Better Shopping?

Yes you can edit scripts. Check the editors that have been made for the game in the Avernum 4 header. I think it might give you what you want.

Checked - It gives you more than that so you might want to edit out the other things and then after backing up the original file replace it with the new one.

Well, if we're talking strategy now, first aid will recover some spell points after a battle.

The easiest thing to do might be to search the scripts for someone's dialogue you can get to easily, and then add a reward_give at the end. I don't have A4, so I can't test it for you, but it will probably end up looking like this:

Code:
text[#] = "Blah blah blah. Blah blah.";code =reward_give([item # for energy elixirs]);break;
Dikiyoba.

The A4 header is the area of text above the topics list. The link of interest is Hawk King's A4 Editor.

When you look at the text near the end of the file you will see the extra lines of code that alter the characters and give you items. Copy the file and remove the features that you don't want. Then you can copy this file to the Avernum 4 files to replace a hopefully backupped file for the start point of the game.

There is another editor or trainer that gives different results, but I don't remember the topic it's in.