A6 - Teleporting: The User Experience

Aoslare

Question #1: BOTH happy and irritated.

Question #2: I'm okay with having to teleport twice, including two loading screens, but I DON'T LIKE the DELAY while my PCs sparkle.

Mainly because I love having a place for me to dump my excess loot at, and it's satisfying to see an increasing amount of it every time I use a pylon. The Cult of the Sacred Item and the Church of Divine Lucre would be proud.

I'm neither happy nor irritated. A4-A6 conditioned me to accept slow teleportation, and it's not that big a deal. On the other hand, I still liked wandering the wide world A1-3-style.

That said, I would really prefer to be able to skip the extra loading and teleporting, especially when the teleporter is not, in fact, a single click away from arrival area.

—Alorael, who wonders what Ernest thinks of this pylon thing. Actually, he wonders how Avernum ever thought pylons were a good idea in the first place. Couldn't they just have set up Ernest-like stations?

I actually really like the whole teleporting thing. I love the little tips, and he pictures that come with the loading screen. The sparkles make me feel warm inside. Weeee!

The only problem I really have is how the great portal won't teleport me to the surface. That whole attunement thing doesn't make sense when you think about how they assassinated Hawthorn...

Originally Posted By: Failedassassin
The only problem I really have is how the great portal won't teleport me to the surface. That whole attunement thing doesn't make sense when you think about how they assassinated Hawthorn...

There are apparently many, many different workable systems of teleportation. Remember in A2 when you needed coordinates to teleport somewhere?

Dikiyoba hates the sparkles and is indifferent towards teleporting twice. Yes, it's annoying when trying to teleport repeatedly (such as when doing the daily ration run, which Dikiyoba now does mostly on foot). On longer explorations, however, it's a useful place to sell and drop off loot, so Dikiyoba doesn't mind having to visit it.

Originally Posted By: Failedassassin
I actually really like the whole teleporting thing. I love the little tips, and he pictures that come with the loading screen. The sparkles make me feel warm inside. Weeee!

Clearly we need more brooches!

My suggestion for the perfect teleportation system:

Whenever you use click a pylon, a pop-up screen appears with the following options.

1) Teleport to the Portal Keep; currently the only option

2) Quick teleport to other pylon; which opens opens the same screen as when you approach the Portal Keep's portal

3) Heal; this option isn't as important but it would make HP/MP restoring much less tedious in some areas

It could also be possible to turn the thing off in Game Options for those that don't like it.

Current teleportation system + the above pop-up screen - pointless, annoying sparkles = awesomeness.

I prefer the "new" Avernum teleportation far more then the old system of Outdoors. I don't *mind* to PCs sparkling, but if it was taken out, I wouldn't miss it. I actually really like the idea of a waystation, and it has helped as I play the game to have a seller without having to trudge to another town. Although, I would like the Pylons to be in a few more places other then towns, even if it isn't completely logical from a cannon prespective.

I like the teleportation option as well, fabulous, much more better than walking all over the place. I do wish there was a pop-up screen that gave you the option of which town you would like to go to (instead of teleporting you automatically to the Portal Keep).

I also wish there were more pylons in various options....maybe our PCs could construct our own that would be cool. In an rpg called Two Worlds, there's a quest to find some materials for a wizard and once you do, he constructs a transport stone for you that can transport you to any portal on the map. In fact, lots of games have options that let you teleport whenever you need to (in addition to the standard portals) whether it's something you carry around in your inventory or a spell or scroll.

Hey on a side note, I couldn't find the pylon for Patrick's Tower or Blosk, do they have them?

I remember having trouble finding that pylon. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the way explored land is the same color as unexplored land, so it is often difficult to tell if a cut off tunnel is unexplored, blocked, or a stairway down. If I had to pick one thing for Jeff to change in his newer games, it would be to make explored lands a different color.