Twisted Giant - Ow!! My head is broken!!

I'm playing on normal. I amped up my party as much as I good (which I *thought* was alot), went in and went some 25 or 30 rounds with this thing... and had barely put a dent in him before he blew us away!!!

Has anyone else managed this creature, or should I just skip this one and go on my way??? No spell does more than 30 points damage to him, and that's barely enough to show on his HP bar...

This one is nasty on torment and I was sucking up damage like a sponge with 75% being absorbed by armor. Keep healing your fighters and undazing them. The trick was to lure the giant out enough to get the ogres interested in helping you tame it. It just takes time to do and keep your spellcasters outside of that area attack.

hmmm... that's a good idea, drawing him out and getting the ogres involved!! I just dove into the room, which usually is okay on Normal difficulty, once I've buffed up as necessary. I'll try it again!!

I haven't been using those warrior combat moves much; I've read alot about them, but when I tried using them previously (admittedly, when I was *much* lower level), it seemed like once I used one, I couldn't use it again for so long that the battle ended. Maybe I'll try them again now...

hmmph...

After:

- changing difficulty to Easy

- buffing everyone to the max

- luring the giant into the other room,

where two of the ogres came over to help

- trying shield smash and leg thingie, neither of

which seemed to do anything

I still ended up with two ogres and two players down, and ended up having to cheat (ouchouchouch) to keep the other two alive long enough to get him to submit.

I guess these apocalyptic battles really aren't my cup of tea...

Originally by Derell Licht:

Quote:
I've read alot about them, but when I tried using them previously (admittedly, when I was *much* lower level), it seemed like once I used one, I couldn't use it again for so long that the battle ended. Maybe I'll try them again now...
Once is still better than none. I'm still low-level, so shield breaker and leg sweep are the only disciplines I use, but they are definitely helpful in battles against one tough opponent, to increase the amount of damage I do and reduce the amount of damage I take. Not a huge amount, admittedly, but it adds up over time.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Too slow.

Hmmm... weird, the Twisted Giant fight was one of the easiest recent (I've just also made it recently to Melanchion's Keep) battles. Are you sure you didn't cut any corners getting here? If not, I assume you have around level 30 and all the relevant spells around.

First of all, there are buffs and there are buffs. At this point in the game, you should have all the relevant spells, that is, you should be walking around with all the characters Enduring Armored, Steel Skinned and Augmented, and cast War Blessing, Protection, Prismatic Shield, Arcane Shield and Haste on all characters prior to a major battle.

Second of all, in this battle there's no need to keep your non-melee characters near the giant. Keep them far away, just at spells' range, so that his stomp attack won't hurt you. As for spells that affect him, as far as I remember, Arcane Blow and Smite did quite well here.

Third of all, you should be really using the Shield Breaker. Since the giant is not a spellcaster, he will not cast Protection on himself, so all your blows after the Shield Breaker will do much more damage. You should make it your general habit using the Shield Breaker at the start in _any_ battle with a single powerful foe (I use my archer for that). Of course, this will not work against spellcaster foes, which with repeated castings of protection spells are a pain in the ass (I recommend the Slith Horror in Upper Khora-Vysss for a good illustration).

Fourth of all, if you're still not doing enough damage, you might not have invested enough skill points in your melee damage (for the fighters) or into your spellcraft/magery (for the spellcasters). If that is so, you might want to retrace your steps, maybe do some unfinished sidequests, maybe stock up on knowledge brews / wisdom crystals and increase those skills. If you want a reference (I'm playing on normal too), I recall my priest doing about 60-70 damage with Smite and my mage about 90 with Arcane Blow after hitting the giant with a Shield Breaker first.

Okay, just for curiousity, I went back and tried this again, this time staying on Normal. My characters are L27 to L30. I use Arcane Shield and Prismatic Shield, Enduring Armour and Steel Skin on all, as well as the standard C and D spells. I also used ShieldBreaker and Leg Sweep a couple of times, which *did* seem to help.

End result: at end of battle, only my mage was still standing (with about 5 HP left), though the ogres managed to survive.

I've found that, if my priest is close enough to have Heal All and Unshackle Mind succeed, he is also within range of the giant's area-effect attack, whatever it is. That's why he ends up down every time. And, of course, healing elixers heal less damage than the creature does each round, which makes them useless...

I guess I'll be satisfied with having survived at this point!! The reward *is* nice...

Quote:
Originally written by Derell Licht:
I've found that, if my priest is close enough to have Heal All and Unshackle Mind succeed, he is also within range of the giant's area-effect attack, whatever it is. That's why he ends up down every time.
I found the best strategy was to have one fighter hold it off in melee while everyone else pelted it with arrows and spells from maximum range. That way, you don't need to worry about multi-target healing.