Which potions/scrolls/wands do you use?

There are a lot of potions/scrolls/wands in Avernum (especially Avernum 3), and I was wondering which ones you veterans use throughout the games.

For me,

Potions:

Invulnerability Elixir

Heroic Brew

Knowledge Brew

Energy Potion/Elixir

Healing Potion/Elixir

Scrolls:

Divine Host

Dispel Barrier

Wands:

Wand of Bolts/Ice/Lightning/Fire, but only early on.

Like Kel, I mostly stick to things that restore energy and things that give spell points. Invulnerability potions and elixirs see occasional use.

—Alorael, who holds on to consumable sources of buffs but never uses them. Everything else gets converted into cash, which is somewhat silly in the early Avernums as you can't do very much with it.

I use everything except for slowing wands and scrolls.....don't really see the need for them. Even my mage hardly ever uses the Slow spell. Spray Acid and Control Foes scrolls might get used a couple of times, but I don't really find them very effective.

For potions I use everything, and I know you didn't ask about it but I don't use First Aid Kits cause they don't work very well. But maybe it's only me.

I usually use potions that heal or restore spell points, and I tend to stockpile invulnerability potions until the end of the game. I use knowledge brews when I find them, but I only made them in E3. I also use Graymold Salves, especially in the A1 demon fort.

I'll occasionally use a wand of slowing, or something my first character happens to have at the time (Usually because I'm bored). I sell most wands and scrolls, though.

When I am not cheating on the Avernum games, which is rare because I've beaten them so mant times I usually just want to go in blasting, I only ever keep energy restoratives, and I make as many of them as possible. Knowledge brews go into the gullet of my main spellcaster, the very high level mage-priest. I also buy every knowledge brew I ever find tongue.

Knowledge Brew. It's a beautiful thing. I use them--a lot, and for everybody. Especially after learning the recipie in A3.

I also use energy potions/elixirs (every so often), invulnerability potions/elixirs (rarely), and unshackling crystals (when needed). Plus, I keep the occasional buff item for when things get really, really desparate.

I have priests and mages who can cast every spell, so most items get sold to buy said spells.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I personally don't use any potions but the energy ones for my mages. My people are usually good enough to survive with 2 mages which alternate between healing and attacking with my archers. The only problem I ever have are money issues. Im always running out of cash after every main quest and have to do courier jobs to make back cash for quests.

For other items I use mainly divine host and piercing crystals because their effects are awsome and top notch.

Occassionaly I do use random potions/items I find though, like if Im ransacking goblin caves at the beggining of the game, Ill pick up and use stuff I can't really carry on. I always save all types of arrows though as it helps when fighting a variety of enemies(weak to strong)