War, war, war!

Human with a horse comes riding along, happily pillaging and destroying nephils and sliths alike... dragon swoops out of sky and blasts fire... no more human.

He's got a point, there. Mobility is an issue. However, dragons could evade far, far better than any other race. Motrax in A1 claims to have taken down an entire army of sliths when he was in his prime, too, so dragons have a fair amount of firepower. In terms of pure firepower, a few crystal souls could probably handle a dragon, but the crystal souls need to be dragged around by vahnatai, whereas dragons can flee on their own.

If the dragons could actually band together, and if there were more than just three or four of them, they'd be tough to beat.

Um, the Empire slaughtered almost all of the nephilim on the surface, so I think humans vs. nephils is no contest.

Quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:
The humans would win. Think about it. What resource the the humans use that none of the other races use... Horses. One human would be riding along on his horse, and a Nephil would shoot a bow at him, a slith would try to spear him, etc, etc, an they would miss and hit the horse. The horse, being indestructible, would not be injured, and the human would escape. He would then tell all the armorers to start making horse-hide armor and equip all the soldiers with it, and voila! Indestructible human soldiers.

They could even make horse-hide robes for the mages!
When you are riding along on your horse, the enemies can still hurt you. In fact, you can't even enter combat to fight back!

Horse-hide armor would be impossible to make, because horses are invulnerable, invincible, indestructible, and impenetrable. How would they get the hide off the horse?

Actually, all the horses are ridden by those same small bands of adventurers, which are just as likely to be composed of sliths or nephils as humans.

The vahnatai and humans also have disproportionate numbers of instant-death nodes/scripts, which gives them an undeniable edge.

—Alorael, who is sure some enterprising mage could find a way to create a mobile death script. Then let other races beware!

Quote:
Originally written by FZ:
The Exiles would win, because they seem to have an overabundance of heroic four/six man armies.
As Alec once pointed out, if the number of times the average player reloads is anything to go by, Exile is littered with the bodies of would-be heroes. :p

The humans could all hide in a cave protected from magical scrying devices, with an script/node of instantaneous death against non-humans and human betrayers at the entrance. They could wait in that cave until all the battles are over, then come out hiding behind horses and attack the last remaining race while they're still weak from the battles. They could also magically engineer horses to shed their indestructible hide for use as armor, and place instant death node/scripts on their arrows and swords.

Also, Kelandon, my point wasn't mobility. It was that humans have access to a material that is indestructible and that they could use that to their advantage.

Yes yes, but the Anamas would still prevail. Sure, they would probably all get killed and so, but in heaven they would earn their reward and be made lords over everything and so on. Such are the rewards of those who die for their fate.

EDIT: And on Judgement Day, their god would step down and kick the ass of demons, dragons and horses alike. So there.

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
Quote:
Originally written by FZ:
The Exiles would win, because they seem to have an overabundance of heroic four/six man armies.
As Alec once pointed out, if the number of times the average player reloads is anything to go by, Exile is littered with the bodies of would-be heroes. :p
Also, the Exiles/Avernites seem to have mastered a form of control over space and time, using the dark arts of Savefiles, and the artifact called the Character Editor. This gives them the edge. Also, if Exile/Avernite heros don't move, no one else can.

Mr dont tuch me i am 2 saxy makes such well-reasoned points.

And now, reading over Eldibs post, I see that he is correct. Well, if your point wasn't mobility, it should've been :p .

Let's say the Exiles/Avernites get three adventuring parties. One is controlled by Thuryl, one by the Creator, and one by Imban. Within days, the armies of all the other races put together would be dead and dying. Their last words?

"We've never SEEN such tactics!!"

Hmm. I think the more likely answer is:

"We've never SEEN everything going black after killing the party and something transporting us and them back to the past and having the party battle against us over and over again until they finally win unfairly with the help of the editor."

That's how I picture hell, by the way. Save the Exile graphics.

Quote:
it is impossible to MAKE a horse.and you can't fight on one.Arrows fired from behind dumb stupid horses would hit the horses.

Plus my sliths/neilphim ride horses daily
You don't just stand behind the horse and shoot the arrows, you arch them over the horses. And you use an arrow of 100% accuracy with an instant death node/script placed on it. And I never said anything about fighting ON a horse. Just behind them.

Your sliths/nephilims count as exiles because they are bossed around by them.

Quote:
and put a virus in the editor and saved games!
The races of the exile series don't have the technology to put viruses in anything. And besides, the virus would spread to the game itself and then there would be no humans, vanhatai (hope I spelled that right), dragons, etc.

And yes, the adventuring parties with control over space/time with the character editor and savegames would give the exiles a tactical advantage. They could just keep coming back until they won the battle.

I win!

^STFU mad

my sliths are NOT bossed around by gay exiles

instant death things?will never exist.the game would be to F word easy

arcing the arrows over horses?thos wouldn't hit the emeny.they'd fly like 1cm

virus?yes this virus would make it so everytime some one loads in a game or saves the game or uses the gay editor 999999999999999999999999 alien beasts appear wink (and the saved game/editor wouldn't work)

HA I WIN DUDE laughwinkcool

Saltweed - Sure, I reload a lot when I fight something typically way out of my league... (see : playing Bandits 2 with a level-4 party)

...but I rarely touch the character editor (usually only to get through 'level check's in scenarios where the player is dealt unavoidable multi-bang damage of more than my HP) and typically do 70% of my reloads when just one member of my 6-man party dies - I'm sort of perfectionist about that.

In any case, once my party gets out of being level 1-5, there are very few things that force reloads upon me. Perhaps if I got sucker-punched by a basilisk...

Lord V - eh calm down

Voldemort, why do you think that shooting from behind something limits your range? The highest range of any projectile (give or take for wind) is attained when it is shot at 45 degrees above the horizontal. At that angle, you'll clear a horse from anywhere above half a meter behind it. It's when you shoot horizontally, as you seem to want to do, that the arrow goes almost no distance.

Also, the game does contain instant death nodes. Several people are apparently able to create them, including Erika.

And who is going to be creating this virus? Which race is advanced enough to reprogram not just their reality but the operating system their reality exists in?

Oh yes, none of them.

-E-

This guy will always be Mr. Sax to me, because of the fun I can have with that name.

Mr ooo ooo rub my saxy body, while your sliths may not be bossed around by the gay Exiles (of which there are a few, Elspeth and Nance being the two that come to mind), I rather think that the rest might have a chance. And I don't know where you got the gay Character Editor, but the regular one will do just fine, too.

I am, of course, assuming that you meant the word "gay" literally. If you meant it as a pejorative, then you are a prejudiced fool, and you are part of a mindset that has tortured millions of human beings needlessly over the course of history, which of course would be something I would never believe of someone as soft-spoken, kind, and gentle as yourself. Therefore, I must assume that you meant the word literally.

Neither are present in Exile, as so many have pointed out. I'm afraid the death node wins, and the humans (Exile and Empire) and vahnatai are the only ones who have them.

Sliths, however, can make impenetrable barriers as in Lost Bahssikava. Vahnatai are even more skilled with their barriers. Humans are mostly restricted to building a better force barrier.

—Alorael, who still doesn't think that saying that all adventuring parties join the Exiles is fair or accurate. He can say with some assurance that his parties would play favorites, and the humans wouldn't be one of them.

^no you are you fag

-imban:fun you can have with that name?hmmmm.......

-imbandon?:oh shut up fag

death nodes?all attempts to make one have failed.mages are just people who get drunk,try to do magic and end up setting fire to themselves!

and hiding behind horses and firing would not work.the emeny could just stay out of range.

so alien beasts would win f word f word asses

Behold, the Inflatable Moderator appears!

Lord V, you have just taken the Code of Conduct, spat upon it, and kicked it for good measure. Recant and repent or bad things will happen. In other words, don't use homophobic language or semi-profanity.

If this degenerates into a flame war, I will be sorely disappointed.

—Alorael, who was actually enjoying the topic. You know, horses aren't much of a solution to the problem. Only the few bands of humans, nephils, and sliths can get them to move in any way. It's not possible to have an entire army use them as barricades.

Alternatively, you could join the Third Army, who seem to have an infinite number of troops to throw against those small bands of adventurers, and have a seemingly inpenetrable fortress, which you can't get in.

Who needs horses when you've got the Army eh?

On a completely related note, did anyone actually find a way into the valley where they are? I tried and tried to get through the front, and the back way, using the orb, seemed to possibly contain more.

Quote:
Originally written by Inflatable Moderator:
You know, horses aren't much of a solution to the problem. Only the few bands of humans, nephils, and sliths can get them to move in any way. It's not possible to have an entire army use them as barricades.
There are, however, quite a lot of those bands. As already stated in this topic. You could build an whole army of horse-movers!

The Vahnati would definitely take this contest, because of the aforementioned ability to rest, skill with magic, ability to create monsters and, most importantly by far, instant death nodes. Oh, and I can't speak for BoE, but in BoA instant death scripts (or actually, in this case, the immensely powerful erase_char and kill_char spells) cannot be affixed to swords or arrows. They could, however, be put in a scenario state to be called by any number of wand type items or creature scripts (which could hit 100% of the time, btw), which means that, really, if we're talking Avernum, any of the races could theoretically possess instant death scripts. However, the aforementioned races are the only ones demonstrating practical working knowledge of the theory. Really, this war would come down to who wins the arms race for incredibly powerful, multi-target wands of instantaneous death (or creature scripts). Until that point, though, the Vahnati would be winning.

I don't particularly fancy any of them, so I'd personally fight them all alone, making a few friends along the way...

The Exiles are really the same as the Avernites, so I might have gone for them.

The Vahnatai are magic users - so they're just plain cool.

The Empire has got all of it's power to call upon, so they're best for a long war.

The Nephils can murder anyone else with their arrows long before anyone else can get close.

The Sliths are not a race that I want to get into hand to hand combat with.

The Undead are just too brittle. Brittle bones SUCKS!

The Bandits spend all of their time robbing people and being bullies, so don't count on them in a fight.

The Demons - well, they're too fiery for my liking, but they've got nearly as good magic as the Vahnatai, and nearly as good as the Sliths at hand to hand.

The Anama, well, they spend all of their time praying, so you don't know if they'll be there to guard your back.

Fight them all alone. Well, at least you know that you're in safe hands...

- Magic is the only thing that holds our world together.

With Blades one can set up any scenario one wants, pun intended. Therefore Blades must be disregarded. In the games, only Exile, the Empire, and the vahnatai have death nodes. What's more, they have death nodes that trigger whenever one of their number is attacked. That's a big advantage.

—Alorael, who questions the reasoning that says that the Empire is the sure bet for a long war. The Empire is effectively under perpetual martial law to prevent rebellions. The vahnatai are not, and one clan of vahnatai almost manages to demolish a quarter of the Empire. It's the weakest quarter, true, but if there are more than five clans of vahnatai that can work together, the Empire is toast.

I suppose that you have also got to take into account that the Empire has four whole other continents to draw troops and magi from. They might not have the most powerful spells, but with that sort of manpower, arguing with them isn't just out of the question, it's out of the window with your head on a pike.

Wut is it about u guys and the horses!!!were supossed to be exiles and find a way to the surface!!!Also how do u fit 6 people in 1 horse without having sexual intercourse I mean c'mon, even I that play in unregistered know that exiles are the best since they got allies (vanahtie people,the cat people and the lizard guys,and many other people0and they got the adventurers that did so much stuff(ur party)heheh just kiding I respect all of ur opinions guys!

Ah a grammatically incorrect Canadn from Canadia.

The obsession with horses is that, not only are all known specie seemingly identical, but they are apparently indestructable, can move twice as fast as any other thing alive and seem to provide you with more food somehow. (Based on lower usage of food).

This rounds up to dang good creature. The drawbacks are that while indestructable, they are unable to move with someone one them and no offensive capabilities.

And sure, the Exiles have plenty of allies, but the entire army is useless except for small six-person bands of adventurers that, as was said, if the amount of reloads that a player has to use is anything to go by, have depopulated the Exiles and their allies five times over.

Quote:
Originally written by FatBatMonkey:
I suppose that you have also got to take into account that the Empire has four whole other continents to draw troops and magi from. They might not have the most powerful spells, but with that sort of manpower, arguing with them isn't just out of the question, it's out of the window with your head on a pike.
You're right about their manpower. But how do we know that there aren't MILLIONS of Vahnatai, or MILLIONS of Sliths. I mean, there's a whole underground WORLDS that the Exiles/Avernites haven't explored.

What?

6 people on one horse? There's one horse for each member of youre party! DUH!

Never mind...

- Archimage Micael

Goblins. Goblins.

Because as it was pointed out a while ago by Alorael, they are like cockroaches. They are everywhere.

Besides, with a little incentive they may be trained to breed like mutant rabbits on a rampant heatathon.

Also. Goblins in this world have not realized how smart and capable their cousins from others have become. Once they do, together with their uncountable numbers. . . Tremble with fear. The end is near.

Horses have been known to evolve into intelligent beasts, and in some cases more than humans even. Horses in this world have not realized how smart and capable their cousins from others have become. Once they do, together with their invencible nature . . .

Goblins On Horses.

(admittedly less disgusting that goblins in horses, even (specially!!!) if only partially in)

Hmmm.

I would say if you look at the games story wise, the vahanati would win. Their homeland is almost inaccessable expecially with the tower of the magi destroyed. Because of them, and the party in exile 2 exile won what was a almost certain defeat, and I expect that the Vahanati with their numbers greater then 6, would have had more effect on defeating the bulk of empires army. Then you look at exile three, where the empire had major problems due to the Vahanati, and only because of the party played during the game was it solved. It you just let the days run without interfinering most of the towns end up falling. So that shows they can defeat the empire which is the major opposition. Now the exiles can be defeated as well. Look at the barriers in exile 2, the Vahanati could do that again and just pick of the scattered armies.

Yeah, but this time the Exiles/Avernites (EXILES FOR THIS FORUM). This time the Exiles are;

1) Allied With the Empire

2) Allied with the Sliths

3) Allied with the Nephils

4) Have their own strong magic

5) Have the BEST bands of adventurers around at their disposal

6) Have Anti-Vahnatai weaponry (developed in E3)

7) They're used to hardship. I mean, what's the major difference between the Empire war, and a Vahnatai War?

8) - Well, there is no 8 - YET!

But I chose Adventurers. Fighting them all alone appeals to me.

- Archmagi Micael

There are some others who are nigh invulnerable in this world.

A most fearsome army that horses.

A worse enemy than Goblins on Horses.

Outdoor Merchants.

And united their might is even greater.

Oh they won't defeat you by force, you will try to defeat them by force. Heh. Go ahead.

And just wait until they ally with the Special Event denizens.

Then. . .

Actually, a thought. Jeff wins.

Think about it. He's personified in the game. He can re-write it at will. He can change it so that every party that is training up to come and kill him suddenly meets an army of alien beasts and have suddenly found that their weapons have turned into sticks, they are unable to cast spells and fleeing not only doesn't work, but causes 999 damage.

Sure, the traders might make an alliance with the random events, but when you can only be reached by putting an esoteric object on some unlikely spot, and you can turn everything and one into rice pudding, who's going to stop you?