• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic
Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:22 AM #36 Exile Remaster

Doesn't it mention a filename or any additional details? As long as there's a filename mentioned, you could theoretically fix it by opening the scenario with an unarchiver program. Or if it's an error in the dialog itself, it could theoretically be fixed by editing its XML definition in data/dialogs. I can't really help just from a line number, though.
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,311
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:34 PM #37 Exile Remaster

Scenario.XML, when searching line 971, all i see is <storage>, don't see any syntax errors.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:32 PM #38 Exile Remaster

If a storage tag is being referenced by the error, that could still mean quite a few things... a storage tag is only allowed inside the editor tag (though I doubt that would be the problem), and its children have specific types - most of the values need to be an integer, but is-property should be a boolean (ie, "true" or "false", without the quotes). The chance attribute on the item tag is also an integer. I'd be kinda surprised to see BoE writing invalid data, though... and did you even edit the item placement shortcuts? Is BoE giving nothing more than just "parse error"? If there's more that's a pain to copy down, you can use the Copy button in the error dialog to copy the full text to the clipboard, and if that still doesn't help, I guess you could send the scenario.xml for me to have a look?

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:45 PM #39 Exile Remaster

I'll try to do that, can I attach files to posts/PMs?

Finished VoDT (cheated via debug mode) to get into the School. Other bugs:

- Training in a level of Dexterity costs 503 gold per level, instead of 50.
- Special nodes diseasing the party don't work.
- Opening stone doesn't work in town 11 (Student Quarters)
- Steal Food ability doesn't work.
- Sometimes monsters from other towns pour into current towns. Specifically, when leaving Administration, Zombies/Ghouls showed up when the town doesn't have them, as did Talking Spiders (with town 9 personalities).

Some other notes (things I fixed in VoDT)

- Seems like other nodes become buggy when beginning with 'One-Time and Set', maybe it worked differently before, but should be eliminated as first node.

- Piercing Crystals are VERY weak, for a scenario where the party can't cast "Dispel Barrier", it's almost impossible to get past a Force Barrier. Ability strength is 1, maybe should be ~7.

- Alien beasts set to their E3 graphic.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:40 PM #40 Exile Remaster

This won't address any of the things you just posted, but... I have put up a new build for both Mac and Windows.

View PostBainIhrno, on 15 September 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

I'll try to do that, can I attach files to posts/PMs?
Uhh... not as far as I know? I suppose you could pastebin the file's contents (though pastebin is normally meant for partial stuff). You could also email me the file (no idea if you have my email though). (Actually, since you're a mod, maybe you have attachment priveleges? You could check the full posting page just in case.)

- Opening stone doesn't work in town 11 (Student Quarters)
- Sometimes monsters from other towns pour into current towns. Specifically, when leaving Administration, Zombies/Ghouls showed up when the town doesn't have them, as did Talking Spiders (with town 9 personalities).
These all seem like relatively easy things to fix (the first is probably just a typo). I'll work on them as soon as possible. (Hopefully the won't turn out to be harder than anticipated.)

- Seems like other nodes become buggy when beginning with 'One-Time and Set', maybe it worked differently before, but should be eliminated as first node.
This should probably be fixed in the engine rather than in the scenario. Is it possible to get a list of particular cases you had problems with?

- Piercing Crystals are VERY weak, for a scenario where the party can't cast "Dispel Barrier", it's almost impossible to get past a Force Barrier. Ability strength is 1, maybe should be ~7.

- Alien beasts set to their E3 graphic.
Hmm, something to think about fixing in the bladbase as well, once I get around to converting it to .boes. Actually, once all the scenarios are converted to .boes, I plan to apply all bladbase fixes (and possibly ADoS's descriptions) to all four of them.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:08 PM #41 Exile Remaster

Already addressed these. They were about as easy as I predicted - simple minor logic errors (in fact, I'd say all but the last were probably typos).

I'll probably look at the opening stone / One-Shot issue(s) tomorrow.

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:43 PM #42 Exile Remaster

I do not have your email address and can't find it.

Anyway (one-shot errors):

1) Opening the school gates.
2) Gate special encounters in NE Valley.
3) Temple node in corner of outdoor 0x0

Two other errors I forgot:

1) Generic Lever node graphic is a cave wall.
2) On the "buy response, set flag" node, the "not enough gold" response never triggers even if you don't have enough. However, gold isn't taken and flag doesn't set, so merely a aesthetic error.

What I can think of for now.

The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,402 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:43 AM #43 Exile Remaster

I like not being the only tester! :D Thanks!
The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:57 PM #44 Exile Remaster

I wonder how many other people are still playing?

Anyone who's interested in seeing my thoughts on the Valley of Dying Things can read them here: http://bainscenarioa...is.blogspot.com. Know we have CSR, but would be interested in discussing the scenario itself through comments as well. Know i could just do reviews here, but thought I could organize better with a blog.

Of course, if I could get a Blades/Spiderweb themed background- would be good too.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:14 PM #45 Exile Remaster

As far as I know, no-one is really playing (or at least, anyone who is hasn't said anything) other than you and possibly ADoS. If you count the original, stable game, there might be a few others (I know one or two people on the forum didn't get the upgraded BoE mainly because it wasn't stable).

If I ever finish any of my scenarios, I wonder if anyone will even play them. I'll probably work on them anyway though. Eventually. (I especially want to finish the two-town one that uses a lot of the new features.)

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:05 PM #46 Exile Remaster

So, it looks like the parse error you got is fairly simple to fix in the engine (quick-fix for you would be to add something like <item chance="1">1</item> in the storage tag, I think). It's a matter of save and load disagreeing on whether you can have a storage shortcut with no items. I'm wondering though, couldn't you have posted the full error message like so?

There was an error loading the scenario. The details of the error are given below; you may be able to decompress the scenario package, fix the error, and repack it.

XML Parse Error: Required element item missing in element storage (file scenario.xml, line 971, column 9).

I added the Copy button specifically to make it easier for people to report error messages; does it not work for you?

Thaluikhain Thaluikhain

Shaman

• Member ID: 6,345
  • 302 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:06 AM #47 Exile Remaster

View PostCeltic Minstrel, on 16 September 2016 - 04:14 PM, said:

If I ever finish any of my scenarios, I wonder if anyone will even play them. I'll probably work on them anyway though. Eventually. (I especially want to finish the two-town one that uses a lot of the new features.)

Well, I'd start, but I tend to get fed up and quit easily when I get stuck and go replay old favourites.

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:57 AM #48 Exile Remaster

Okay, started playing A Small Rebellion - two bugs:

1) the 'look' feature doesn't work outdoors sometimes (true in VoDT, forgot to mention it)
2) Started out with a bunch of special items I shouldn't have - believe that special items I received in VoDT pour into ASR (by their number - so, special item #4 in VoDT means I now have item #4 in ASR).

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:33 AM #49 Exile Remaster

#2 is easy to fix. I'll try to reproduce #1 as well, but it would be helpful if you can figure out something in common with the times it doesn't work.

(Just to be sure, did you update to the latest build?)

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:18 AM #50 Exile Remaster

Thought so, guess not. Some new bugs I found playing ASR:

1) The 'record' features in dialog and talking never work.

2) Some towns are set to leave at a different (X, Y) location through the Advanced Town Details. However, this relocation causes the game to crash - noticed this in the sewers and the icy tunnels.

3) Arrows don't poison (when using poison)

4) The SDF error I mentioned earlier sometimes applies to items - when reloading a game, items were taken away, but were no longer in the scenario. (I found a crossbow in Stalker's Fortress for example, reloaded to an earlier game, and didn't have the crossbow but the bow wasn't where I found it.)

5) The 'Simulacrum' spell keeps monsters even if reloading before spell cast. Monsters also appear to transfer to other scenarios (doesn't reset after end of scenario.)

6) Spell point costs on the second page of spells are listed wrong (correct amount still taken, however).

7) No particular pattern for what causes the 'look' ability to break outdoors.

FWIW, the link you posted earlier doesn't go to the most recent version. Just downloaded it now.

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:20 AM #51 Exile Remaster

Okay, the new version doesn't work at all. Load a saved game or create a new party, the whole thing crashes.

Anyway, some other errors:

1) Timers call the node twice in a row when the time hits.
2) When the party is invisible, it seems to make no difference. (It should make the party immune to archery and melee, but not spells)
3) My party is trapped in A Small Rebellion, literally. Trying to leave the scenario, even though I made it to the end, causes the game to crash, whether done by node, debug mode, or the Character Editor.

Will send you my saved game file if something may be wrong there.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:57 PM #52 Exile Remaster

View PostBainIhrno, on 24 September 2016 - 08:20 AM, said:

Okay, the new version doesn't work at all. Load a saved game or create a new party, the whole thing crashes.
Blargh! Do you get an error message or crash report? And for the ending issue, your saved game would probably be helpful.

So anyway, I haven't made much progress, but I did fix the issue with special nodes - when importing a legacy scenario, the code was converting all "One-Time Do Nothing" nodes to "One-Time And Set" due to a missing break.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:54 PM #53 Exile Remaster

View PostBainIhrno, on 15 September 2016 - 07:43 PM, said:

1) Generic Lever node graphic is a cave wall.
Uhh, okay, this is weird. The generic lever dialog is defined by the file data/dialogs/basic-lever.xml, which quite clearly states to use terrain graphic #13. I can't imagine why that would be - the lever terrain is #264, and the lever dialog pic is #9.

The question is: Should I change it to use dialog graphic #9, or the lever terrain graphic (#264 or #265)?

EDIT: For now I've gone with the former. It can always be changed later if people complain loudly enough.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:14 PM #54 Exile Remaster

View PostBainIhrno, on 15 September 2016 - 07:43 PM, said:

2) On the "buy response, set flag" node, the "not enough gold" response never triggers even if you don't have enough. However, gold isn't taken and flag doesn't set, so merely a aesthetic error.
From the code I can't see why this would happen, so it's possible I already fixed it. If you happen to remember a specific place where the "buy response, set flag" node is used, that would help me to verify.
(I'm assuming you mean the talking node here.)

View PostBainIhrno, on 20 September 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

4) The SDF error I mentioned earlier sometimes applies to items - when reloading a game, items were taken away, but were no longer in the scenario. (I found a crossbow in Stalker's Fortress for example, reloaded to an earlier game, and didn't have the crossbow but the bow wasn't where I found it.)

5) The 'Simulacrum' spell keeps monsters even if reloading before spell cast. Monsters also appear to transfer to other scenarios (doesn't reset after end of scenario.)
These two are probably fixed by the overhaul to save files in the latest version (which apparently you can't run) - they're data not being cleared correctly when a saved game is loaded, but in the latest version, I no longer just reuse the existing "universe" and overwrite the data that was saved; instead I construct a new default universe (which would have no "item taken" flags and no Soul Crystal monsters) and then fill it with what's in the save file.

As such, I'd like to resolve the issue that makes the latest version unusable for you before trying to pursue something that, in all likelihood, is no longer a problem.

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:42 PM #55 Exile Remaster

Thanks.

Once we get that fixed, would like to point out a few errors. While I'm waiting on the "end scenario" fix to play Za-Khazi Run, I've started Adventurer's Club 1 with a new party. What I've noticed so far:

- Items that have custom graphics show up blank if they are in shops.

- Towns that do not have their boundaries drawn in a square have redrawn themselves - e.g. if it is 28x30, it becomes 30x28, and moves the party out of town when it shouldn't.

- Custom graphics don't automatically translate into the new format in custom scenarios. May have to be fixed manually - in AC1, had to make the background transparent (so white backgrounds didn't show up), and graphics have to be input to the correct numbers.

- This isn't a problem that's new, but still worth noting that Mac/PC used different shades of terrain, making custom graphics look out of line with the rest of the graphics.

- Also in the scenario editor (working on my own scenario), the shop talking node says "non-existent shop" whenever I try to input a shop, even though I already created the shop.

- Another ASR bug - the "if in boat" call causes the special node not to happen altogether, whether in a boat or not.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:42 PM #56 Exile Remaster

I've fixed a number of other bugs that you mentioned (and one or two that I noticed while investigating them).

Some bugs I haven't yet gotten to or was unable to reproduce:

• I tested the Relocate Outdoors node in Valley of Dying things, in the connecting tunnel between the surface and the school, and there were no issues. I'm not sure where things are in A Small Rebellion, so it's harder for me to try it in the sewers or icy tunnels, but I'll probably get around to it eventually. (Possibly sooner if given coordinates or instructions on getting there with debug mode.)
  • When I tested poisoning arrows it seemed to work just fine.
  • I haven't looked at the crash on leaving A Small Rebellion mainly because I thought you intended to send your save file for that purpose.
  • I haven't looked into the double timer issue. It would help if I knew where I could find a timer to test it.
  • I haven't looked into the crash you mentioned in the latest version because you've given me no info with which I can attempt to track it down. All you said was that it crashed - no error message (from BoE's error dialogs), no crash report (from clicking the Report button in OSX's "application crashed" dialog), no instructions to reproduce. I can't fix something if I haven't even the slightest clue what I'm looking for.

View PostBainIhrno, on 27 September 2016 - 12:42 PM, said:

- Custom graphics don't automatically translate into the new format in custom scenarios. May have to be fixed manually - in AC1, had to make the background transparent (so white backgrounds didn't show up), and graphics have to be input to the correct numbers.
I do have code in there to force white to transparent in legacy graphics, not sure why that would be failing. What's AC1? I should probably test it out in the same scenario that you saw it in.

- This isn't a problem that's new, but still worth noting that Mac/PC used different shades of terrain, making custom graphics look out of line with the rest of the graphics.
This is actually extremely difficult to solve. I do want to have some sort of solution that dynamically adjusts the built-in graphics to match whichever brightness a scenario uses (or even adjusts the scenario graphics to match whatever the user prefers), but the adjustment does not appear to be anything simple. If someone could show me a set of adjustments that creates the standard Windows shades from the current built-in graphics, perhaps I could figure out how to code it, but at the moment I don't even know where to start.

- Towns that do not have their boundaries drawn in a square have redrawn themselves - e.g. if it is 28x30, it becomes 30x28, and moves the party out of town when it shouldn't.
This might actually be nontrivial to fix since Windows and Mac scenarios stored these rectangles in incompatible ways, and the advent of Intel Macs complicates the process of detecting whether a scenario is Windows or Mac (hopefully very few legacy scenarios were actually saved on an Intel Mac). I can see if there's a fix for this, but if you come across the problem in any of the four included scenarios, it would be great to have a list of the problem towns and the correct rectangle for each.

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:25 PM #57 Exile Remaster

1) The "relocate outdoors" special node isn't the problem. It's when one goes into "Advanced Town Details" and uses exit coordinates.

2) A timer can be found in Town #20, A Small Rebellion.

3) AC1 = Adventurer's Club 1: The Presence, by Shyguy.

4) Sorry, keep forgetting the .sav file. I often use a different computer for BoE and for internet, so I have to transfer my .sav file via flash drive, which I keep forgetting.

5) The best I can think of is adjusting graphic tones, and creating mac/PC versions of the scenarios, but I don't really know how to do that. We'll need to find someone who does.

6) A new bug I found - special nodes don't happen if they are called on the "exit town special node" feature in Advanced Town Details.

7) In the new version:
a) if I attempt to create a new party, once I finish designing the party and click "done" the game quits and gives an error message.
B) this also happens if I load a saved game.

Heart of Avadon

• 4,402 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:26 PM #58 Exile Remaster

Why can't we do what we were doing before and just have a toggle in Preferences to switch-in the Windows graphics if they're needed for a given legacy scenario? I really can't think of any better way of doing it.
The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:20 PM #59 Exile Remaster

View PostBainIhrno, on 30 September 2016 - 01:25 PM, said:

1) The "relocate outdoors" special node isn't the problem. It's when one goes into "Advanced Town Details" and uses exit coordinates.

6) A new bug I found - special nodes don't happen if they are called on the "exit town special node" feature in Advanced Town Details.
Ahhh. I don't suppose you happen to know a specific place where these two features are used? I could probably set up a custom scenario for it if I have to though.

5) The best I can think of is adjusting graphic tones, and creating mac/PC versions of the scenarios, but I don't really know how to do that. We'll need to find someone who does.
I don't like an option that requires having separate Mac/Windows versions of the scenarios. My preferred way would be to dynamically adjust graphics on the fly so that they match, but as mentioned above, I don't know how to do that.

7) In the new version:
a) if I attempt to create a new party, once I finish designing the party and click "done" the game quits and gives an error message.
B) this also happens if I load a saved game.
Hmm, can it be linked to any specific aspect of the party? Does it happen if you just accept the preset party without editing? Does the party have a vahnatai, Anama, or pacifist, and if so, does removing that fix it?

I'll note that I use the preset party for most of my testing (usually bypassing the create party dialog by alt-clicking the Start Scenario button). So if it's not system-specific and not directly linked to the creation dialog I probably would've already noticed this... which means it's probably at least one of the two (hopefully the latter).

View PostThe Almighty Doer of Stuff, on 30 September 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

Why can't we do what we were doing before and just have a toggle in Preferences to switch-in the Windows graphics if they're needed for a given legacy scenario? I really can't think of any better way of doing it.
Well, this is indeed an option, though I'm not sure it's possible to reliably determine which graphics are required in all cases. (It should be possible at least for legacy scenarios, though. I think. Maybe.)

Heart of Avadon

• 4,402 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:48 AM #60 Exile Remaster

It would only be relevant for legacy scenarios anyway. But I just meant to simply go to Preferences and tick a box when you're playing a scenario and find the graphics don't match.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:31 AM #61 Exile Remaster

A new build for Windows and Mac.

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 05:58 AM #62 Exile Remaster

For the crashing, I don't think any new party works. Worth noting I've tested the Anama feature and it has no effect and doesn't register.

For #6 in my previous post, see town #22 in Adventurer's Club 1.

DesertPlah DesertPlah

Blademaster

• Member ID: 1,221
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:45 AM #63 Exile Remaster

I will play this game again someday.  Looking at a few years of prison at the moment, and my PC died...again.

Anyway, I was a Spidweb fan before BoE, and it irks me that he (Jeff) seems to hate BoE anymore, but I at least understand it from a professional standpoint.  That's energy spent that je doesn't get money for and isn't likely to get many people interested.
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others? In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss; You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow; I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me, One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:21 PM #64 Exile Remaster

I'm hoping once everything is finished and we have a practically bug-free OBoE, we can start a comprehensive website for it, maybe it could bring a few more people in.

Fenix Wulfheart Fenix Wulfheart

New Arrival

• Member ID: 18,695
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:28 PM #65 Exile Remaster

Is there where I put this? I tried out your BoE build, the newest one posted "2016-10-16 15:55" for Windows and encountered a minor bug. I cannot click the buttons to open any menus are interfaces, I can only use them with kotkeys. I had to press M to cast mage spells, had to press t to talk, etc.

I really like the conversation mechanism, by the way. The text that can be clicked is highlighted in different color and it eases the worries I always had a bit of, worry that I was missing important things.

I also had a bit of a curiosity. Would it be possible at some point to load up the other Exile games into the Scenario format in order to make the unified game engine for the use in all official Exile works? I'd like to have characters from one Exile game go straight into another XD. In particular I always felt that the heroes of Crystal Souls would probably be given the honor of being the Surface Explorers.

Of course, since Exile 1 uses different spells and stuff that would be harder to do, and all of them had a bunch of little tweaks and stuff. Still, its a thought!

I'm also curious if the engine will allow for the addition of spells, abilities, items, etc. I got the impression it won't, but you never know.

New Arrival

• 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:06 PM #66 Exile Remaster

Clarification: The bug is not so minor. I also cannot end combat once I have started it in town mode!

Heart of Avadon

• 4,402 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:25 AM #67 Exile Remaster

Did you press E for End? (Always bugged me, I think it would be easier if starting and ending combat were the same key, but it's not, for now.) Did you try clicking the End button?

New Arrival

• 7 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:01 AM #68 Exile Remaster

View PostThe Almighty Doer of Stuff, on 07 November 2016 - 06:25 AM, said:

Did you press E for End? (Always bugged me, I think it would be easier if starting and ending combat were the same key, but it's not, for now.) Did you try clicking the End button?

Yeah, I tried E. I didn't try any other keys beside E and F, and the button did not work. None of the toolbar buttons were working at all, I had to play with hotkeys. The mouse could be used for anything above the button-toolbar, but not for the toolbar itself.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:02 PM #69 Exile Remaster

View PostFenix Wulfheart, on 06 November 2016 - 12:28 PM, said:

I also had a bit of a curiosity. Would it be possible at some point to load up the other Exile games into the Scenario format in order to make the unified game engine for the use in all official Exile works?
I believe Exile III could probably be ported to the OBoE engine without too much work. One forum member (Ishad Nha) has partially done this already (specifically, porting the terrain so you can set BoE scenarios in the same settings), and I think he could probably finish it if asked; the main reason he didn't wasn't technical issues if I recall correctly.

I'd like to have characters from one Exile game go straight into another XD. In particular I always felt that the heroes of Crystal Souls would probably be given the honor of being the Surface Explorers.
I think that won't really work. Each of the Exile trilogy is balanced with a first-level starting party in mind; treating them as a BoE scenario that you can transfer parties between would destroy that balance.

Of course, since Exile 1 uses different spells and stuff that would be harder to do, and all of them had a bunch of little tweaks and stuff. Still, its a thought!
I think most of Exile I's spells are in E3 too, though I seem to recall a "Recharge" spell for wands that has no equivalent in later games.

I'm also curious if the engine will allow for the addition of spells, abilities, items, etc. I got the impression it won't, but you never know.
The engine allows for the addition of items, at least. It doesn't allow for the addition of spells, except of course by implementing them in C++, which I already did for a couple new ones (usable by items only though). Customizing the spell lists would take quite some work as well, as it's basically hard-coded now.

Now before you get too excited about the idea of remaking the Exile trilogy in OBoE, the main limiting factor is that it would need permission from Jeff. For the record, I also like the idea, but not enough to take the time to ask his permission. Another thing I'd like is backporting ... what was it, "Diplomacy with the Dead" I think? ...from BoA to BoE. But again, that requires his permission (unless he releases BoA's source under the same terms as BoE's).

Thaluikhain Thaluikhain

Shaman

• Member ID: 6,345
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:04 AM #70 Exile Remaster

View PostCeltic Minstrel, on 09 November 2016 - 05:02 PM, said:

I believe Exile III could probably be ported to the OBoE engine without too much work. One forum member (Ishad Nha) has partially done this already (specifically, porting the terrain so you can set BoE scenarios in the same settings), and I think he could probably finish it if asked; the main reason he didn't wasn't technical issues if I recall correctly.

Really?  There'd been discussion of that sort of thing in the past, and usually dismissed as too much work, though I think it was usually assumed to be a scratch built BoE scenario.

In any case, even forgoing E3, it'd allow people to take E3 towns and put them in BoE scenarios.  Some towns from E3 got made into a BoE format, but not many IIRC.

Though...tbh, that might have been exciting a few years back, but nowdays interest in BoE seems to have waned.  Being able to play E3 again without mucking round for compatibility would be quite nice, though.

EDIT:  Not meaning that as a slight on the hard work done by devoted, fans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users