WHAT THE @#$!?

I just made a rather shocking realization. Torment doesn't just increase your enemy's damage and hit points, it reduces your resistances as well. What the hell, that's hardly fair! Pumping up the strength of the enemy is one thing, but shamelessly nerfing your character is another. If I needed any further justification as to why Avernum 5 is a cheap pile of garbage, I just got it.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Originally Posted By: Untamed Banana Slug
Torment doesn't just increase your enemy's damage

Quote:
reduces your resistances as well

But... those two things have exactly the same effect. Why would you be angry about one but not the other?

Because when my stat screen says 30% fire resistance, I expect 30% fire resistance. Buffing the enemies (or improving their AI) is one thing, but handicapping your character in such a cheap fashion as well, and not even having the decency to tell you about it, is just ridiculous. Jeff must be some sort of masochist, I can almost imagine what he was thinking when he rationalised this nonsense.

"Hmm, OK, so I've made it that Torment difficult doubles the hitpoints and damage output of all enemies, meaning that any players will be hacking away at boss characters for 20 minutes. What else can I do to piss players off?"

"I know, I'll automatically deduct resistance from the PC, so that they can flagrantly waste skill points on resistance boosting stats and not receive any noticable effect in return. Even better, I won't mention this anywhere in the documentation, so they'll need to play the game on both normal and torment to discover my little stunt. Tehehe, brilliance."

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Torment doesn't just increase your enemy's damage

Quote:
reduces your resistances as well

But... those two things have exactly the same effect. Why would you be angry about one but not the other?

Probably because its not one, but both, so you get pounded into the a twitching pulp fastser than you would have if only one of them was in effect.

It's not just that. Based on the incomplete and misleading information, you may make decisions regarding character creation that are downright detrimental. It would be like a world class fighter being told that the karate tournament he is participating in allows punches, so he spends most of his training time increasing his upper body strength. Except when the tournament comes around, oops, they tie his hands behind his back. Added to this, buff up all of his opponents with steroids and cybernetic arms, and he's in for the curb stomping of his life.

Does Torment *actually* reduce the effect of resistances? I'm inclined to trust you since you were right and I was wrong before, but I'm surprised nobody has noticed that before if it's the case. Make sure you aren't confusing it with the method of damage reduction (extremely chancy, according to Thuryl's theory) or the calculation of stat bonuses to resistance (add-then-multiply, often disappointing),

Slarty is right in that armor and resistances aren't the actual number shown, but the chance for each armor piece to reduce damage. So sometimes you get damage reduced and sometimes it doesn't.

Jeff explained this once, but I couldn't locate it.

Edit - If I remember the explanation correctly, each percentage point of resistance has a chance to block or not block damage up to the resistance chance for the armor piece. So you can get less than your total resistance. This is why now that we can see damage penetrating and resistance, the percentage resisted changes each attack.

Originally Posted By: Squee and Beautiful Dumb Smile
Does Torment *actually* reduce the effect of resistances? I'm inclined to trust you since you were right and I was wrong before, but I'm surprised nobody has noticed that before if it's the case. Make sure you aren't confusing it with the method of damage reduction (extremely chancy, according to Thuryl's theory) or the calculation of stat bonuses to resistance (add-then-multiply, often disappointing),

I'm aware of the current hypothesis on how damage reduction works, and it makes perfect sense. But, it doesn't explain why my slith with an armour and fire resistance of approximately 35% fire resist/armour NEVER receives damage reduction on Torment, whereas that same slith receives the correct percentage reduction in normal. I'm assuming that there is some sort of invisible deduction to your PCs' resistances on Torment, similar to what occurs in Diablo 2 when you progress to Nightmare/Hell difficulty.

Wait, he never receives any damage reduction at all on Torment?

Assuming you mean he doesn't receive the expected damage reduction, one possibility is that part of the damage is added after resistance. I don't think that's likely, but Jeff has implemented things like that before -- see blessing and shield effects in Nethergate: Resurrection, for example.

Sir may I?smile

Ok, start a new a game, take a mage character with divinely touched and leather armor and buckler. Hmmm, what you expect?

Well whatever you expect, result will be 0 blocked. So untamed banana slug is correct here in that case. Hey whatz your name dude?

Wait, lets take more observation, go to Azure gallery, in remenent area. Take all the buff but dont take the most basic buff of priest, protection, it just cost 4 spell point, what difference it can make in late game? The endured warrior will die within one shot no matter how many buff he has, if you wont cast protection, the cute mage will last two shots if you will cast protection. Not getting? Take invulnerability potion, but dont cast protection, you will take just as much as damage what you will only expect from a death curse. What such a small buff can do? Play dude... You will see.(this is not related to this research but this is really very frustrating).

3: The best place to take some hostile effect resistance is Haakai, take all the fire resistance and all buff.Fight. Write all your observation(write damage resisted and taken separately), now take only steel skin, write observations again, now play without buff and write again, compare all the three columns damage with the amount of resistance game displays, you will see that the actual mathematical observation what you were expecting to see without any buff will lie in steel skin buffed fight. Untamed banana slug is correct again.

This is all I can help.

Originally Posted By: Squee and Beautiful Dumb Smile
Wait, he never receives any damage reduction at all on Torment?

No. What I mean is that on Torment, if your resistances/armour are under a certain value (about 30%), you receive NO damage reduction whatsoever. Ergo. There is a 'threshold' resistance percentage value you must possess in order to receive any damage reduction, and even if you are above this threshold value, the damage reduction is far less than what is depicted on your stat sheet.

For example: My slith has a fire resistance of 30%. On Torment, I receive *no* damage reduction when blasted with a fire bolt. On Normal, I receive 30% damage reduction from a firebolt.

If my Slith has 55% fire resistance, on Torment I receive a damage reduction far less than 55% (somewhere around 15-20%). On Normal, I receive a damage reduction of 55%.

This is what leads me to believe that Torment mode makes an 'invisible' deduction from your resistances when determining damage reduction that you receive from any enemy strike.

If you doubt me, then simply start up the game as a human with Divine Warrior trait (armour 20%, or something close to that) and let yourself get whacked a few times by the undead, both on Torment and Normal difficulty. I'm willing to bet you will not receive any damage reduction on Torment, but will have a 20% damage reduction on Normal.

It may be that torment lessens the chance of getting the full 35% resistance, while on easy it's easy to get.

I just made a rather shocking realization. Torment doesn't just increase your enemy's damage and hit points, it reduces your resistances as well. What the hell, that's hardly fair! Pumping up the strength of the enemy is one thing, but shamelessly nerfing your character is another. If I needed any further justification as to why Avernum 5 is a cheap pile of garbage, I just got it.

It does sound like your complaining because torment is to hard. While you do this, you seem to imply that avernum 5 has many flaws. If it has so many flaws, why did you buy it? If you didn't buy it, why are you complaining?