Looking at Geneforge 5's Graphics…

Tcheedchee

I really shouldn't say this, but it's so astounding, how much the overall visual appearance of Geneforge 5 has been modernized. (Just started playing…)

I'm tempted to say 'improved', although I like spiderweb's retrostyle look very much. Coming from the Avernum-side originally, I find that Avernum 6 can't stand the comparison, although it's the younger game…

Now I'm really very curious how developments will go at Spiderweb's.

I find that graphic shifting is different for all people. Some people are affected, others are not. I played G1 after completing G5 and found no problem getting used to the graphics and interface. However, sometimes I find that some of the graphics shared between the games(GF and Avernum) kind of diminish the experience for me. To clarify, when I see a mage in Avernum that has the same graphics as a shaper, minus the symbol, I still think "Shaper" in my head. Same goes for shared graphics with items and terrain. It just makes the world a little less unique.

Originally Posted By: A Figment Of Your Imagination
To clarify, when I see a mage in Avernum that has the same graphics as a shaper, minus the symbol, I still think "Shaper" in my head. Same goes for shared graphics with items and terrain. It just makes the world a little less unique.

There are certain locations in A6 where you can see the Shaper symbol on stuff. It's disconcerting.

Originally Posted By: VCH
Yeah that's the problem with graphics updates -- they make the old games unplayable.
For me, it's definitely not the graphics that make the old Exile games unplayable. In fact, I liked a lot of the old Exile 2d pictures better than a lot of the old Avernum 3d blobs. No, it was more likely the interface upgrades. They made the old games seem clunky and annoying by comparison. If Exile, with it's 2d world played smoothly and was more simple like the Avernum engine, I'd play that game.

Yeah,

although I started the remark on the graphics, I'd agree – as I already mentioned I like the "old-style"-appearance quite well.

But the "clunkiness" let me quit playing G3 after having played all the upper numbers of Avernum.

G4 went well, as it's also steerable acceptably. Although it already felt a step down in comparison to Avernum 6.