Newbie with questions

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic
Gavindale Marchovia Gavindale Marchovia

Citizen

• Member ID: 18,655
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:21 PM #36 Newbie with questions

A few things - first, is it true that eventually the player can play all the Hands at one time? Also, is it true that if the party is high enough in level for the lockpicking skill, some chests/doors/etc can be opened without a lockpick - if the lock is low enough in difficulty level. Also is it true that the game came be finished without completing all of the quests?

Agitproprioception Agitproprioception

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:22 PM #37 Newbie with questions

1) Technically, yes, but only for one (big) battle at the end.  For more than 99% of the game, your party size is 3.

2) Yes.

3) For sidequests, yes.  The main quests that advance the storyline all have to be completed.  (You have one of these at a time, and it generally appears at the top of your quest list.)
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Earth Empires Earth Empires

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,661
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:47 PM #38 Newbie with questions

game has 2 solomissions which are nasty or very nasty.

Citizen

• 44 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:47 AM #39 Newbie with questions

So, I understand that there are two Hand characters with the lock picking skill. With that, they lower the amount of lock picks needed when opening doors, chests, etc. I have increased the lock picking skill to the max (4 skill points) for both characters. Now, what is the ratio for skill vs lock picks? Does each skill point take the place of a lock pick?

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:59 AM #40 Newbie with questions

This link  shows how many lock picks are needed for skill level.  Only Avadon: The Black Fortress had an item to get to level 5.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Citizen

• 44 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:37 AM #41 Newbie with questions

Concerning lockpicks, I didn't know that multiple characters skill level don't stack. If I had known, I could have used the skill points more wisely. A part of me wants to start over, but I'm a ways into the game (I think, not sure exactly) that starting over might be a bit tedious.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:53 AM #42 Newbie with questions

There is a person near the middle of the game that can let you retrain the characters so you can fix that problem.
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Citizen

• 44 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:55 AM #43 Newbie with questions

Good to know, thanks for the heads up!

Heart of Avadon

• 4,211 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:19 PM #44 Newbie with questions

or if you need to do it earlier you can "cheat" and press shift-d and type retrain (select char you want to retrain and use "cheat").

Citizen

• 44 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:26 PM #45 Newbie with questions

Hey guys, a few things - I am trying to free Quennel from the Avadon dungeon, I was told by the Eye Dungeon guard (sorry, I don't remember his name off hand) – he said to consult Heat Callahan. My quest list shows that for the same quest, I need to talk to Febron in Avadon – where is he (Febron)? I have walked all around the city but can't find him. Second, I talked Abi about Tartam fencing weapons, I went through the Wench dungeons, and I went back to Abi to tell him what happened but the conversation choices keep going in circles. Lastly, there are three or four active quests in my quest book that I feel will turn out badly. Should I do them anyway?

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:50 PM #46 Newbie with questions

Doing quests is the best way to get better equipment.  Some quest require you to do things you don't want to do so it's up to you to decide.  A few times you can do the morally right choice and just lie about doing it.

Fabron is the upper level of Avadon where Redbeard sits.

Abi's quest requires going to the Kva outside of Avadon by portal.

Citizen

• 44 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:09 PM #47 Newbie with questions

In my exploits, I have collected these multicolored orbs, but don't know when to apply them to weapons, armor, etc. When is it a good time to start using the orbs?

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:15 PM #48 Newbie with questions

The best ones to use are for evading getting hit early in the game, then dexterity and endurance.  You find better ones later in the game for armor.

Avadon 1 was broken in evading getting hit.

Citizen

• 44 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:39 AM #49 Newbie with questions

Just out of curiosity, on the character skills page, there are percentages listed as armor, cold, fire, etc. - are these percentages out of 100%, or can they surpass 100%?

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,844 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:07 AM #50 Newbie with questions

Your resistances are capped at 90%, and it's pretty hard to get them even that high because of the way armour and resistances work (basically, you can think of all your sources of protection as a series of layers, each of which lets a percentage of damage through to the next, so there's always some damage that gets through to you in the end).

Citizen

• 44 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:34 AM #51 Newbie with questions

Is there some sort of strategy or guidelines I should follow with utilizing the upgrading orbs? I mean, like focusing more on weapons, or armor, etc?

Heart of Avadon

• 4,211 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:22 AM #52 Newbie with questions

you can use orbs on nearly all equipment so its just decision to have more protection (armors) and against what (acid, fire, elemental, magic, physical, etc) and more damage (mostly weapons) and what dmg (pretty much same as in protection case) and also increase critical chances (usefullness is debatable), only amount of orbs and 1 enchantment per item restricts.

Citizen

• 44 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:24 PM #53 Newbie with questions

Two more questions - first, I have come across two people in Avadon that can infuse orbs on equipment - in Castle Avadon and in Castle V. (I dont recall the exact name, sorry)   - does it matter whom I go to for infusing orbs into equipment? And is there a way to know what orbs are more powerful than others?

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,844 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:39 PM #54 Newbie with questions

View PostGavindale Marchovia, on 08 December 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

Two more questions - first, I have come across two people in Avadon that can infuse orbs on equipment - in Castle Avadon and in Castle V. (I dont recall the exact name, sorry)   - does it matter whom I go to for infusing orbs into equipment?

No.

And is there a way to know what orbs are more powerful than others?

Golden Crystals are always good for anybody and should be saved for equipment you expect to keep around for a long time. Dexterity and evasion bonuses are good for Dexterity-based characters in Avadon 1, but they're not as good in the sequels. Most other enhancements are filler.

Fael Fael

Watcher

• Member ID: 5,439
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:20 PM #55 Newbie with questions

View PostLilith, on 08 December 2016 - 02:39 PM, said:

Golden Crystals are always good for anybody and should be saved for equipment you expect to keep around for a long time. Dexterity and evasion bonuses are good for Dexterity-based characters in Avadon 1, but they're not as good in the sequels. Most other enhancements are filler.

I also like to give Int-boosting orbs to my spell casters.
Thanks, Jeff, for making the hidden switches visible in A:EftP!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users