Is there any problem or bug associated with leaving all of the items that I collect and don't want to sell sitting on the ground in one particular spot?

So far I've been dropping all the niffty stuff I want to keep ("just in case") at Pylon Grand Central Station, and I've recently started putting the jewelry in the jar that's in the cage area nearby. Is there anything I need to watch out for associated with this type of procedure?

Quote:
Originally written by Nioca:
Not that I'm aware of, but I still keep all of my currently unneeded items in a container. In fact, I keep all of my unneeded items in the jar you mentioned. I'm still trying to figure out how a small jar can hold 8 bars of metal, 10 fine leather, and over 60 gemstones. smile
I hope no one breaks in there, because I've got about 60,000 gold worth of magic rings and necklaces in that little chamber pot.

Of course, in the room right out side of it, the entire floor is covered with magic swords, spears, bows, plate armor, boots, helmets and gloves.

I sometimes envision my characters coming up to that room and it looks like the toy room after my kids get done playing in it: no floor visible and everything scattered in a chaotic mess. And then they've (edit for clarity: my characters, not my kids wink )got to wade through a ton of priceless, powerful heirlooms and artifacts, kicking aside Blessed Broadswords and Blessed Breasplates and tripping over Runed Helms to get to the other end of the room. It's a pretty funny picture in my head, anyway. wink

It's a good strategy. However, there are a couple things to watch out for. I think you can only have 200 separate items in a zone (grouped items like iron bars count as a single item) before the least valuable stuff starts to disappear. Also, if you choose to drop a bunch of stuff in one spot on the ground, it can really slow down the game and/or characters will disappear whenever you walk near that spot.

Dikiyoba.

Taking a hint from others (especially Dikiyoba) I found that placing the items in small piles allows you to quickly see what is in that pile if they aren't too close. So all the wands are together in a corner, etc. It takes a few minutes to see everything, but having like items together speeds up finding just one or two things.

The following is some advice from a pack rat extraordinnaire.

Quote:
Originally written by Peter Principle:

Is there any problem or bug associated with leaving all of the items that I collect and don't want to sell sitting on the ground in one particular spot?

I've been doing that for years with the GF and Avernum series, as well as E3. I have yet to find any type of bug, except that GF games have a limit as to how much you can put in one spot. And with E3, if there's too many items in a town or dungeon, you get a message like "too many items, some item destroyed" when you drop something, but you need a lot of items on the ground before that happens.

Quote:
Originally written by Peter Principle:

So far I've been dropping all the niffty stuff I want to keep ("just in case") at Pylon Grand Central Station, and I've recently started putting the jewelry in the jar that's in the cage area nearby. Is there anything I need to watch out for associated with this type of procedure?

The only thing you really need is to remember what you've picked up, and you've put it. For example, in E3, I use the storage room where you get your gear, both as an item cache and as an alchemy lab (for the alchemy part, mostly I make and store Knowledge Brew and Strong Energy potions when my skill is high enough).

-----

Now for some general tips:

First, there's no thieves (except maybe you), so there's absolutely no worry that your items will sprout legs and walk off. smile

Second, if you think something might be even remotely useful, keep it. You never know what piece of junk might come in handy someday.

Third, you can use your cache for, well, cash. If there's some item I've collected but will never use, I have very few qualms selling it.

èhh I've been hordeing since grindstone, all in neat little racks and each type of item has it's own little pot or shelf so there's no triping over demonslayers or gridles of might etc.

I horde just about everything thats even remotely magical, anything with a value over 100 is added and it's all stored in neat little piles in grindstone's storage area.

(the traps are still enabled and the doors still locked so anyone trying to steal say my eigth demonslayer will encounter some VERY nasty traps.

Quote:
Originally written by Nioca:
You have eight Demonslayers?

*narrows eyes skeptically*

Either you have the character editor, or have encountered some sort of unusual bug.
My guess is the character editor.

I've never heard of someone honestly acquiring that many of a good item, except via the junk shops in E3.

Quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:
I suppose it'd be possible to reset sdf flags repeatedly... but yeah, I'm curious as to how Nija here obtained eight Demonslayers.
You could basically have as many as you wanted just from editing the game files, couldn't you? Just replace the item characteristics for bronze short swords and cavewood bows with those of your magic item of choice.

Quote:
Originally written by Schrodinger:
Both items are just flavor. I've gone metal detecting a few times, and have gotten excited about some loud beeps, only to find out it's just a soda can ring or a bent nail. It's probably much the same with your characters.
That's awesome. It would almost be disappointing if it did have some purpose. A spoon! Ha!

By Nija:

Quote:
I offer a thought.

Einstein would turn in his grave, not only does god play dice, the dice are loaded.

(A Chinese scientist, quotation on the quantum theory)

Bah. University FTW!

As for multiple Demonslayers, I seem to recall hearing about a bug that lets you duplicate items. Something like picking up an item, saving, reloading, then dropping it.

--------------------

I think I just failed a Spot check.

- Belkar (OotS #3)