Sudden Ending

Wanderer

Well I mean I got congratulated and everything but I thought that the game was going to continue and it didn't. And I so much wanted to see how the new owners had redone Erica's living room and what their paint scheme was! Erica, as you remember, had to keep the shades drawn so she had only very bright colors inside.

Take your save in Rentar-Ihrno's keep and trudge back through the keep and any surviving pylons. You can also cheat by pressing Shift-D and entering "backtostart" without quotes. That will return you to Fort Monastery.

—Alorael, who doesn't think Erika was too worried about the sunshine in Avernum. It really isn't a problem that often. Once, to be precise.

I was surprised me too by this sudden end. I had to use cheat backstart" to try to finish the quest of ths translation of the sroll but it's not possible. I say to Lark that I know to translate the scroll and Larck ask to me to translate them but I don't know how to do confused

av6.jpg

I have another quest that I have not solved "Liberate Spire", I have not understood what I have to do confused

I couldn't finish the "Vanhatai rescue" and "Ghall-Irhno's Comfort" quests because Houghton was dead and "research note" quest because I have sold 2 books.

I'm very sad to have finished the game frown

I think that i'm going to start a new game because I love this game so much smile

Quote:
Originally written by Mimi:
I say to Lark that I know to translate the scroll and Larck ask to me to translate them but I don't know how to do confused
Remember the room in the northwest corner of the fort where you originally found the scrolls, right at the start of the gamea? Look at the box of scrolls in that room again, and you'll be given the option to translate them. After you've translated them, go back and talk to Lark again.

Quote:
I have another quest that I have not solved "Liberate Spire", I have not understood what I have to do confused
As the quest description says, talk to Commander Elphaba in Fort Saffron after you've killed the leader of the group occupying Spire Fort.

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
As the quest description says, talk to Commander Elphaba in Fort Saffron after you've killed the leader of the group occupying Spire Fort.[/QB]
I had forgotten the cave in Spire Fortress, sorry
confusedconfused

Now these 2 quests are solved but a new one is given by Levitt about Dorikas and so if I have understood what it has been said in this topic I can't finish this quest ? frown

av7.jpg

No, the Dorikas quest is no problem as long as you have a saved game that isn't at the absolute end of the game after defeating Rentar-Ihrno.

—Alorael, who is a little bothered by the fact that you can be asked to see to Ghall-Ihrno's comfort if Ghall-Ihrno is not actually present.

Thank you all for your help. I used the cheat code to go back to Ft Mon. I do see why I ended up in a situation of ending the game before dealing with Dorikas. I took a wrong turn in the Remote Lands--and went up to R-I's fort, rather than to the Darkside folks hideout. So I'm not sure the game is strictly linear.

But....I finished. The fights with R-I and Dorikas are definitely the most tactically challenging in all the games from E1 onward.

Yes, the atmosphere of the final Rentar fight was appropriately creepy. It's just too bad that her "army" was just two undead vahnatai, which spoiled the effect a bit. The fight was incredibly straightforward, as I just hacked her apart with a few intense volleys of spells, only deviating to fire the occasional arrow at an energy sphere.

Straightforward doesn't have to be bad, though... I personally loved the Grah-Hoth battle in A1, because he wasn't über-shielded, and he did an insane amount of damage to you. That made you strategize for what starts off looking like a simple fight (well, simple for a room full of demons).

Dorikas was appropriately difficult, though the whole "forget the plot, he should be dead now" thing. Fear was never used all that well until A4, and this was a good example. If your party was terrorized right after he summoned allies, you had to do quite a bit of catching up the second you came out of it. The setting of the Dorikas fight, however, was a bit of a letdown. It probably would've been better if he'd made for the portal sooner, and not stopped to fight you quite as long. (That'd even take care of those situations where he's standing there with 0 hp and glaring at you)

"I think it made sense that Rhentar Ihrno's last fight wasn't as hard as it could be, because according to the plot she's weak and using the last of her resources."

Difficulty is highly subjective and varies greatly from player to player. I promise you that a number of my testers, accomplished Avernum-players all, found the climactic fight to be a genuine challenge. But I am sure many of the more experienced people will find it to be easy.

Remember, if I make a fight difficult for everyone, even the hardcore, then a lot of players will find it insurmountable. I got a lot of complaints from my friends (and wife) about the difficulty of the later parts of Geneforge 3. So if you, like many, found that game to be too easy, this should give you some sympathy for my situation.

- Jeff Vogel

The Rentar fight was appropriately difficult I believe. Perhaps somewhat static in that nothing really happens beyond her trying to cast various powerful spells which the crystal you have blocks. Though, it should not be forgotten that if one smashes the crystal then the fight will be much more difficult. I smashed the crystal shard the first time through and found myself having a tense fight. Dorkas was definitely the most interesting fight throughout the game. The setting . . . well he was in Avernum not the Empire so he really couldn't build that much beyond what Erika's basement consisted off.

Quote:
I did think like Jeff's wife and others that the end of G3 was too difficult to really enjoy. But the two climactic fights of A4 were perfectly balanced. Perhaps its inherent in the difference between the turn-based games and the real time of the Genforge series.
Er, probably not. Geneforge's combat is just as turn-based as Avernum's is, so that shouldn't make any difference.

I didn't complain about the R-I fight when I was beta testing because I figured that some people would find it hard.

I don't even remember it, actually. I just remember thinking afterwards that other SW combats had been more difficult, and Garzahd (in A2, not in A4) was more fun. Heck, R-I in A3 was more fun for me. It's a matter of personal preference, I guess.

Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
Heck, R-I in A3 was more fun for me. It's a matter of personal preference, I guess.
Killing Rentar-Ihrno in A3 was immense fun. Yes, I know it doesn't make any plot difference, but it was still fun to see the huge summoning battle that unfolded. Took about 40 minutes, though...

I liked the very idea of a mage hammering you with spells why you have to try and actually do things. I really liked Rentar's teleportation spell- it'd have been nice, though, if she REALLY went all-out on the party (and by her, I mean JV). Not just difficulty-wise, either.

I mean, what if Rentar made the ground next to the party instantly form an earthen barrier? Or why didn't she seal off rooms with small cave-ins? Or what about making her fly, so that she can't be hit by melee attacks? Or what about giant, searing waves of fire that the party has to get out of in order to breathe?

Man, I would love- just once- to actually fight a mage, not just a dude with a flamethrower.

Jeff's point should be well taken; but TM's too. Is there any chance that difficulty setting could be made to do more than just pump hit points and damage? So for instance could bosses run drastically different scripts on Torment than on Easy?

I don't see why not. Surely the only difficulty would lie in coming up with the multiple scripts. But this would satisfy more players, and also provide more replay value, since people would be motivated to see different battles.

And it seems to me that even just pumping damage and hit points could be made to have a bigger effect than merely dragging out battles longer. Suppose the party picks up a superwand with very short range. On Easy, you just have to get in close, fire your wand, and Bam: you threw the ring into the volcano, the Dark Lord is dead, cue the ending text. On Torment, you get in close, fire your wand, and Bam: you scorched his beard, the Dark Lord is going medieval, think of Plan B.

Quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:
Jeff's point should be well taken; but TM's too. Is there any chance that difficulty setting could be made to do more than just pump hit points and damage? So for instance could bosses run drastically different scripts on Torment than on Easy?

I don't see why not. Surely the only difficulty would lie in coming up with the multiple scripts. But this would satisfy more players, and also provide more replay value, since people would be motivated to see different battles.
I have seen this in many games, and therefor it surprises me to read this. I don't own any game (except BoA), so I didn't play any game to the end, so I don't know anything about it. It still surprises me to read that the attacks and battles are the same, only more difficult and longer. i think Jeff would do a good job in more variations of the same battle, which is roughly the same as Student of Trinity just said.