Northern Isle Game 8

Marlenny

Originally Posted By: wz. As
Yeah, sorry Sleeping Dragon. You made it clear you wanted to win whether or not I survived, and I couldn't quite trust you. Had you just handed over that holy symbol, all could have turned out well tongue

Good job DLs! That was really well done.

She was secretly plotting with us to kill you, anyways.

Originally Posted By: Sporefrog
I mean you can call me a jerk, and maybe it's just pent up aggression after that last game, but I was fully intending to Rod of Alacrity the blademaster into your face. It's your first game, you aren't allowed to win yet! tongue

Great job moderating Marlenny.

I want to know how Duck died, haha. And who was responsible for killing gladwell? I was about to do it to avenge Sleeping Dragon.

Really? No fair! She wanted to kill me, I had to do it! You would have won anyway! Oh well, I thought it was a fun game regardless.

EDIT: Nioca, I don't think you actually did too much damage. Duck, my heart goes out to you, my one true loyal servant. frown

EDIT 2: Never mind, I see you were going to betray me too. Man, doesn't anyone like me?

Originally Posted By: wz. As

Good job DLs! That was really well done.

This. The DLs did excellent. From contacting each other on day 1 (Mage was smart enough to not start conversation with anyone and wait until the Domont contacted him), to that beautiful piece they played on Thuryl (making Thuryl/dionicio believe that the Domont was the Anama Priest), to getting the Machrone to convince them that he was indeed the Machrone. Best combo play I've seen in a while.

Edit: The log will be posted in a few minutes, just taking care of the irrelevant bits.

Who ended up killing w-dueck? I made a pact with Rowen last night that I would betray gladwell and keep Rowen alive, as long as he got rid of w-dueck or gladwell. I was worried deuck would've had a box of traps set up or something though.

Great game by Sarachim. I can't believe you posted a trade in the main thread on day 1 and still got people to trade with you!

About DLs: The domont really has to be on the ball. Since there's no secret word anymore, we figured each other out based on our mutual enemies list. Our random targets were only known by us, so once we both started listing off the same people, we knew we'd found each other. It was pretty scary when we both revealed our roles though. I could post the dialogue if anyone's interested.

Edited for spelling smile

About DLs: The domont really has to be on the ball. Since there's no secret word anymore, we figured each other out based on our mutual enemies list. Our random targets were only known by us, so once we both started listing off the same people, we knew we'd found each other. It was pretty scary when we both revealed our roles though. I could post the dialogue if anyone's interested.

We were fortunate enough to have Craftmaster Strine and Machrone as targets, since I could easily mention them in PMs without looking suspicious.

It's pretty funny, every single action I did either failed or I rescinded.

Purchase mystic symbol from the anama shop. Symbol has already been purchased.

Attack RCCCL. Rescind attack from RCCCL.

Curse Xelgion. Too late.

Haha all I did was give Excalibur 20 coins. Nothing else.

And thuryl, poor poor thuryl. Have you already figured it out? Excalibur and I were both DLs.

An Anama/DL alliance against Gladwell, with Micklebur betraying the Anama Priest after being resurrected by him. I have to admit, I didn't see that coming. I knew Excalibur was trying to kill Gladwell right from the start, but drew the wrong conclusion from that information!

Thoughts on this game: it seems like the main advantage the DLs have over any other alliance is that they can pretty much trust each other absolutely, since they all have identical win conditions. The main disadvantage they have is that they don't start out knowing each other. If the DLs manage to find each other early on, as they did in this game, they're at an enormous advantage.

DAY 1

Jul 26, 2009 8:19 PM: W-Dueck/CMS crafts a Wand of Death.

Jul 26, 2009 8:21 PM: Sarachim/Fae assumes identity of Sacred Item Cultist

Jul 26, 2009 8:26 PM: Rowen/Adv. buys Mystic Symbol from Mod shop and steals the Tinker’s Gloves.

Jul 26, 2009 8:47 PM: CMS crafts Ironskin Balm

Jul 26, 2009 9:25 PM: Sarachim/Fae kills Servant/Nioca (will die at 8:00PM: Monday) and gains 10 coins

July 26, 2009 10:10 PM: Sarachim/Fae kills Micklebur/Stareye(will die at 8:00PM: Monday) and gains 15 coins

Jul 26, 2009 10:58 PM: Wz As/Gladwell Switches immunity to physical.

July 27, 2009 12:01 AM: Sleeping Dragon/SIC targets the Ring of Magery and finds out that it’s in the hands of the Necromancer.

July 27, 2009 12:26 AM: SIC joins Gladwell.

July 27, 2009 12:29AM: Sporefrog/Mage gives Excalibur/Domont 20 coins

July 27, 2009 12:57AM: Domont hires assassin for 30 coins to attack CMS

July 27, 2009 12:57 AM: CMS uses an Ironskin Balm from his shop in self defense. Assassin’s attack fails, and CMS gains physical immunity until July 28 12:57 AM.

July 27, 2009 1: 44AM: Bound Servant does odds jobs for 10 coins.

July 27, 2009 1:51 AM: Bound Servant buys clover boots from Mod shop

July 27, 2009 2:18 AM: Machrone/RCCCL answers a question and gains 5 coins

July 27, 2009 2:33AM: Moderator answers yes to Machrone’s question: Is Machrone a random target of the DLs?

July 27, 2009 8:26AM: Stareye/Micklebur investigates Bound Servant and finds out that he is a servant of Gladwell.

July 27, 2009 11:50AM: CMS gives the Holy Symbol to the SIC.

Jul 27, 2009 7:12 PM: *i gives Xelgion/Priest the Fury Crossbow

July 27, 2009 7:55 PM: Shanker/Andraste gives herself Protected status

DAY 2

July 27, 2009 8:00PM: Blademaster/Omlette attacks Dionicio/Thuryl, Dionicio dies

July 27, 2009 8:00PM: Micklebur and Bound Servant die to the Fae

July 27, 2009 8:50PM: Adventurer places Box of Traps around Fae’s house.

July 27, 2009 9:24 PM: Fae kills Nikki/Necromancer and obtains his inventory (Ring of Magery, Disruption Crystal)

July 27, 2009 9:41PM: Anama Priest resurrects Micklebur.

July 27, 2009 10:25PM: SIC gives Shanker 10 coins

July 27, 2009 10:30PM: Machrone sells Razordisk to the Mod shop for 10 coins

July 27, 2009 10:44PM: Anama Priest gives Fury Crossbow to Micklebur

July 27, 2009 10:51PM: Fae gives 25 coins to Micklebur

July 27, 2009 11:36PM: Skribanne Addict/Duck joins Gladwell

July 28, 2009 12:02AM: Gladwell compels Addict to attack SIC, SIC dies and Addict obtains Holy Symbol and Flaming Sword

July 28, 2009 12:03 AM: Wdueck trades wand of death to *i for 25 coins and the Fury Crossbow

July 28, 2009 12:10AM: Skribbane addict gives Gladwell Holy Symbol + Flaming sword

July 28, 2009 12: 16AM: Gladwell gives 20 coins to Shanker

July 28, 2009 12: 39AM: Fae Joins the Anama.

July 28, 2009 12: 39AM: Fae uses Disruption Crystal on Gladwell

July 28, 2009 12:40AM: Shanker trades skribbane to Addict for 15 coins..

Jul 28, 2009 1:1 5 AM: Domont kills Machrone

Jul 28, 2009 1:16 AM: Shanker uses Crystal Spire on the Ring of Magery.

July 28th 1:55AM: Gladwell uses Holy Symbol.

July 28th 8:26AM: Micklebur uses Wand of Death, kills Gladwell.

July 28, 2009 2:50AM: Fae purchases skribbane from Anama shop

July 28, 2009 4:47AM: Omlette gives Shanker 10 coins.

Jul 28, 2009 11:11 AM: CMS crafts a Vulnerability Scroll

DAY 3

July 28th 8:00PM: Blademaster atacks Anama Priest, Priest dies

July 28th 8:00PM: Addict dies from lack of skribbane

July 28th 8:26PM: Rowen kills Craftmaster Strine and gets Fury Crossbow and Vulnerability Scroll

A lesson I've learned on general strategy: Just because you're part of an alliance that has a 100% chance of winning if everyone carries out the plan, doesn't mean that people in the alliance won't stab you in the back in order to meet the goals of their other, secret alliance.

i.e. there can be two different alliances with non-empty intersection such that either of the two alliances can win, and the key is to make sure you're in the right one.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Thoughts on this game: it seems like the main advantage the DLs have over any other alliance is that they can pretty much trust each other absolutely, since they all have identical win conditions.

This definitely helps. Almost all of my other alliances have involved unexpected betrayal.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Thoughts on this game: it seems like the main advantage the DLs have over any other alliance is that they can pretty much trust each other absolutely, since they all have identical win conditions.

This definitely helps. Almost all of my other alliances have involved unexpected betrayal.

There was no betrayal from me last game! Andraste on the other hand...

If it makes you feel any better, Wz.As, I originally suggested to the DLs that we betray Shanker, since I really did feel some loyalty to you. They made it clear that they would not betray her, and only then did we discuss betraying you instead of her (there were simply too many goals to accomplish between the lot of us). I told Stareye who you were (so really I avenged myself wink ) by telling him I was Dionicio and that you were trying to kill me. I had no idea you really were trying to kill me, though, nice blindside. Had you somehow survived everything, I would have given you the artifacts gladly, but I wanted to keep the Holy Symbol in case you did die (it was likely you would have whether I betrayed you or not) so I could get rid of the geas, also because it was one of the items I needed for my victory.

A brief summary of Alliances:

I joined Gladwell.

Darksiders work with Shanker (I think because one of them was friends with Andraste?).

Darksiders discover who I am and we work out an Alliance between them and Gladwell.

The Darkside/Gladwell Alliance breifly considers a grand Alliance with the Anama, but then decides that would be crazy.

Realizing there are too many goals to accomplish, the Alliance decides to betray Gladwell. frown

Darksiders work with Micklebur since... well... why not?

Apologies to Thuryl and RCCCL. I didn't want to betray you guys, but you were on people's lists and I turned out not to be. frown

Originally Posted By: *i
I was indeed loyal to Xelgion. He died and after that, there was no further choice but to cooperate with everyone else.

I think he always gets the short end of the stick. Like the last time I played, I ripped him apart with my bare hands after he gave me free Skribbane.

So everyone know what I did in the game. I contacted Sarachim and refused to trade with him but gave him all the information I had on how Gladwell was trying to recruit me. Then WZ. AS tells me that I have to join Gladwell or die. Sporefrog contacted me and told me that Gladwell was WZ. AS so I sent a PM to *i (he was resurrected so I knew he was Mick) telling him who Gladwell is and that Gladwell wants me dead and that if I live I can help him win. I then attack W-Dueck and Sarachim gave me the Ring of Magery so I could win with everyone else.

If WZ. AS had not been all ultimatum about joining Gladwell I might have considered it. After having played as Anama Priest I know that the worst way to make allies is to threaten to kill them.

This was a really fun. And props to Mar for doing a steller job as a Mod.

Originally Posted By: Goodbye World
Originally Posted By: *i
I was indeed loyal to Xelgion. He died and after that, there was no further choice but to cooperate with everyone else.

I think he always gets the short end of the stick. Like the last time I played, I ripped him apart with my bare hands after he gave me free Skribbane.

I always die right before I win... Its actually kinda funny. *i was a brilliant ally. I could not of thought for a better person as the Micklebur.

Rowen: perhaps I could have handled it better, but different people respond differently. Next game I'll know how to approach you smile

But I think my downfall was more that my supposed allies were already predisposed against me. Of course, the DLs played very well and could choose whichever allies they wanted. It just seems like the path of least resistance for them would not be to betray Gladwell in an alliance they know will work.

Was there a particular strategic reason that I was overlooking, Sporefrog? I thought I was closing off reasons to betray me by killing SD, and assumed that retribution would not be worth risking an alliance over.

Or maybe the seeds of my destruction were sown before SD died?

Personally, there was no strategic reason. I just thought you were being a jerk and liked Sleeping Dragon more. Someone had to die, and I was bound by andraste's early help not to backstab her, and between you and sleeping dragon I preferred SD.

We're the darkside, since when are we supposed to be nice allies? Both sleeping dragon and the blademaster were on shanker's list to keep alive.

wz. As: We knew that keeping you alive would mean killing Andraste, Rowen and Sleeping Dragon. Sleeping Dragon was our initial contact in your alliance, Andraste as Shanker had far more to offer us than you did, and Rowen would never hurt anyone (apart from w-dueck, who we wanted to hurt). We'd already promised SD that we'd get her a victory even if it meant killing you, and then I started the whole play-acting thing to pull you in to our alliance. For me killing you was a matter of loyalties: you had no business killing SD, so you were no longer a trustworthy ally and needed to go.

Thuryl: ha ha ha.

As regards the DLs, I was 99% sure of Excalibur's identity just from his first post to me:

Quote:
Hi Omlette. Would you happen to know who Machrone is this game? It would be to my benefit to ally myself with him, as I'm a role that needs a great deal of information.

I think the DLs need a bit of luck to all be online at the same time to even talk to each other, but beyond that it seems fairly easy to get in contact. The problem is doing a convincing job of pretending to be someone else when you have no means of proving it.

One thing which had a large effect on the game was the two substitutions: in particular I think Xelgion's late arrival made things difficult for the Anama, and Nikki's late arrival meant I managed to convince 5 or 6 people that I was the Necromancer which might not otherwise have been possible. I know there's no way to avoid that, but it certainly makes life much harder for certain players, especially when the game moves as fast as this one did.

-E-

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I only thought you were Fae because Thuryl told me so.

My logic was as follows: he was drawing attention to himself early on by telling everyone he was the Adventurer. This meant that he was probably a role that benefited by drawing attention to itself. I asked him if he was the Fae and he said no. Fae is a very good, safe fake roleclaim, since it has no enemies, can help almost anybody, and is harmless once you know its identity. So the only reason for someone to deny being the Fae is if they actually are the Fae, if they need you to join them (Gladwell or Anama Priest), or if they need you to trade with them.

I worked out that Sarachim was probably the Fae shortly before dying, but that didn't help anyone much at that point.

Personally, there was no strategic reason. I just thought you were being a jerk and liked Sleeping Dragon more. Someone had to die, and I was bound by andraste's early help not to backstab her, and between you and sleeping dragon I preferred SD.

We're the darkside, since when are we supposed to be nice allies? Both sleeping dragon and the blademaster were on shanker's list to keep alive.
I'm not taking this game personally, and I'm not upset people betrayed me. I'm asking so that I can play better next time, and figure out how others play. So, I guess your answer helps. Thanks.
Originally Posted By: Omlette
wz. As: We knew that keeping you alive would mean killing Andraste, Rowen and Sleeping Dragon. Sleeping Dragon was our initial contact in your alliance, Andraste as Shanker had far more to offer us than you did, and Rowen would never hurt anyone (apart from w-dueck, who we wanted to hurt). We'd already promised SD that we'd get her a victory even if it meant killing you, and then I started the whole play-acting thing to pull you in to our alliance. For me killing you was a matter of loyalties: you had no business killing SD, so you were no longer a trustworthy ally and needed to go.
That makes sense.

This game really isn't personal, even if it very much feels that way some times. Truth is, there are times when betraying someone is just the most logical decision, even if you really don't want to betray that person (in the case of Thuryl and RCCCL, I had to betray them to live frown ). You can play a perfect game and be really nice to people, but if it turns out you're on the wrong person's list or you victory doesn't quite match with everyone else's, you are expendable, and there is little you can do.

My character was not on anyone's list to kill (except Gladwell's, but I joined him) and my victory conditions didn't upset anyone else's, but I was still expendable, and I am glad the DLs determined I was useful enough to keep around, when really they didn't have to. Still, in the end, I couldn't please everyone, I guess. I'd say this game is about 50% strategy and 50% luck of the draw.

Excalibur had me fooled right up till the end, and Sleeping Dragon, I had no idea, kudos to you!

Wz. As, I wanted to work with you, but I had been told by Thuryl that you were working with the DLs, and when I started asking you about it, your responses(and lack there of) worried and alarmed me.