Contest: Second 24 Hour Scenario Contest

Lazarus.

I agree with Nikki's opinion on graphics; if a designer wants to make some specialized edits to a graphic, asking that he budget time for it seems fair.

I don't see any reason that a data script should be counted differently than any other script or content specific to the scenario. Writing definitions is not inherently more time consuming than any other aspect of the process, and I think it falls under the same basic rule: If you set out to do it in under 24 hours, then you need to make good choices about what you can get done in that time. It just seems like common sense that for a task like this one should mostly stick to the already available definitions and add a few more as needed, rather than trying to rewrite the entire selection of objects.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just about the last person to make rules for graphic creation; I don't think I've ever even done an edit on my own, and am sure as hell not going to be making anything from scratch for the contest. So I'm inclined to let you work on graphics beforehand. Actually, I'm inclined to allow anything in order to keep from cramping ES's style. Seriously, his [censored] rocks.

Originally Posted By: Master Ackrovan
....Of course I'm going to lose. Most definitly. I'm going against people who have actually released good scenario's and have far more experience designing a scenario. I suck. All this arrogance is just to stir up the competition a bit more.

The Last Archon

Wait, who's participating again?

Quote:
I'm sorry to disappoint you, Ackrovan, but I managed to escape the elaborate trap you set for me. Next time, try picking a ravenous monster I can't kill with both hands tied behind my back.

Darn it. That's it; I'm putting a Talking Cave Tree ( wink ) in my scenario. That's the only way I can recover from this failer.

The Great Archon

So, I open up my scenario to work on it again. I save it, than opened another scenario to get a graphic, and than saved the scenario I opened over the scenario I was trying to make.

So yeah, this ain't over Nikki. If you think I'll give up because of that, you have another thing coming.

The Great Archon

1) Why are you opening a scenario to get a graphic? The graphics are kept in the scenario folder, not inside the .bas file.

2) Why did you have two .bas files in the same folder (I assume that they must be in the same folder, because otherwise you'd see that the .bas file (even if they had the same names) was in a different folder to the one you want to be working on)?

Seeing as I have produced absolutely nothing for... *goes back to check* *thinks better of it* ...a while, I'm in. Thus far:

06/11/2009

* CLOCKED IN at 1:51 AM, CLOCKED OUT at 2:23 AM, for a total of 32 minutes.

* CLOCKED IN at 4:22 AM, CLOCKED OUT at 4:30 AM, for a total of 8 minutes. (It occurred to me that posting this might be a good idea at this point, plus I encountered spreadsheet trouble)

TIME USED THUSFAR: 40 Minutes (0.6 Hours)

Since my internet status will be somewhat shaky, and thus will have difficulty posting clock-in and clock-out, I'm keeping a running log on my computer. And I'm off to a good excellent absolutely awesome start thusfar!

So, without further ado, CLOCKING IN at 4:54 AM

As far as I'm aware, there was no agreement either way. If I'm too late, well, I'm still trying for a scenario under 24 hours.

Oh, And...

OUT 5:00 AM

IN 5:09 AM

OUT 5:30 AM

IN 6:35 AM

OUT 7:32 AM

IN 9:21 AM

OUT 10:03 AM

IN 10:30 AM

OUT 11:17 AM

So, aside from discovering I have the design method of an attention-deficit fruit fly, I now have 1227 minutes (20.45 hours) remaining.

I don't think you should clock out for fifteen minute breaks or the like, or even meals. In my opinion, clocking out shouldn't be done for anything people who do the contest 'the right way' have to put up with (meals, washroom breaks, showers, etc.). I think it's more along the lines of 'there's a family function the night I had planned for designing' or the like. But this is the honour system anyway, so it's ultimately your call (and I doubt scenarios will be rejected if they take twenty-five hours or so).

Yeah, I'm with Dintiradan. I lost a couple hours with eating, and speaking on the phone, and other stuff, but I only actually clocked out twice - one at the end of my first day (because I needed to go to an appointment in the morning after I started designing, and didn't fancy going without sleep) and then right at the end. Frankly, clocking in and out after 30 minutes is a bit extreme, and if I wanted to be pissy I'd argue that it's not really fair - when I felt my attention slipping I didn't clock out and go for a coffee. I had to sit and make myself write code because I knew I had a time limit.

Maybe its too late to change it this time, but I think if we ever do this again a hard limit needs to be imposed. Say, you're allowed to clock out a maximum of 4 times, or you may clock in and out whenever you like, but once you have started you have a two-day window in which to fit the 24 hours in.

Coming at it from a different (less sleep-deprived) perspective, that does sound better. *smacks self upside the head*

Anyway, I'll self-impose those limits. They sound like a fair idea, and I'm all for fairness here. So:

Session 1 - 1:51 AM to 2:23 AM (32 Minutes, leaving 23.46 hours)

Session 2 - 4:22 AM to 11:17 AM (6 Hours 55 Minutes, leaving 16.55 hours)

• 1 month later...