Real newbie questions for G4

I like the whole 'lifecrafter' thing, following my magician (read pet summoner) in Everquest (see name).

Anyway, on to my newbiew quesitons:

- Does it make sense to blow all my gold on training 'upgraded' creatures? (I'm guessing I should concentrate on 1 or 2 types of creatures, probably magic and/or fire)

- Is it harmless of costly to unsummon a pet (er, creature) and resummon others to see them and experiment? I notice the creature has exp points, adding to his attributes, so I'm concerned that getting rid of it will lose that.

- How do I know what items to keep for future crafting, and which to sell for gold? Some are obvious like sell unneeded weapons and keep herbs, but things like rings, bars of iron, trader equipment with the description vaguely alluding to 'useful for people doing research'... maybe it's for someone to use to research a creature.

Most games seem to make a point to give you an idea about that, and those that don't are often infamous for frustration (how many EQ players had bags full of 'just in case' items early on?) They eventually added a 'used in crafting' tag on items. World of Warcraft, in contrast, used the 'gray/white' name convention to distinguish.

1. Maybe not all your gold (you'll want spells and a few items too), but yes. If you can can get three levels of a creation, you can then create an upgraded version of it. Some of the upgraded creations are lousy, but others are really good. Battle shaping creations are lousy, so focus more on magic and/or fire shaping.

2. Creations level up if you have them around for a while. So an artila you've had for a long time will be stronger than an artila you just made. But eventually higher-tier creations will be stronger than lower-tier creations you've had for a long time. That said, it's very possible to keep the first creations you make throughout the entire game.

And experimenting is always good, though you might want to keep a backup save in case you want to go back and do something differently.

3. Synergy's Forging List. Spoilerific, but extremely handy. You'll also come across these recipes in-game by reading books and talking to people. You'll also want to hang onto research notes, swamp herbs, and melted glass.

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba

You'll also want to hang onto research notes, swamp herbs, and melted glass.

Dikiyoba.

You forgot to mention the cake quest. You should probably collect cakes as soon as you see it, cause there's only 3 or 4 in the game, and I could neer remember where.

Edit: Typo

A general comment on game design:

Two approaches are both valid, one where 'quest items' are clearly noted as such for the player, and another where there's a problem-solving/exploration/mystery element to figuring out how to use items for crafting.

But the approach that doesn't work for me is when you have far more items than inventory space, and no way to discern which ones to save other than arbitrarily guessing and having to not keep some items that are useful while keeping some that are useless, until you find the quests and can use the information when you replay the game.

I find that an exercise iin frustration and futilty. Not aiming the comment at G4, but just expressing an opinion on the issue.

Thanks for the responses. I'm still a bit fuzzy on the pet with experience versus the new model pet tradeoffs.

A creation you've had for a long time will be better than one you just made, unless you drastically improved your Shaping skills, but a new creation of a stronger type will be even better. In other words, if you've had a Fyora for a long time, don't get rid of it for a new Fyora, Thahd, or Artila. Do get rid of it for a new Cryoa.

Items can be stored anywhere on the ground, so excess items can pile up in a convient spot to be retrieved when you need them.

This is really necessary when your backpack fills with charms.

Research notebook quest is the guy in the southeast corner of the inn in Dillame.

[Edit: Randomizer, boo! :p]

Originally Posted By: Petoffen
But the approach that doesn't work for me is when you have far more items than inventory space, and no way to discern which ones to save other than arbitrarily guessing and having to not keep some items that are useful while keeping some that are useless, until you find the quests and can use the information when you replay the game.

Find a box or barrel somewhere you have easy access to and store all your extra items there (I use the box near the back exit of Southforge for stackable items and the floor just a few spaces away for non-stackable items). You are not supposed to carry every thing you will ever need with you the whole time. The limit is some earlier games is two hundred items per zone but I think in G4 it's been raised, so storing items shouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted By: The Ratt
Where's the research notes quest? I've never been able to find it.

Fackler, located in the Dillame Inn. He's mixed in with all the drunks, so use tab to find him.

Dikiyoba.

Creations gain experience only slowly, and it takes a lot of experience to make a difference. So a little experimenting really won't cost you anything significant. But creations that you've had with you through an entire chapter or two will be quite a bit better than brand-new replacements of the same type (unless in between you have raised your creation skills a lot). So you probably shouldn't replace those ones casually.

I normally don't have a problem with this. I usually find that by the time I learn a new creation, I have enough spare essence to make one to try it out. Or if I don't have enough spare on hand, it's because I've been steadily investing all my essence in creations, so my last one or two are rather new and can be sacrificed without much loss. Or later in the game it may be best to sacrifice my oldest creations, because they are long since obsolete and are bound to be absorbed soon anyway.

Depending upon the Geneforge game, later higher tier creations will have more health and other stats for the same or less essence cost. The best way to check is to have a separate back up save game file so you can see what the differences are before absorbing older creations. You can't always generalize and some players get by with their original creations.

See that's why I never found him, I try to avoid drunkards as much as possible. They tend to be violent at most, and rude or unconversational at most.

There is cake in the kitchens of Dillame Fortress, which is to the left of the entrance.

Also is there someone else who wants cake other than that servile in Khima-Uss?

Thanks again. I started a second char concentrating on fire creatures, and have barely started, but the same question comes up pretty quickly - I saved up enough for the first improvement to the first creature (fyora?), but the one I'd summoned I think went up a bit in levels doing the first few quests, so worth it to summoned the 'improved' one? Dunno.

To update the above, I did a save and summon and compared them and the new one had better stats all around, slightly.

What kind of 'improved' do you mean? Making a Cryoa instead of the Fyora, or just 'evolving' the Fyora (boosting its stats a bit)?

Cryoas are quite a lot better than Fyoras, but also cost quite a lot more, so you really have to compare one Cryoa to a couple of Fyoras. You might want to just wait a bit, or pump Intelligence to get more essence, so that you can make the Cryoa without dumping your Fyora. Compare them and see which is better bang for buck.

Evolving existing creations can be worthwhile, but I usually never bother. You have to spend quite a lot more essence to boost a primitive creation type up to the point where it can compete with higher tier creatures. Maybe it can sometimes end up being more efficient to use evolved low-tier creatures instead of higher tier ones, but when the opportunity to make a more advanced creature comes up I'd usually rather have the new model because it's new and different.

I meant the next step up fyora. The original was level 11, and the new one was level 12.

It'd be nice with these names to know in game whether the creatures are fire magic or physical, but I can look it up.

This guy's (fyora) a terror and fun! Now to figure out where his stats are best. Currently str>dex>end>int, balancing all.

It'd be nice with these names to know in game whether the creatures are fire magic or physical, but I can look it up.

Each horizontal row on the creation screen corresponds to a class of creations. The row that starts with fyoras is all fire creations, the row that starts with thahds is battle creations, and the row that starts with artilas is magic creations.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl

Each horizontal row on the creation screen corresponds to a class of creations. The row that starts with fyoras is all fire creations, the row that starts with thahds is battle creations, and the row that starts with artilas is magic creations.

I guess I meant at the trainer in his menu, too.

Well, I got a cryoa, good stuff.

And now the tradeoff is getting less clear after I got an improvement to it.

My original cryoa is level 20, 130HP, 12/12/12/10, 10k exp.

My new croa is level 16, 118HP, 13/13/11/11, 15k exp.

So the new one has better stats (by 2) but 4 fewer levels, 5k less exp, and 12 fewer HP.

I guess the old one is better.

I rarely increase a creation's stats beyond the 2 intelligence. A few points if I see they really need it and I have the essence to spare, but that's all. Even with maxed stats, a fyora is never going to be a major damage dealer (or absorber), so the essence would be better spent on a new creation to help the fyora out.

Dikiyoba.

I may have to try for 2 cryora's soon.

He's doing very nicely, but there was one enemy, an undead guarding a belt, and it was strange.

He'd regularly only do 1 damage the first attack, maybe 0 the next; ok, then I'd think his attack just doesn't work - but later he'd start doing 39 damage and 41 damage. Weird that it'd be so varied.

He's also not as helpful with crowds, since he kills 1 per round.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Your cryoa has two attacks. The breath attack does cold damage, which the undead is immune to, and the bite attack does physical damage, which the undead is not immune to. Does that explain the difference?

Dikiyoba.

It doesn't, because the cryoa was only seen using one attack per round. The damage I described wasn't 0 damage then 41 damage as two attacks in a round, it was like 1 damage in round 1, 0 damage round 2, then maybe suddently 39 damage round 3, 41 damage round 4, and so on.

Anyway, I got the two cryoa's, and that's great, but I went into the mud pit, and that's not so great. Those flowers that eat buds to regen are a problem.

My two cryoas can *almost* kill one, but then it full regens and fears them or wipes them out before long (I found the crystals and summoned two fresh cryoas, but...)

My char sort of stands there twiddling his thumbs after a battle buff, since he does little damage, little in heals, etc. Maybe he should strap on the sword and take a wack.

Maybe this is a set of battles deserving the use of those speed spores...

It doesn't, because the cryoa was only seen using one attack per round. The damage I described wasn't 0 damage then 41 damage as two attacks in a round, it was like 1 damage in round 1, 0 damage round 2, then maybe suddently 39 damage round 3, 41 damage round 4, and so on.

Yes, it's only doing one attack per round, but it has two attacks to choose from. When it's in melee range, it'll use its bite attack: if it's even a tiny distance away from its target, it'll use its cold breath.

You may as well use speed spores for tough battles if you have them: they'll become mostly redundant once you learn to cast Haste anyway.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Also take out the buds first so it can't use them to regenerate.

If he has two cryoas that are blessed and hasted, Dikiyoba suspects it's possible to take the spinecore out in a single round. No need to get shot at. Might take some careful positioning to make sure the cryoas are getting two attacks per round, though.

Thanks; I would but don't think my guys can take the hits from the main flowers while killing the buds.

So, new plan, I'm gonna use those blue ice crystals along with the two cryoa's, that should kill them in one round.

The haste and move back would probably work too, but I have more crystals than haste:)

Compliments to Jeff for coming up with the fresh monster, we've played enough games that you don't see a lot fresh:)

Thanks; I would but don't think my guys can take the hits from the main flowers while killing the buds.

So, new plan, I'm gonna use those blue ice crystals along with the two cryoa's, that should kill them in one round.

The haste and move back would probably work too, but I have more crystals than haste:)

Compliments to Jeff for coming up with the fresh monster, we've played enough games that you don't see a lot fresh:)

If you can take the Spinecore (that's the central "flower") out in one round, the buds can't do squat. Focus on getting rid of the Spinecore, then take out the defenseless buds later for exp.

Cryoa are the best early-game creations, though I tend to play as a solo character until I can train in Create Vlish from Rivergate Keep (Lifecrafter runs excluded, of course). The Vlish then become sweet, followed by Wingbolts and (if you're using canisters) Drayks. Kyshakks and all battle creations are pretty meh. Wingbolts are more essence-efficient than Gazers, and Ur-Drakons are generally more useful than Eyebeasts.