. The best way to deal with them is to attack only one slime at a time. Don't cover it in acid or anything that will do small amounts of damage over several rounds.

Dikiyoba.

Send in your two fighters to attack the slimes directly. But keep your mage and priest back and have them fling spells. When the slimes explode your characters die, but they still get XP because NPCs die before PCs. Then have your priest cast return life, and go explode more slimes.

Make sure both of your fighters die at the same time though or one will get slightly more XP.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Two things work. Slow will have a 33% chance of it not splitting because it doesn't have an action that turn. Daze when it works is 100% successful in stopping splits.

I don't know where this 33% figure came from. The chance of a slowed creature losing its turn is dependent on its level.

Originally Posted By: VCH
Send in your two fighters to attack the slimes directly. But keep your mage and priest back and have them fling spells. When the slimes explode your characters die, but they still get XP because NPCs die before PCs. Then have your priest cast return life, and go explode more slimes.

Make sure both of your fighters die at the same time though or one will get slightly more XP.
Unstable masses don't explode...

I found that it is very good to kill them in one round.

Originally Posted By: Demseinwetter
Also, sumomned creatures help, obviously, because that way, your group has even more attacks in one round and a better chance at downing the masses.

Negative. Summoned creatures are apt to attack just any old mass, thus creating more masses. Better to concentrate your attacks on one mass at a time, using whatever Battle Disciplines you have access to as often as possible to deal maximum damage per round. Adrenaline Rush, Mighty Blow, and Shield Breaker are all good, or even Well-Aimed Blow if that's all you have. Buff up, obviously, but avoid Spineshield.

If for some reason you are unable to do a lot of damage in one round (say you're a singleton and you need to heal and/or buff), it's better to do none at all and save it for the next one. Don't skip too many rounds, though, as monsters seem to regenerate health at an unfairly high rate.

Edit: Of course it's not really unfair, since we get first aid. Not to mention resurrection. wink

Originally Posted By: Other
Originally Posted By: VCH

Unstable masses don't explode...

I found that it is very good to kill them in one round.

Which ones explode than? Any way, I was referring to the exploding slimes near Ft Monastery.

Those suck. Suck horribly. But Unstable masses are those strange, reddish slimes you see every here and there, and if one hits it, it splits. Not if one kills it it turns into more enemies, but like the doomgaurds, it will turn itself into two unstable masses that, if you hit both of those, will turn into four unstable masses. If you are not careful, you can end up with a room full of those things. I was very frightened on those times when I found the three unstqable masses together, and the time when I came across those four doomgaurds.