Fort Monastery - iron bar quest

MacProject

Quote:
Originally written by WonkoTheSane:
As long as the door is closed, you can murder without them getting angry at you. Best part of A4, IMO :p .
Speaking of which, and bear with me since this might be construed as a noob-ish question...but how can I steal something in a seemingly empty room?

For example, I'm in the Castle and there's a chest with an icy geode I wouldn't mind having for a quest. The geode has a "NY" on it, but as far as I can tell I'm the only one in the room with no NPC's around anywhere. Yet, each time I snatch te item I get the dreaded "Your crime was seen" message.

Somebody must be nearby. If you steal something in a truly empty room, you can get away with it. If BoA is anything to judge by, Avernum handles line-of-sight sort of weirdly, so that you may not be able to see people, but they can see you.

Bear in mind that most places have a crime tolerance of 2, so you can steal one thing without making the town hostile.

Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
Somebody must be nearby. If you steal something in a truly empty room, you can get away with it. If BoA is anything to judge by, Avernum handles line-of-sight sort of weirdly, so that you may not be able to see people, but they can see you.

Bear in mind that most places have a crime tolerance of 2, so you can steal one thing without making the town hostile.
It must be one of the Castle servants then.
Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally written by VCH:
Yes what a nice feature murder is. The king and Solberg died on my sword. Scratch that apparently King Strattus has too many guards so I loose. frown
Ahh. Lord British, wither didst thou go? There is honour of a sort not easily comprehended in killing the king.

(Is Starrus actually unkillable or just well guarded?)

There's a different trick to killing Lord British in every game.

There's no trick at all to killing Starrus. It's just unfortunate that you have to die too.

—Alorael, who can't understand why Emperor Hawthorne, the most powerful man in the world, couldn't come up with some kind of instant death script or special node but Starrus and Micah, impoverished kings of an exiled nation, could.

Well, I suppose the equivalent trick would be to kill Starrus (or have him die) and not die yourself. Is there any loophole in the script? Is the script location specific? What if you aren't actually in the castle when he dies? (Either draw him away from the castle or poison/acid him and run.)

Enquiring minds want to know. Well, that and I can't get to my home computer to try it out myself.

The Castle's zone script checks every turn to see if Starrus is alive. If he isn't, the script displays a note about you being captured etc. It also notes that the zone has become hostile. Interestingly, it looks like it will then take until the next running of the zone script's START_STATE for the party to be killed. So, you could get away with it, I think, if you killed Starrus, and then got far enough away, and stayed far enough away, in a single turn, that the Castle's script never got to run again. This is in fact quite far, I believe, since I have noted that scripts in Almaria begin to run when the party arrives in Camp Samuels by teleporter.