The reasoned character editor

Here it is.

Like all geneforge editors, copy the linked file into the geneforge3/data/scripts directory (remember to make a backup copy of z42dhonaldlg.txt, or even better of the whole directory).

To use the editor go to Dhonal's keep main library and talk with the shaper that usually says he can't be bothered.

Some of the features:

• Reset canister count
  • Teleport to starting point of each island
  • Move nearer/farther to/from shaper beliefs
  • Increase walking speed
  • The usual money, stat, skill, level increase.

Hope you like it smile

For any request for new featurs feel free to post.

If you're having problems with the scripts do post it here, it's the only way i have to fix it.

Quote:
I keep getting 'dialog script broken or absent when I try to use it'. Anyone else have this problem? Any way it can be fixed to use the editor?
When? When you load or when you try to talk with the shaper?

It happens when I try to talk to someone. It happens on two different editors I downloaded. The file names are exact, and I downloaded each more than once, but still get the message.

The two editors I tried:

1) the busy librarian in Dhonal's Keep (the one above)

2) sign post in south end

WHO were you talking to? I haven't encountered problems on mine, but others have said something like you. None mentioned who the problems were with, because when I went and checked in my game I talked to maybe one or two people and they worked. I might have missed the person you mean. Or something.

I'd like details, if possible. smirk

Yes, I was talking about your editor. It happens when I try to look at any post in South End, not just the one that is edited. I didn't try talking to anyone.

Now on the other editor I tried, where you talk to the librarian in Dhonal's Keep, everyone I tried to talk to had the same result.

Quote:
Originally written by arkadilo:
Now on the other editor I tried, where you talk to the librarian in Dhonal's Keep, everyone I tried to talk to had the same result.
It may be you have done a little mess with all the editors you downloaded wink
Reinstall Geneforge 3 (or simply put back the original script files), download the script (be sure the file contains all 199 talknodes) and try again. If it doesn't work i have a problem to solve :p

Btw are you using a macintosh?

[Edit]
try this: open my script in the browser, select all and then copy. Open z42dhonaldlg.txt in your geneforge/data/scripts folder, delete all and paste my script

I know nothing about scripts, so I never attempted an edit. Here is exactly what I did:

I first made a copy of the original script and pasted elsewhere. Then I downloaded the file (replacing the original). Then I'd open the game and get the broken script result. So then I'd shut it down and replace the edited script with the original. Then it works again.

I just downloaded the dhonal script and pasted in the scripts folder (I backed them up first though) and as soon as I enter the town I get the message in red below saying the script is broken or absent.

I am using winxp..

I tried opening the link you provided and copy/paste the stuff in the file but still doesn't solve the problem

I tried going to the silent shaper in the library but still the message keeps appearing.

frown

what can I do?

I'm sorry but you probably messed up the files with something else, i didn't touch the testing grounds

[edit]

Please try putting back the old files and then download the script (be sure to download it all)

Anyway tomorrow i should release a stand-alone savegame editor that doesn't mess in-game scripts.

Thanks for replying.

If doing a back up of the old scripts folder and downloading the files above and copying them into the scripts folder means to mess it, I definitely messed it up.

I don't think the file is not complete because I even marked the option "close when finished" in the dialogue box, the little window closed when it was fully downloaded. I even tried copy/paste ing from the link you gave someone else a few posts ago, but still didn't work.

I will anyway try restoring the old files I backed up.

Thanks.

The files? Note that my editor consists only of "z42dhonaldlg.txt" smile

Could you please click on this link , let it open, be sure the last lines read:

Code:
begintalknode 199;state = 60;nextstate = 56;condition = 1;question = "Max skills. (Warning: will unbalance the game!)";text1 = "You feel skillful";code =i =4;while(i<=22){alter_stat(i, 20);i = i+1;}break;
and then save the page in your geneforge3 script directory

Quote:
Originally written by Indeterminatus:
I'm sorry but you probably messed up the files with something else, i didn't touch the testing grounds

[edit]
Please try putting back the old files and then download the script (be sure to download it all)

Anyway tomorrow i should release a stand-alone savegame editor that doesn't mess in-game scripts.
Allow me to suggest that instead of putting up the script as a text file to be downloaded by browser, you bzip it or some such and include checksums. This is because that browser downloads tend to add carriage returns or linefeeds in all the wrong places, and may munge high-ascii characters and generally play havoc with scripts.

I realize that you have done the community a huge favor by writing the script, and you don't really owe us a release-quality piece of code. But it might make everyone happier if you packed it up more soundly.

Quote:
Originally written by MUDdex:
Allow me to suggest that instead of putting up the script as a text file to be downloaded by browser, you bzip it or some such and include checksums. This is because that browser downloads tend to add carriage returns or linefeeds in all the wrong places, and may munge high-ascii characters and generally play havoc with scripts.

I realize that you have done the community a huge favor by writing the script, and you don't really owe us a release-quality piece of code. But it might make everyone happier if you packed it up more soundly.
You're right, i should have done this from the beggining smile

[edit]Done.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...