A5 Questions again

okay i have a coupel of things to say since the last thread for thhis was closed. One is what was with the tree E? another is that this is a thread for the discussion of improvments and things to bring back, and it is not about abycus's and rain corrupting saved games made with a stick. WIth that litle part said, what do you guys think about the attack graphics and should there be another one?

If a thread is locked, there's a reason. Your best bet is to send Ephesos a private message instead of starting a new topic.

( http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=private_message;u=00004153 )

--------------------

If I am occasionally a little over-dressed, I make up for it by being immensely over-educated.

- Algernon

The Exiles did not have attack animations. They had a static image for standing still, and a static image for attacking. They did, however, have animated terrains, in which the terrain would cycle through four graphics. Not sure if those were in all the Exile games, but it's in BoE and E3 at least.

The previous thread wasn't really bad. Ephesos is just the Eliot Ness of spam. And it's high time somebody took a stand like that around here. I remember when there was no spam at all, on my abacus.

But seriously, folks. What Jeff does is incrementally upgrade his graphics, adding a few features each game. A4 got higher resolution and a seamless world, G4 got some nice spell effect graphics, A5 screenshots show that it is getting elevation. It's almost certainly way too late now for him to change A5 graphics much further. But if there were a consensus here about some more incremental changes for G5 or A6, he might well listen to it.

Alright then guys, what do you think is a reasonable number of attack graphics? jeff made a major improvment with avernum 4, i liked the spell animation, the projectiles were a seperate graphic, but there was no mellee improvment. so what do you think is a reasonable amount of graphics, and what type of animation do you think needs the improvment the most?

As far as animations are concerned, attack graphics are an obvious option. The problem is that they would be a fairly minor change in the A4 engine, since the character sprites are rather small. Yet they would be a lot of work, because practically everything in the game would need several new animations.

I think that smoother elevation changes, or eye candy like better water and steam and lava effects, would be a better investment of Jeff's time. Work on some nice environmental chrome like this would make some attractive screenshots to help sales, and would offer a more obvious result than just, 'If you look closely you can notice that your Slith just swung his spear instead of jabbing with it.'

Right now you have the opponent flinch when attacked as it reacts to the blow. Jeff pretty much kept the graphics from A4 and GF4 while adding a few for new monsters. Graphics aren't a high priority judging from the number of place holder graphics that will be replaced before release.

What Jeff has done is made a better and more original plot. He's brought back several old characters for continuity and in jokes for those who have played the earlier games. A little Geneforgish in tone, but way better than A4. Fighters now have more options with battle disciplines than just hack or shoot.

I wouldn't mind more character graphics at all, especially not such ones showing the reaction of attacked characters.

I agree with Student of Trinity though, as I think that things you see the most should be the first to be improved, such as the ground you're walking on.

Different kinds of rock would be nice.

Looking at the screenshots, it seems this will be another Gevernum. Will it still play like Geneforge as Avernum 4 did, or is Jeff considering returning to the Avernum 3/Nethergate: Ressurection style of gameplay and graphics? (My overwhelmingly preferred version...I couldn't stand the Geneforge games and I absolutely loathed Avernum 4 because of its Geneforge qualities.)