Exile Remaster

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic
Old Beardo Old Beardo

New Arrival

• Member ID: 17,009
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:57 AM #1 Exile Remaster

So am I correctly understanding that you magnificent fellows are working on re-configuring BoE to run properly on newer machine and thus not require a VM to run?

If so, are you also doing the scenario editor? And will scenarios created on the old version be able to be converted to the new format (mostly intact) or will it be a clean slate style thing?

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:28 PM #2 Exile Remaster

This version of CBoE works fairly well on newer versions of Windows. (If you want to install it outside your user folder, such as the default Program Files directory, you will need to run the installer as an administrator. It includes the scenario editor and runs classic BoE scenarios.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:31 AM #3 Exile Remaster

View PostOld Beardo, on 02 August 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

If so, are you also doing the scenario editor? And will scenarios created on the old version be able to be converted to the new format (mostly intact) or will it be a clean slate style thing?
Yes, I'm doing the scenario editor. Scenarios from the old version can be converted to the new version, and scenarios that use new features in the version Tyran linked can also be converted to the new version, with the exception of the "Display Picture" special node which is too different in the new version to easily convert.

You can get experimental builds here. Note that there are more Windows builds simply because the only person who expressed significant interest was a Windows user - if you're a Mac user, just ask me and I'll make a new build.

I'm actually planning to upload a new Windows build in a couple of hours, so if you want the latest experimental build you might want to wait a bit.
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Old Beardo Old Beardo

New Arrival

• 7 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:23 PM #4 Exile Remaster

Is there a way to check a party's level in something besides mage/item lore during a special encounter? I am just seeing item and mage lore as options to compare values to.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:24 PM #5 Exile Remaster

Not in old versions, sorry (including Classic, I believe). In the updated version (which I linked above), you can do this, but the updated version is still pretty unstable.

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Old Beardo Old Beardo

New Arrival

• 7 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:47 PM #6 Exile Remaster

Yea I used the updated version for a bit. Really solid work getting everything put together but it is definitely unstable. Maybe one day we'll have a compatible remake of the game that is actually user-friendly instead of keeping you guessing about absolutely everything like the original? lol

Unbound Servile Unbound Servile

Citizen

• Member ID: 17,237
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:03 AM #7 Exile Remaster

Hey Celtic Minstrel, i'm a Mac-user and I'd love to play this remaster, can you make a Mac build?

Thanks alot.
"You were the chosen one! You were to destroy the Slith, not join them!" - Vogel Wan Kenobi

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:08 AM #8 Exile Remaster

I can, but at the moment I'm not sure how much you'd be able to play it (there are apparently two or three major bugs). Anyway, I should be able to get it up within an hour or so. (Maybe a lot sooner; I think I just did a full rebuild not too long ago.) It'll be at the same place as the Windows builds.

Citizen

• 33 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:13 AM #9 Exile Remaster

Hello again CM, thanks for taking the time to make that build.
But I can't get it to run, the program quits unexpectedly.
It seems that the debugger quits the program because of an unknown required load command (EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP))
I downloaded and tried all the BOE Mac builds I could find on your site but I encounter the same problem with them as well.
I'm using Mac OSX 10.5 (Intel).

EDIT: I found a version of BoE that runs on my Mac (yay!). Since my OS is prehistorical, I still have Rosetta (PPC emulator) so i downloaded the PPC version of BoE.
It works perfectly.
http://spiderwebforu...lades-of-exile/
I'll try the Intel builds on my other Mac.
"You were the chosen one! You were to destroy the Slith, not join them!" - Vogel Wan Kenobi

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:55 AM #10 Exile Remaster

I'm building on OSX 10.7, so I'm not sure if I can help much, but if you send me the crash report details I may be able to fix it. (Though if your other Mac is newer, and it works there, perhaps there's not much point in fixing it for 10.5.)

Citizen

• 33 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:29 AM #11 Exile Remaster

View PostCeltic Minstrel, on 10 August 2016 - 06:55 AM, said:

I'm building on OSX 10.7, so I'm not sure if I can help much, but if you send me the crash report details I may be able to fix it. (Though if your other Mac is newer, and it works there, perhaps there's not much point in fixing it for 10.5.)

The Boe Carbon version works as intended on OSX 10.5 and the other builds (whereunder your latest build) work fine on my newer Mac running 10.8.

Anyway, I can play BoE now so thanks alot for your time.

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:39 AM #12 Exile Remaster

For what it's worth, there really isn't a good reason to be running 10.5 on an Intel Mac. Every Intel Mac that can run 10.5 can also run 10.6, and many applications require 10.6.8 or later.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,311
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:56 PM #13 Exile Remaster

I downloaded the editor and am beginning a new scenario. Some questions and comments:

1. The "place monster" feature really slows down the computer, sometimes even causes the editor to quit.
2. Can't rename outdoor sections.
3. Is there any documentation of the editor? Not sure how some of the new features actually work.
4. Any chance of finding the Exile III descriptions of items? Maybe I could make an alternate bladbase with preset items with E3 descriptions.
5. How exactly was the 'sound' file unpacked, maybe I could switch out some sounds.

Thanks!

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:14 PM #14 Exile Remaster

Are you using Mac or Windows? Either way, you should be aware that some things are still broken. For example, saved games seem to not work correctly at the moment. Scenarios should be relatively safe though, since I have a suite of unit tests to ensure their integrity when loading and saving them (though it's not quite complete yet).

1. One of my commits awhile back fixed an issue that rendered the editor unusable, but had a major hit on performance. The reason is that instead of fixing the root cause, I rewrote the relevant code paths to avoid the issue. I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it properly yet, but it's something I'd like to do. I'm guessing this is what makes it slow, though I can't be sure.

2. Thanks for the report - I was unaware that the Outdoor Details dialog was broken. That looks like it should be easy to fix, so I'll probably have it done in a few minutes (though it could be awhile longer before I get around to making a fixed build, since there's one or two saved game bugs I want to resolve first).

3. There is documentation on Sylae's site, which I believe is linked in the forum header. I'm not sure when that was last updated, but I don't think there were any major changes recent enough to be missed from it. The documentation can also be found in the repository under docs/. It's mostly up-to-date on new features.

4. I have E3 and am able to extract the item descriptions, though the mapping from descriptions to items may not be entirely straightforward. On a related note, ADoS has also written descriptions for all the items in the bladbase (though I'm not entirely sure I agree with his tastes in all areas).

5. Sounds are now in data/sounds/ in the BoE root directory, as WAV files. A scenario can (at least theoretically) substitute individual sounds by including a file with the exact same name under its internal scenario/sounds/ directory (the scenario is a gzipped tarball). I think the scenario editor even has a dialog to add custom sounds, though it probably doesn't work for replacing default ones.

View PostTyranicus, on 10 August 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:

For what it's worth, there really isn't a good reason to be running 10.5 on an Intel Mac. Every Intel Mac that can run 10.5 can also run 10.6, and many applications require 10.6.8 or later.
However, that upgrade costs money, as far as I know.

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:54 PM #15 Exile Remaster

Thanks for the reply. The Outdoor Name works sometimes, but it should definitely be looked into. My question about the sounds is how they were converted from a Sound file to individual .WAV files. If I can get a list of descriptions, I could enter them manually (albeit it would be time consuming).

I'm on a Mac for reference, and my computer does tend to act up sometimes when not using Blades.

The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 12:24 PM #16 Exile Remaster

BTW, Spiderweb Software DID NOT make the Exile III item descriptions available to the Blades of Exile project; only the stuff included in the BoE package was granted to us. That's one reason I wrote alternate item descriptions. Another is that many scenarios do not take place in the Exile universe, and references to cave food and such would make no sense in them, so I made universe-independent descriptions (except for items intrinsically tied to Exile, like Vahnatai weapons). I like most of them, CM doesn't like some of them I guess, but either way they'd be easily changeable by anyone who didn't like them. Changing them to non-free content like the E3 descriptions is playing with fire.

If you want to have a look, I THINK this is it: http://www.almightyw...d/bladbase.boes
The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:06 PM #17 Exile Remaster

View PostBainIhrno, on 26 August 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

The Outdoor Name works sometimes, but it should definitely be looked into.
That's great to hear, as it supports my testing on the matter. The issue seems to have been a problem of uninitialized variables with garbage data. If you're able to compile yourself, you can pull from master whenever you want. Otherwise I'll have another build up eventually. After I fix saved games, probably. I'll make sure to make both Windows and Mac builds from now on.

My question about the sounds is how they were converted from a Sound file to individual .WAV files.
For the most part, those are original sound files from the Windows version, so if they were ever directly converted from the Mac 'snd ' resources, only Jeff would know how that was done. I did write a Python script that was able to convert most of the Mac sounds to WAV, but only a few sounds were actually re-extracted with it. (Actually I extracted most of them, and the script didn't work for a few of them as I recall, but most of them didn't seem to have any reduced quality relative to the WAV version, so I didn't commit them.) The original sounds are still in the repo here, if you want to compare for yourself. You'll need a resource editor, of course. (But it's a data-fork resource file, so no need to worry about the fact that it's stored on a non-HFS+ filesystem.)

If I can get a list of descriptions, I could enter them manually (albeit it would be time consuming).
I'd love to use Jeff's descriptions, and I suspect ADoS would too (even though he wrote some of his own), but permission would be needed from him to do so. I do have the strings though, so I could send them to you. I'll get on that at some point.

Heart of Avadon

• 4,403 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:25 AM #18 Exile Remaster

I do love Jeff's descriptions; Jeff is one of my favorite writers, which is why I'm trying to update and improve Bandit Busywork. Most of the scenario sucks but for the writing itself, as far as I can see, even his throwaways are gold. But even if you could get permission (and you probably couldn't because he doesn't seem to want to be bothered with this project, reacting with annoyance when we pester him, if he reacts at all) I'd still be picky. Like I said, many, if not most, E3 item descriptions are very "Exiley". I'm really not convinced it would be worth it.
The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:21 AM #19 Exile Remaster

Ah. Guess I haven't considered that JVs descriptions weren't granted for use. Thanks for the replies.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:42 PM #20 Exile Remaster

Given that this is "Blades of Exile", I don't really see how it's a problem for the descriptions to be "very Exiley". :p

Heart of Avadon

• 4,403 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:58 PM #21 Exile Remaster

It's a problem because many, if not most, of the most popular scenarios do not actually take place in the Ermarian universe at all. I prepared as many trilogy-neutral descriptions as I could in anticipation that, should activity ever pick up again, that trend will continue. I wrote the descriptions with the actual audience of the software in mind; not the literary roots of the program, which are great but often irrelevant and sometimes important to ignore, depending on what story you're telling.

Furthermore, depending on how much interest there is in the software once a stable release version is finished, there may possibly be many players and designers who had never even heard about Spidweb or Exile before finding this software, interested in making scenarios, but puzzled by all these references to games they've never played. It's GNU GPL 3.0 now, remember, so it really could go anywhere.

Pliant Giant Pliant Giant

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:40 PM #22 Exile Remaster

Even 3 of the 4 'official' scenarios Spiderweb released with the game, do not take place within Exile.*  It does not make sense to have item descriptions that are written for an isolated underworld civilization, when you are in, say, a surface metropolis.

Technically, most of the 4th one doesn't either, although it is at least underground in caves connected to Exile.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:52 PM #23 Exile Remaster

Okay, playing BoE again, starting with Valley of Dying Things. Some gameplay observations:

- The "Anama Member" trait doesn't work - I've made one PC Anama, but the player isn't registering that way, whether from the Character Editor or the Create New Party.

- The "Go Back" button doesn't work.

- As already stated, "Save" doesn't always work, have to use "Save As" for now.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:22 PM #24 Exile Remaster

View PostBainIhrno, on 07 September 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

- The "Anama Member" trait doesn't work - I've made one PC Anama, but the player isn't registering that way, whether from the Character Editor or the Create New Party.
I'm a bit confused - are you saying it doesn't work at all (ie, the player can learn/cast mage spells), or that it simply isn't shown?

- The "Go Back" button doesn't work.
I remember fixing this awhile ago, but I guess it broke again. Sigh.

- As already stated, "Save" doesn't always work, have to use "Save As" for now.
Wait, does this mean that "Save As" correctly saves all your data? For example, not mysteriously losing spells you learned, or auto-healing you on load, or anything like that.

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:51 AM #25 Exile Remaster

The Anama Member doesn't show, haven't tried to use mage spells. As for the Save As, not sure, but I have noticed that SDFs don't reset when loading to an earlier version. For example, in VoDT, there's a special encounter with Hydras - died the first time, reloaded the game, but didn't get a second chance to fight the Hydras. Could be a huge problem w/ more important flags.

Also, the new editor seemed to undo all "hide town" settings. Some towns I know are supposed to be hidden in VoDT are visible - they were not set as visible in the editor now.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:24 AM #26 Exile Remaster

I get the impression that saved games are far more broken than I'd thought... and apparently you can't learn new spells for some reason... I'll look into these issues as soon as possible.

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:53 AM #27 Exile Remaster

I've also noticed some scenario bugs in VoDT, given that they didn't exist before, maybe something weird is going on. The Runed Stone won't open the gates of the School of Magery - looking at the editor, a "one-time and set" node is called with the same SDF before calling the dialog box, so the SDF sets before the gate can open with the stone. Don't know if the noding changed somehow, because this wasn't an issue when playing BoE before OBoE.

Heart of Avadon

• 4,403 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:06 PM #28 Exile Remaster

I recall seeing something in the handbook's walkthrough about a bug regarding the Runed Stone and the gates. I can't remember what it was though.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:55 PM #29 Exile Remaster

There have not yet been any changes to the original scenarios, so if something isn't working, it's either an original bug in the scenario or a bug in the engine.

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:44 PM #30 Exile Remaster

Well, the walkthrough (at least the one listed on CalRef) mentions nothing about a bug. Apparently, the scenario can't be edited to fix it - the editor edits the .boes files but the game seems to read the .exs files. Also mentioning that custom scenarios aren't read by the game at all.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:21 PM #31 Exile Remaster

If you edit Valley of Dying things and save it, you'll need to use the "Custom Scenario" button to run the edited version. Eventually (hopefully soon) the main "Start Scenario" will reference .boes instead of .exs, but I'm not quite confident yet in the losslessness of the conversion.

Also, custom scenarios are read from ~/Library/Application Support/Blades of Exile/Scenarios (for Mac), not from the Scenarios folder in the game directory.

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:24 PM #32 Exile Remaster

The "custom scenario" button doesn't read any scenarios in the "Blades of Exile Scenarios" folder.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:24 PM #33 Exile Remaster

Yes, that's intended. See the edit to my previous post. (It also recurses into subdirectories when looking for scenarios.)

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:28 PM #34 Exile Remaster

Got it.

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• 1,312 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:59 AM #35 Exile Remaster

Sorry, new problem - a modified VoDT produces an error (when clicking 'custom scenarios') says 'parse error, line 971 column 9).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users