A4 - problem getting into formello

bk23

Quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:
be prepared for an icy reception.
I groan at thee, sir!

—Alorael, who thinks it's only fair to warn you that the first half of A4 is very linear and the rest is fairly linear too. You will do the major quests in order or you will not be able to move forward.

That restriction on movement is a good idea too. Otherwise your low - level party could blunder into something too big to handle. So the game needs a pacing mechanism which ensures that the party does not have the ability to explore areas where the monsters are just too tough.

The flip side is that the game is more linear than its predecessors. In Avernum 1 you could make a bee - line for Erika's Tower quite easily. This could lead to big trouble.

Quote:
Originally written by Ishad Nha:
That restriction on movement is a good idea too. Otherwise your low - level party could blunder into something too big to handle. So the game needs a pacing mechanism which ensures that the party does not have the ability to explore areas where the monsters are just too tough.

The flip side is that the game is more linear than its predecessors. In Avernum 1 you could make a bee - line for Erika's Tower quite easily. This could lead to big trouble.
Hmm, in the games "Diablo" and "Diablo 2" (yeah I know these games are linear too) you could move to the next (more difficult) area sooner, rather than later, and be able to handle things. Though with greater difficulty, but you'll get more XP for it, and at the end of the game you character will be about the same level.

In "Diablo" there are even advantages to avoid level-up for as long as possible.

I personally like the way this is balanced.

Quote:
Originally written by SevenMass:

I personally like the way this is balanced.
Balanced eh? The glory of the previous Exile series was that you could do what ever you wanted out side of the story. All this realy does is confine you to the story. They pulled an EV Nova.

[EDIT]
If you use a mac and you haven't heard of EV, eek

You can indeed get more passwords from Ambrosia, and they've got the system completely automated.

—Alorael, who has gotten new EV:N passwords many times. He tends to do horrible things to do the game files in the name of plugins and then scrap it all, reinstall, and reregister.