Do You Feel Lucky?

Synergy

On Luck in G4...

If anyone has other Luck-revelant info, please contribute.

If you have around 5 Luck (by my experience) when you first start poking around in the Forsaken Lands, you will have a decent chance of scoring one or both of these items upon certain kills:

Thadskin Tunic (kill a Thad)

+10% armor/+2 strength/+1 dexterity

Fyoraskin Cloak (kill a Fyora)

+5% armor/+5% fire resistance

Both of these are great early armor, and the cloak is the best you will have until Chapter 3. It seems like the game only gears you to get one of these by Luck, though you can get one of these cloaks off a fyora in Dillame Fields eventually. Also, with higher luck, fyoras seem a bit more likely to drop a Fyora Scale (same for Drayks, etc.)

Maybe Slartucker will generate some actual statistics on what Luck does in this game. I try to have mine at 7-8 by the end of Chapter 2.

There is a +1 Luck Charm available early on (Lucky Dice), a boon of +1 to Luck by the mayor of Dillame if you have Leadership of 6 and flatter him, and late in the game, at least one more +1 Luck source...a canister in a bonus level, I believe.

Clover Boots add +3 Luck.

-S-

Synergy, I think some of those drops are unique drops and not random ones. That is, individual enemies can be made to "carry" items which will appear when they are killed. Luck will never create item drops, but it WILL increase the chance of random ones, presumably by 1% per point of Luck at least up to 10. Having just 5 Luck makes a really noticeable increase in the number of dropped items.

EDIT: I tend to put a lot of points into Luck right away (except when min-maxing vlish in g3). The first few levels are so cheap, it's a no-brainer. After that, it is worthwhile once your other skills get equally expensive, but I buy it sooner to increase my item drops.

Sure, I get the sense only certain enemies have the potential to be carrying something (not all Fyoras or Thads,) but they do not drop the tunic or cloak every time like a true carried item. Otherwise it would be consistent and predictable where to get the cloak or tunic.

So...what are you saying about how Luck is involved with dropping the two items I was describing?

-S-

I had luck of 2 (one from skill points and one from lucky charm). The thahdskin tunic I got twice the first few times and then never saw again until the Illya West Road where the patrol thahds dropped them. The fyoraskin cloak is the same way and I got them in Shardfied, Spireford, and Dillame Fields from fyoras.

Both items are nice if you can get them before better items come along.

I used the minimum luck of 3 with the Mayor in Dillame. I found that having more luck wasn't worth it.

Hmm, it appears Luck has little or nothing to do with it after all. I had Luck of 1 when I got both the Cloak (from the same Consumed Fyora who drops the Fyora Charm) and in the Abandoned Docks, I got a Thadskin tunic about the same time.

I played all of Chapter 1 with 0 and 1 Luck to no ill effect so far.

-S-

Luck does appear to help you avoid dying when getting an otherwise critical hit, I've noticed. When I used my character with high luck, there were many times I was boarderline on whether a shot should kill me and I was left with 1 HP. It could be a coincidence, but my other low luck PC didn't get such benefits as often.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone determined any other significant benefit of Luck besides surviving potentially lethal hits? I haven't noticed any special encounters based upon it or any boons granted based on it. I can't figure out why it would be worth investing points in it at all.

-S-

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent an hour replaying Shardfield from first entering the zone to get different drops. The fights with the artila and the thahds/fyoras after 7 tries gave once with an artila eye, once with a nice fur, once with an extra fyora scale, and the one I kept was a nice fur and a fyoraskin cloak. No thahd tunic in any of them which is what I wanted.

Forgot this was with luck at 1.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but in G3, in the Breeding Valley (Isle of Spears SE), there is a rotghroth to the NW that would only drop putrefied gauntlets (8 % Protection, -2 STR, -2 DEX, +20% Acid Resistance, +4 Spellcraft) if you had enough luck. The required amount of luck was somewhere between 4-9.