Major Changes to Avernum 5

Randomizer

For those of you who failed to read the instructions, here are a few changes in Avernum 5 from the earlier games:

Tool use and the mage spell unlock don't have to be in the same character. Unlock now only removes the magical spell protecting the door (tinker's crystal will do the spell's effect). You need tool use to still unlock doors and remove traps. The highest level of TU needed in normal play is 18 and anything higher is for a reward or special key door. There are a few 20 difficulty doors in the Anama areas, but the items aren't worth raising TU that high.

You can only have 2 summoned creatures in your party at any one time. Jeff was a trifle upset at the mobs of creations attacking his poor boss monsters. There will be no more instant armies. Also shades are less powerful.

Parry has been decreased from 5% per level to 3% to prevent tanks that shrug of attacks.

Augmentation now gives less health.

Enduring shield provide 3% armor and essence armor provide 6% as well as reducing the chance of being hit. Essence armor no longer increases health. 200+ health spellcasters in the middle of the game were upsetting the balance of the game.

Running glass cannons is now a bad idea, at least in torment. Endurance still isn't a great increase to health until reaching level 10 or more, but it is become necessary.

Sliths get more health to make up for them not using a shield.

More items can't be sold so don't carry them around. Costs have been decreased to compensate. Also you don't have weight for items in quick use slots and/or your backpack.

Yep..I was actually feeling a wee bit wary when I first saw the weight allowances. But when I realized it was for armor weight and not backpack, I felt muuuch betterer. I also like it that I'm told that certain items can not be sold. I know past games let you sell most everything, but why bother to tote something around that you won't sell for much? Big waste of time.

---Zelda

I looked at the instructions and didn't get into them to deep, just look at all the pages to see what was there. One thing I didn't see was if there are hidden passages and fake doors. Does this mean that I should start walking into all the walls in the game to see what is hidden behind it? Or is this like A4 in that there are no hidden doors or passages?

There are secret passages, but you can't reach them by bashing walls anymore. Keep an eye out for very small black buttons on the walls. They can be hard to spot, particularly if you're in a dark area and you're not using any light source. Not all of them are clickable, either, just to make your life more difficult.

—Alorael, who can't remember where the first one is anymore. He also can't remember who or what first gives you a hint of how to find and use the switches.

WARNING: minor Secrets spoilers:

The first one is found in Blackcrag Oupost in Aminro's room. He's the nephil in the fort who complains about noises coming from behind the wall in his room.

The first real hint about and necessary use of switches is given when you are trapped under Fae's Farm in the Northern Isles, Chapter Two.

I did not notice any of these switches as a beta tester at all in the first chapter, until Jeff strongly began to hint about them.

-S-

I stumbled across the first one when I wanted to bring up a PC's inventory window - for whichever reason now escapes me - and hit the 'u'-button instead of the 'i'-button. Lo and behold! a little white letter appeared on a dark wall to reveal an even darker button. After this I remember walking through half the caves again looking for secret doors. Sheeesh.