Sell, sell, sell?[G5]

I have several items I have yet to find a use for, most of which are very valuable. I need advise on whether or not to sell them.

Runed Ruby (2)

Runed Amethyst (3)

Wand of Terror

Wand of Weakness (2)

Wand of Slow Time

Discipline Wand

Swamp Boots

Shaped Breastplate

Charging Stone

Ivory Skull

Perfect Fyora Scale

Ethereal Seal

Flaming Sword (I would need a replacement; any suggestions?)

Which ones should I sell?

Runed Rubies and Runed Amethysts can be used with an anvil to enchant your equipment with fire resistance and acid resistance respectively (or to enchant a weapon with fire or acid damage). They're not the best blessing items, but you may as well put them on gear that you're not going to be wearing for the whole game anyway. Ivory Skulls increase your hit rate if put on armour or apply a curse if put on weapons; the weapon effect isn't bad, since there aren't many ways to inflict curses in G5. I forget what Charging Stones do.

Wands of Terror, Weakness and Slow Time are pretty good if you don't already know the Terror, Wrack and Essence Shackles spells. If you do, you can probably sell 'em.

A discipline wand is basically just a high-powered missile weapon with a few charges, and it only damages creations. If you have good Missile Weapons skill, you may as well use it against a tough boss.

The Shaped Breastplate is pretty good armour if you have enough strength to wear it, but you'll eventually find other stuff that's even better, so if you don't plan to wear it soon you should probably sell it.

Swamp Boots are like regular boots except they give a little bit of poison and acid resistance. There are better boots out there. Sell 'em if you're not wearing 'em.

Before you sell it, combine the Perfect Fyora Scale with a gold ring on an anvil to make a Shield Ring, which sells for more money than the scale and the gold ring put together.

The Ethereal Seal is a so-so ring. If you have a better ring, you can sell it.

If the Flaming Sword is the sword you're currently using, why do you want to sell it? If you're actually fighting in melee, the Oozing Blade is probably the best weapon in the game; if not, the Captain's Shiv and Guardian Claymore are useful for their stat bonuses.

It's tempting to keep a lot of equipment around, but the only things you absolutely want to never let go of are the shaped gear and various reagents you need for crafting artifacts, your current equipment, possibly some specific resistance equipment for specific areas, and pod piles. I have hoarding tendencies, but I forced myself to sell my junk eventually and didn't miss any of it.

—Alorael, who could never bring himself to actually put his various stones in his equipment, as it goes against his optimizing spirit. Thus, he sold all of the objects that normally go into gear. Somehow this made sense.

On the subject of stones, Golden Crystals seem to be somewhat rarer in G5 than in G4; just getting enough to enhance one of every type of equipment that can be enhanced (weapon, belt, body armour, gauntlets, boots, ring) can actually be impossible if you don't join the right faction. (Astoria is a good choice, and eventually nets you two crystals; Ghaldring's only worth one, and that one can be found by other factions if you sneak into his lab.)

There are about 3 eyebeast eyes available including one in the Kayar's Spire area that doesn't require killing the eyebeast. I got more than enough golden crystals at the end. You just have to be willing to poke around to loot and kill everything that looks at you the wrong way. Gaah, those eyes.

Originally Posted By: Clawbugs of the Conciliator

—Alorael, who could never bring himself to actually put his various stones in his equipment, as it goes against his optimizing spirit. Thus, he sold all of the objects that normally go into gear. Somehow this made sense.

Yea, I do this too, and I could probably sell my crafting items, I've never gotten into that, its not necessary on easy

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Before you sell it, combine the Perfect Fyora Scale with a gold ring on an anvil to make a Shield Ring, which sells for more money than the scale and the gold ring put together.

Are you sure about this? I'm pretty sure the Shield Ring actually goes for *less* than the gold ring + fyora scale combined. Actually, I think it goes for less than the fyora scale alone. 62 for the shield ring and 100 for the scale, IIRC.

I don't know that an extra 12 gold justifies the additional labor required to make it. I'd definitely refuse if Phipps weren't standing right next to a forge and perfectly willing to buy your leftovers.

—Alorael, who thinks he'll stick with selling the reagents separately in an effort to avoid all forging so that he can be sure he isn't wasting reagents.

• 2 months later...