Should Geneforge have been a pure sci-fi game?

Ash Lael

As is well known, the original plan was for Geneforge to be a fully sci-fi game, but this was changed because Jeff was scared that if it was too different, it wouldn't sell. The question is, would the sci-fi version of Geneforge (and resulting sequels) have been better than what we have?

I think it could have worked fine, but it would have been a bit less original. The current quirky mix of science and magic, which is vague on technical details but pungeant in flavor, is kind of different from anything else I know. The other science-magic mixtures I know seem to have physics as the dominant science component, and the mixture ends up being very abstract and antiseptic, with alternate planes and invisible mechanisms. Geneforge being a biological fantasy, the magic is all raw and messy, and this is cool.

If you like, Geneforge is science fiction, just set in a world where the laws of nature are rather different from what we know. The main difference I imagine it would make, for the game to be really sci-fi, is that everything would have to be a little more rigorously explained and consistent. And that might well be too tough a constraint for good game mechanics.

I'm glad it is the way it is. Genetics and allied trades are very active right now. To make convincing science fiction would have required a lot of effort in learning what the science looks like now, science that is subject to change between game sequels. Convincing science fiction, like convincing historical fiction, requires more author research than it used to.

If it's going to be unconvincing, space-opera type science fiction, why not simply make it fantasy to begin with?

The stuff about DNA tinkering (with no further details on gene expression) is simply part of the setting for the adventure, and doesn't detract from the fun.

I think it works better the way it is. A pure sci-fi game wouldn't necessarily be worse but the concept of a medieval, magic based society stumbling on ways to manipulate DNA with magic makes it more original. The way I see it, it's pretty much how life would be if alchemy had turned out to be a valid scientific theory.

Could have gone either way, really. I really am curious as to how Jeff would do a futuristic society as opposed to the traditional 'olde' ones. But hey, he's good at what he does.

Quote:
Detriot Dan:

magic based society stumbling on ways to manipulate DNA with magic makes it more original

Says it all really. Not sure how you could have made the game better than this.

Thinking about it, there's another reason why I like keeping it the way it is. In the game as it stands, genetically modifying a human has rather unpleasant side effects. He loses his moral restraint and self-control, or at least gets a looser grasp on them. It's an important part of the game, because it sets up some of the dilemmas that give the world its "cold" feel. In in a sci-fi game it might start looking like commentary on real-world genetic engineering, and as such would be distracting or repelling. I like it better as "part of the magic."