Avernum Series Idea: Bank Deposits

It rarely became an issue for me in Exile games (with a higher Gold cap), but having played Avernum 3 recently, I hit the 15000 Gold max quite often. Does anyone think it would have been useful to have a bank to save excess gold in any of the games?

I recognize that gold is scarce in more recent games, so is it a moot point?

I ended up keeping a record of the gold I didn't need (45,000) and restored it using the character editor when I found all the trainers.

You bring an interesting topic. A bank to store access amounts of gold in would be useful. I think there was a BoA Scenario (Where the River Meets, I think it was.) that had some sort of bank in it. Of course, there wasn't much use for it in BoA, because the Gold cap was raised to 30,000.

A Bank would be nice, but I don't think Jeff intends to put one in his games. A BoA designer could put one in his/her scenario though. I don't know if it's possible in BoE.

Mostly I just pile up items somewhere convient and convert them to gold when needed.

The gold cap comes from the size of the integer that is used for money. There is a bug where it's possible to exceed the cap amount and get a negative amount of gold because the integer is now read as a negative value because the first bit is considered the integer sign.

Originally Posted By: All the way to the bank
I ended up keeping a record of the gold I didn't need (45,000) and restored it using the character editor when I found all the trainers.

That's my standard solution to Spiderweb games and gold caps.

—Alorael, who thinks you're finding a problem where none exists. The banks come with the game, and they're even obliging enough to give you loans with -100% interest!

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted By: Earth2025
jeff thought that there is always something to train or buy so no need for bank.

There's *always* something to spend on; the problem is money doesn't flow in/out at equal speeds. You'll probably run against the cap while adventuring, and go broke every time it's time to go training/upgrading.

Tried going the legit way (storing excess gold as items to be sold off), but that was too inconvenient, so I had to go the record-extra-gold-on-paper way and restore whenever I needed.

Originally Posted By: Orifushi Mafuyu
There's *always* something to spend on; the problem is money doesn't flow in/out at equal speeds. You'll probably run against the cap while adventuring, and go broke every time it's time to go training/upgrading.
Like whenever I play E3/A3; I spend an hour getting the maximum gold (plus a few good items to sell), and all the gold is gone again in under a minute at Blackcrag Fortress when I buy one spell for everyone in my party.