A6 - Skribbane exploit?

Eigenvalue

I keep reading about the skribbane exploit on this forum, but... somehow I failed to find a topic that explains what it is. Would someone please explain what this is (or to provide a reference to the right place)?

While I am at asking questions, is there any need for Platinum rings in the game? Or am I confusing them with puresteel rings which had some purpose in one of the previous Avernum games? or was in Geneforge?

1) Buy skribbane from the dealer in Fort Haledon ruins

2) Sell skribbane to dealer under Dharmon, gaining experience points for every bit of skribbane you sell.

If you already killed the Fort Haledon dealer, you can buy the skribbane directly from the Dharmon dealer and resell it, but that's more expensive.

Every few thousand gold you spend gives your entire party an experience level. It's pretty nice, especially at the end of the game when there's not much else to spend money on.

Platinum rings aren't good for anything except selling in A6, although you could use them to craft magic rings in earlier games.

Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves
After clicking the mouse one thousand times in one go and having only two of my PCs level up as a result, I decided it was time to clean up my quest list and clean out those evil skribbane dealers. wink

Eventually it reaches the point where you just use the editor to give you a level, and edit down your gold a few thousand coins.

Originally Posted By: Kreador
What I found interesting was that I went back to Dharmon later, after doing the skribbane exploit for a while, and decided to wipe out the dealer, only to suddenly find myself arrested without a fight and sent ignominiously to the Abyss, all in a dialog window, so no actual fight.

Did you do the dialog option to tell the dealer that you are here to kill him?

This game has dialog nodes where if you do certain things the game automatically jumps to an ending. Too many thefts in the Castle, Castle Food Depot and a few other places ends as your fellow soldiers can no longer stand your thieving habits. Failing to do quests that affect the story line or kill off certain characters and the game ends because you can't finish. The older games had fewer of these things.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Originally Posted By: Kreador
What I found interesting was that I went back to Dharmon later, after doing the skribbane exploit for a while, and decided to wipe out the dealer, only to suddenly find myself arrested without a fight and sent ignominiously to the Abyss, all in a dialog window, so no actual fight.

Did you do the dialog option to tell the dealer that you are here to kill him?

This game has dialog nodes where if you do certain things the game automatically jumps to an ending. Too many thefts in the Castle, Castle Food Depot and a few other places ends as your fellow soldiers can no longer stand your thieving habits. Failing to do quests that affect the story line or kill off certain characters and the game ends because you can't finish. The older games had fewer of these things.

That dialog option was not available. Perhaps 3000 skibbane vials transferred from Fort Haledon to Dharmon was too many.

What's all this then!?!?

The game really seems to impart the idea, that Skribbane Dealing belongs to the bad things one can do, in a way that I have been wondering how PC I would have to play to not get penalties for all kinds of behaviour, and here I find, that you gain a lot of XP for selling Skribbane!? Gaining money for that is okay I would think, because that's real, but XP?!

If you can get addicted to Skribbane, you should get negative XP for selling it, except for if you play a bad guy who helps some Hakaii or Dragon (who shows up veeeerrrrry late in the game) to win Avernum against all the Sliths AND the worms (Avernites) by turning them into shaking, drooling wrecks by making them all addicted to the stuff!

(By the way, Dragons should be transgender …)

Originally Posted By: Tcheedchee
The game really seems to impart the idea, that Skribbane Dealing belongs to the bad things one can do, in a way that I have been wondering how PC I would have to play to not get penalties for all kinds of behaviour, and here I find, that you gain a lot of XP for selling Skribbane!? Gaining money for that is okay I would think, because that's real, but XP?!

Gaining experience just means you're out doing things. It doesn't necessarily mean you're out doing good things. If you randomly decide to attack some friendly characters, you'll get the same amount of experience from killing them as you would if those characters were bandits or whatever who had attacked you. And there have always been a few bad quests in every game that give you experience for completion just like the good quests do.

Dikiyoba.

Yeah Dikiyoba,

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Gaining experience just means you're out doing things.

that's like in real life, grant you that.

It's just, that in some parts of the story one finds a really heavy emphasis on how bad the Skribbane Eaters and Dealers are. They are almost worse than Gladwell it seems. And looking at the quests Gladwell gives, you don't get any opinion-shaped hint about these tasks being good or bad, except for what you can figure out yourself.

The game is leaning a bit heavily to a PC-style of opinion concerning Skribbane is what I'm trying to say.

Since Shadowrun's (good) karma is not actually based on being good, given the nature of the game, I don't see any problems. In fact, most adventurers in CRPG behave quite a bit like shadowrunners. Priorities: survival with an optimization of loot and cool stuff, and sometimes the survival takes a back seat

—Alorael, who would rather see how Spiderweb games play out with a priest providing an alternative to Gladwell's geas. You will be absolutely, positively good, and you will accept no reward for your actions. How quickly would that geas get broken?

• 2 months later...

Bleh, I hate how your game is automatically ended, even if you could take on a whole town, just for killing someone no one liked anyhow. It's not very realistic >.> And what if I want to go and slaughter every creature in the game? I would love the ending "You have caused a genocide of all Avernites. The empire later moved in, and ended your violent life."